Nothing is more annoying than finding blackheads on the chin. And the more you clear them, the more they reappear. They put a damper on your dream to achieve bright and glowing skin. But there is no need to worry.
Removing chin blackheads is no rocket science – anyone can do it at home. Here’s a complete guide to say goodbye to chin blackheads for good. But before that, let’s find out the causes of those pore-pluggers on your chin. Read on.
What Causes Blackheads On The Chin?
Blackheads are nothing but a very mild form of acne (just like whiteheads). Blocked hair follicles on your chin cause them. These bumps are called blackheads because their tips appear black due to oxidation. Blackheads can appear anywhere – on your nose, chin, shoulders, and arms. On your face, they usually occur on the nose, chin, and forehead areas.
A combination of factors often causes blackheads on the chin. These include:
- Hormonal imbalance: Hormonal imbalance during puberty, pregnancy, or your menstrual cycle can cause blackheads on the chin.
- Stress: The cells that produce sebum have stress receptors. So, stress can easily cause blackheads.
- Poor drainage of the lymphatic system: This makes it difficult for your body to get rid of toxins.
- Poor diet: If you do not follow a balanced diet, it may cause an imbalance in the small intestine, resulting in blackheads.
You can easily hide blackheads with concealers and makeup. And while it’s tempting to pick those ugly little bumps on your chin, keep your hands off and try these tips to get rid of them.
Tips To Get Rid Of Blackheads On The Chin At Home
A. Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Blackheads On The Chin
1. Exfoliate Regularly
Regular exfoliation removes dead skin cells from your chin, thus unclogging the pores. However, avoid over exfoliating as this may worsen the condition. Use gentle scrubs to exfoliate the area.
2. Prep The Skin By Exposing It To Steam
Before you start extracting the blackheads, prepare your skin. Put some warm water in a bowl and lean on it. Cover your head with a towel. This will open the pores and make extraction easier. You can add a few drops of tea tree oil in the water.
3. Avoid Squeezing The Blackhead With Your Nails
This will further aggravate the condition. Instead, use a blackhead remover or buy a blackhead removing tool.
4. Try Using Blackhead Removal Strips
There are many good quality blackhead removing strips available in the market. You can use any of them to avoid scarring your chin.
5. Use Sea Salt For Blackhead Removal
Sea salt is an excellent antibacterial that unclogs your pores. Mix sea salt with a few drops of lemon juice and a bit of water and then massage the mixture on your chin. It dissolves all the dirt and dead skin cells.
6. Consume Foods Rich In Vitamin C
Vitamin C is an antioxidant that protects and nurtures your skin and prevents acne, blemishes, and blackheads. It fights the harmful free radicals and inhibits bacterial growth. Consume foods rich in vitamin C, such as red bell pepper, papaya, strawberries, and dark leafy vegetables. You can also take vitamin C supplements. This helps in boosting collagen.
7. Apply Orange Peel
Dry some orange peels and powder them. Make a paste using some water and apply it to your chin. Leave it on for 15 minutes and then wash using warm water. This prevents excess oil production and dirt accumulation.
8. Avoid Scrubbing The Affected Area Vigorously
Forceful scrubbing scratches your skin. Moreover, it triggers more oil production and makes your blackheads worse.
9. Utilize The Power Of Aloe
Aloe vera gel is an extremely potent remedy for blackheads. Apply the gel directly on your chin and leave it on for 10 minutes. Wash it off with lukewarm water.
10. Use Blackhead Strips With Milk And Honey
Milk and honey make a wonderful combination for treating blackheads. Mix raw honey with a bit of raw milk and make a paste. Microwave it for a few seconds and let it cool. Dip a cotton strip in this mixture and apply to your chin. Pull it off in one go after 20 minutes.
11. Try Clay Masks For Blackheads
Clay masks are extremely beneficial in clearing the dirt and grime from your skin. Mix clay (Fuller’s earth or bentonite clay) with water and make a paste. Apply it on the blackheads, and once it dries, wash it off.
12. Go The Honey And Cinnamon Way
These staples from your pantry are excellent remedies for blackheads when used together. Mix a teaspoon of cinnamon with a tablespoon of honey. Take a thin layer of a cotton strip, dip it in the mixture, and place on your chin. Let it rest for 20 minutes and pull it off.
13. Use Lemon For Blackhead Removal
Lemon is great for treating blackheads, and it also prevents blemishes and marks. All you need to do is squeeze a lemon on a cotton ball and apply it directly to the blackheads. Once it dries, reapply. Do this 3-4 times and then wash your face with lukewarm water.
14. Try Sugar And Jojoba Oil For Chin Blackheads
Combine one teaspoon of each ingredient and apply on your chin. Use your fingertips to massage the area gently. This not only removes blackheads but also keeps the skin moisturized.
