Many people use toner to rev the looks of their colored hair as it gives a new and enhanced look to it. It gives a silky touch to your colored hair and helps it shine. However, it is a different struggle altogether to remove toner from your hair. In this article, we discuss various ways to remove it from your tresses easily. In addition, we share some after-care tips that you should follow religiously to maintain healthy hair. Continue reading.
In This Article
Should I Remove Toner From My Hair?
Yes, if you are not happy with the results. It is good to consult a professional hairstylist for the procedure as the toner removal process often makes the hair dry and brittle. You can also do it at home. However, you need to stick to a thorough after-care routine to restore hair health.
Hair toners fade over time, and you can quicken the process by frequently washing your hair. It may take around a month to completely wash out the toner from the hair. If you do not want to wait that long and remove the toner from your hair at home, follow the steps mentioned below.
How To Get Toner Out Of Your Hair: 3 Simple Ways
1. Hydrogen Peroxide And Shampoo
Hydrogen peroxide is a bleaching agent that helps to strip the toner from your hair.
You Will Need
- 100 ml of hydrogen peroxide solution
- 100 ml of a mild shampoo
- Rubber or plastic gloves
- Mix the ingredients and store the mixture in a spray bottle.
- Spritz the mixture on your damp hair, focusing on areas with the toner.
- Wear gloves and spread the solution evenly on the hair strands.
- Wait for 2-5 minutes. Do not leave for any longer than 5 minutes.
- Rinse well with lukewarm water.
- Apply a hydrating conditioner and wash off with room temperature water.
2. Baking Soda And Shampoo
Baking soda is abrasive and may help exfoliate the toner from your hair. Mixing it with a clarifying shampoo removes dirt and buildup from the hair and scalp.
You Will Need
- 2 tablespoons of baking soda
- 10 ml of clarifying shampoo
- Mix the baking soda and the shampoo.
- Scrub your hair gently with this mixture.
- Rinse your hair with lukewarm water.
- Apply a nourishing conditioner.
- Wash off with room temperature water.
3. Lemon Juice And Conditioner
Lemon juice has natural bleaching and oxidizing properties that can help remove the toner. It is a safe and natural option, but you must use it sparingly as it can dry out the hair. Use it within two days of using the toner.
You Will Need
- 2 tablespoons of lemon juice (adjust the quantity as per your hair length)
- 15 ml of hydrating conditioner
- Mix the conditioner and lemon juice.
- Apply it to your hair using your fingers or a wide-toothed comb.
- Leave it on for 20-30 minutes. Cover your hair with a shower cap.
- Wash your hair with lukewarm water.
Follow these recipes to remove green, blue, and ash toners from the hair. However, to prevent dryness, follow the after-care tips in the next section.
Tips To Care For Your Hair After Toner Removal
- Switch to a hydrating and mild shampoo that does not contain drying alcohols and sulfates. Go for shampoos containing ingredients like glycerin, plant oils, and xanthan gum.
- Always follow up with a nourishing conditioner.
- Use a deep conditioning mask at least once a week.
- Massage your scalp and hair ends with nourishing oils like coconut, almond, and jojoba oils.
- Avoid dye jobs immediately after removing the toner, as too much chemical processing can damage your hair.
- Get regular trims, especially if you notice dry or split ends.
Toners help give your hair a silky finish and shiny appearance. It helps neutralize the hair color and enhance the look. However, it is not easy to remove toner from your hair. Follow the tips and methods discussed in the article to quicken the removal process. You can use ingredients like baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, or lemon to get rid of toner from the hair. You can also visit a hair professional to remove it. After the process, you may also have to take extra care of your hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for the toner to naturally wash out of your hair?
It may take about 4-6 weeks for the toner to fade with each wash.
How long should you leave the toner on your hair?
Leave the toner on your hair for not more than 30 minutes or the time specified by the manufacturer.
Does toner damage your hair?
Yes, a toner can dry out the hair and cause breakage if applied too often or added and removed too often.
Can I use shampoo to wash out toner from my hair?
Yes, you may use clarifying and anti-dandruff shampoos to remove toner from your hair.
- Toner helps keep colored hair shiny and silky, but it can be challenging to remove it from your hair.
- Hair toner fades over time, and you can speed up the process by washing your hair frequently.
- You can use hydrogen peroxide, baking soda, or lemon juice to eliminate toner from your tresses.
- Maintain healthy hair by massaging your scalp and hair ends with nourishing oils and using a mild hydrating shampoo after removing toner.