Want to add extra volume, shine, and oomph to your hairstyle? Hair extensions are your best bet. They are easy to install and feel light on your natural hair. These extensions are mostly made of 100% Remy human hair that is easy to wash and does not wick off natural hair moisture. This article is all about how to maintain and wash different hair extensions to maintain their luster and silky texture without any damage. Scroll down for a step-by-step guide.
Table Of Contents
How To Wash Hair Extensions – A Step-By-Step Guide
Step 1: Detangle The Extensions
This is the first and most important step before you start washing the hair extensions. Synthetic hair often tangles easily. Thus, brushing gently helps clear all the knots and detangle the extensions. Brush the extensions from bottom to top without pulling the hair out.
Use a wide-toothed comb or soft bristle brush while working on extensions. Take a single weft and place them over each other to form a bundle. This ensures that the hair does not form tangles during the washing process.
Step 2: Prepare The Sink
Fill the sink with lukewarm water, squirt about 2-3 pumps of organic shampoo, and create bubbles. To keep the shine and luster of the hair extensions intact, use a color-safe shampoo that does not contain parabens, sulfates, and alcohol.
Step 3: Wash Every Hair Weave
Wash 2-3 wefts of the hair extensions at a time with a moisturizing shampoo. Hold the top of the weft in one hand, dip it into lukewarm water, and wash gently with light strokes. Do not rub them vigorously as it may damage the texture.
Hair extensions are made of synthetic hair, and shampooing does not strip off the natural oils. However, gentle washing is essential to maintain the shine and texture. Place each weft on a neat towel after washing and repeat the process for the rest of the wefts.
Step 4: Condition The Weft
A conditioner helps soften the extensions and restore their shine. Apply a dollop of natural conditioner onto each weft from top to bottom. Massage gently and leave it on for 5-10 minutes. Rinse thoroughly in lukewarm water to remove all the residue.
Step 5: Apply Deep Conditioning Mask
Apply deep conditioning cream or hair mask to make the extensions soft and smooth and leave it on for an hour or overnight. Apply hair mask on damp extensions and follow it up with gentle and thorough rinsing after an hour. If you want to keep the hair mask overnight, bundle it softly and cover it with a shower cap. Rinse it thoroughly the next day for a super soft and supple texture.
Step 6: Rinse Thoroughly
Rinsing in cool water is important after applying a hair mask. Any residue on the hair extensions makes them greasy and will weigh down your original hair. Washing in cold water seals the cuticles, locks in moisture, and adds shine to the hair extensions. Wash each weft thoroughly under running tap water.
Step 7: Air Dry
Towel dry your extensions after rinsing the extensions to absorb the extra oil without damaging them. Do not rub the towel as it may damage the extensions and develop tangles. Place the wefts on a microfiber towel and let them air dry naturally. If you want frizz- and tangle-free wefts, apply a lightweight hair oil with your fingers and comb with a wide-toothed brush.
Step 8: Blow Dry
Before blow drying your hair extensions, apply a heat-protectant spray. Use the blow dryer on a cool setting to prevent any heat damage. Start by drying the roots of the wefts and follow to the ends. Use the blow dryer in a downward motion to smoothen the extensions and prevent tangles.
Step 9: Comb Each Weft
After drying the extension, comb each weft with a wide-toothed brush. After combing, bundle the wefts together and comb from top to bottom.
If you have beaded hair extensions and are worried about taking care of it, the following section may help you.
Technique For Washing Beaded Hair Extensions
- Microbeads are delicate and may fall out or drop easily. Thus, use a loop brush or nylon boar bristle brush to detangle knots.
- Wash each microbead weft with a shampoo that is free of silicones, parabens, and alcohol.
- Apply the shampoo gently through the hair from root to tip. Do not tug or pull the wefts as they may detach from the natural hair or the bead may get damaged.
- Apply conditioner to the tips of the extensions to moisturize them. Do not apply it to the root or bonds of the beads.
- Rinse the shampoo and conditioner out of the hair extensions thoroughly as any product residue may damage the hair and beads.
- As the microbead extensions are not detachable, frequent styling or heating tools may damage the natural texture of your hair. Hence, use heat protectant sprays every time you use a styling tool.
Scroll down to our next section to know the techniques of washing feather hair extensions.
How To Care For Feather Hair Extensions
- Feather extensions can be washed, brushed, blow dried, straightened, curled, or styled easily as per the requirement.
- Handle the micro links of the feather extensions with care. Do not brush over the micro links as it might damage the roots.
- Always use a mild shampoo and dry the extensions in low heat.
- The feather extensions may detach from the roots as the hair grows. Save them in a pouch and reinstall after two weeks.
Hair extensions boost hair length, volume, and add an X-factor to your natural hair. But they need proper washing and care to maintain their shine and texture. Try the techniques of washing mentioned above and slay your hair game.
Frequently Asked Questions
How often should I wash my hair extensions?
As hair extensions are made of 100% Remy human hair and receive natural oils from the scalp, they need to be washed once a week or fortnightly.
What products should I use on clip-in hair extensions?
Use natural, organic shampoos and conditioners to wash clip-in hair extensions. They should be free of alcohol, parabens, and harsh chemicals to retain the shine and texture of the hair extensions.
Does purple shampoo work on hair extensions?
Yes, a purple shampoo with organic ingredients can work on hair extensions.
How do you sleep with hair extensions?
Tie a loose braid with the hair extensions before you go to sleep to prevent friction and reduce tangles.
How do I wash my glued-in hair extensions?
Apply a natural shampoo gently on glued-in hair extensions, followed by a conditioner. Apply a deep conditioning mask once a week to smoothen the extensions. Do not use heat styling tools frequently as it may damage the extensions. Before heat styling, spray a heat protectant spray to maintain shine and prevent any damage.
- 15 Best Clip-In Hair Extensions With A Buying Guide
- 15 Best Hair Extensions Of 2020 – Get Soft And Beautiful Hair
- 15 Best Halo Hair Extensions For Stylish, Long, And Thick Hair
- The 10 Best Tape-In Hair Extensions
Latest posts by Priyanka S (see all)
- 11 Best Exercise Ball Chairs Of 2021 For Better Posture - March 17, 2021
- 13 Best Cruelty-Free Eye Creams For Dark Circles And Crow’s Feet - March 1, 2021
- Differences Between Hair Shedding And Hair Loss - January 11, 2021
- How To Do A Reverse Perm At Home – A Step-By-Step Tutorial - November 25, 2020
- Do I Have Thick Or Thin Hair? Ways To Check The Hair Texture And Beauty Hacks - November 23, 2020