15. Mix Vinegar And Mint
Mint and vinegar work wonders for blackhead removal. For this remedy, you will need 5-6 finely chopped mint leaves. Add a teaspoon of vinegar and make a paste. Add this paste to a cup of water and store it in a bottle. Apply the water to the affected area.
16. Oatmeal And Sugar
Grind half a teaspoon of oatmeal and add a teaspoon of sugar to it. Add half a teaspoon of coconut or olive oil (just to moisten it) and use the mixture to exfoliate your chin. Rub it for 20 seconds and leave it on for 10 minutes. Wash it off and feel the difference.
17. Use The Egg White Face Mask
This is a wonderful peel-off face mask that you can use on your entire face. All you need is one egg white and some facial tissue. Wash your face and clean it. Place the dry tissue on the area where you have blackheads and apply the egg white over the tissue using a brush. Apply two layers of egg white and wait until it dries. Once dry, peel the tissue.
18. Baking Soda And Water For Chin Blackhead Removal
Take a teaspoon of baking soda and add water to it to make a paste. Apply it on your chin and rub it for a while. Leave it on for at least 10 minutes before washing off.
These home remedies will surely help you get rid of those pesky blackheads on your chin quickly. If the problem persists, visit a dermatologist who will prescribe topical and oral treatments. Usually, these treatment options are available to you in case you don’t want to try home remedies.
B. Medical Treatments To Stop Blackheads On The Chin
1. Drugs Containing Retinoid
Retinoid drugs are not available without prescriptions as these are extremely strong and should not be used without consulting a dermatologist. These drugs unclog the hair follicles and control the production of oil and sebum. These are available in gels, liquids, and creams. These drugs are mainly used to treat severe acne.
Word Of Caution: Women who are pregnant or planning to conceive should be careful while using retinoids.
Antibiotics are not prescribed for treating blackheads, but they help in reducing inflammation and control and prevent infection. They help the topical creams give better results.
3. Laser Treatment
Laser treatment addresses the problem of blackheads from the roots. A laser beam is directed at your face, which attacks the bacteria hiding deep within the pores and follicles and extracts them. After the therapy, you might experience redness on your skin. But don’t worry – it will go away in a day or two. This is usually performed by a dermatologist.
Instead of squeezing those ugly black dots on your chin and making it worse, try this method called extraction. Dermatologists do this. They use devices that are the size of a pen to squeeze bacteria, pus, and oil from your hair follicles. The extraction process may (or may not) leave a scar. If it does, it heals within a day or two.
C. Other Treatment Options
In case the other ways of blackhead removal didn’t work out, you can try these methods:
- Dermabrasion: This is a type of skin treatment where the dermatologist uses a rotating instrument to exfoliate your skin and remove its uppermost layer to make it smooth and even out any sun damage, acne, blackheads, fine lines, and other skin issues.
- Chemical Peeling: Here, the dermatologist applies a chemical solution to your skin, which eventually causes blisters that can be peeled off, exposing smoother skin.
- Hormone Therapy: Your fluctuating hormones are to be blamed (in the first place) for any blackheads and acne that you get. Doctors often prescribe oral contraceptives and anti-androgen medicines to control blackheads and acne.
Try these tips to prevent those ugly dots from popping up now and then. And if you have any questions and queries or want to share anything, the comments section is right below.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Is it possible to avoid blackheads?
Yes, it’s possible if you follow a proper skin care routine for treating blackheads and acne.
Is it okay to squeeze the blackheads?
No! Avoid it even if you are using blackhead removing tools. Let the professionals take care of that.
Can scrubbing make my blackheads worse?
Yes, it can, if you over scrub the affected area. Over scrubbing removes the sebum, and your sebaceous glands end up producing excessive sebum, thus worsening the problem.
Are pore strips and masks good for skin?
It depends on your skin type. In any case, these strips should be used with caution as they might irritate your skin.
Is it fine to use makeup on blackhead and acne-prone skin?
Yes, but ensure that you are not using oil-based makeup and skin products. Also, remember to remove every trace of makeup at the end of the day.
- 7 Simple Ways To Reduce Pimples On The Head
- Best Face Washes For Black Heads – Our Top 10
- 6 Effective Home Remedies To Cure White Spots On Lips
- 4 Simple Ways To Treat Whiteheads
- Remedies for Whiteheads: Beginning of Acne
Latest posts by Ramona Sinha (see all)
- Face Mites: Causes And How To Treat Them - August 23, 2019
- 15 Best Back Scrubbers Of 2019 - August 19, 2019
- How To Get Rid Of Pockmarks? Is It Possible To Get Rid Of Them? - August 19, 2019
- 10 Best Feminine Washes That Keep You Super Fresh – 2019 - August 8, 2019
- Epsom Salt For Acne: Is It Really Effective? - July 31, 2019