Like maxi dresses were not enough, maxi skirts started seeing a major comeback a few years ago. In a way, I was glad they were back in fashion because they are incredibly comfortable and effortlessly stylish. However, the one thing that continued to bother me was that it might look funny on me as I fall under the not-so-tall category. I also have petite friends who had similar inhibitions. But, there had to be a way to crack this, I thought, and dug in deeper. It turns out, those fashion myths were just that – myths, and there is a method to this madness just like everything else. Let’s talk about how to wear a maxi skirt today. Stick around, and we’ll remove any or all mind blocks you have about maxi skirts.
Different Ways To Wear A Maxi Skirt
- Vertical Striped Maxi Skirt With Jacket And Boots
- Chiffon Maxi Skirt With A Center Split
- Black Printed Maxi Skirt With A White Shirt
- Blue Printed Maxi Skirt With A Belt
- Burgundy Maxi Skirt With An Off Shoulder Top
- Pastel Pleated Maxi Skirt With A White Tank Top
- Gray Cotton Maxi Skirt With A Printed Sleeveless Top
- High Waisted Maxi Skirt With A Plain White Top
- Indian Ethnic Maxi Skirt With White Shirt And Tribal Jewelry
- Black Pleated Maxi Skirt In Sheer Fabric
- Floral Maxi Skirt With Denim Shirt/Jacket
- Long Blue Maxi Skirt With A Plain Top
- Light Maxi Skirt In Chiffon Fabric With A Side Split
- Knotted Maxi Skirt
- Tulle Maxi Skirt With Frills And A Plain Top
- Pleated Maxi Skirt With A White Lace Top
- Black Cotton Maxi Skirt With A Side Split
- Lularoe Maxi Skirt Converted Into A Tube Top
- Black Horizontal Striped Maxi Skirt
- Plain Black Maxi Skirt With A Tie & Dye Top
There’s no right or wrong way of doing this, so if we need to address the big question – “How To Wear A Maxi Skirt?”, I might give you more than one answer, more like 20! Yes, 20 ways of wearing a maxi dress! And, there’s one that’s meant for each of us. Something to lean on and build upon.
1. Vertical Striped Maxi Skirt With Jacket And Boots
Vertical stripes are a staple for maxis. You could go with a similar design in any color and match it with a contrast plain tank top, and throw on a leather jacket, fedora hat, and either boots or shoes (both look equally good). And it also makes for a perfect winter/fall evening dress.
2. Chiffon Maxi Skirt With A Center Split
An outfit that screams summer – airy, breezy, and chic. A simple white tank top, wedges, and a pair of shades are all you need to add oomph to your summer day out.
3. Black Printed Maxi Skirt With A White Shirt
We can never have too many maxi skirts, can we? There are so many ways of styling your maxi skirt, yet, when you look at a new style, it feels fresh. Here’s one such effortless outfit idea you must try if you have not already.
4. Blue Printed Maxi Skirt With A Belt
An outfit idea that is slightly offbeat, but a lot of fun. Just tuck in your printed T-shirt and bump it up with a belt, peep toes or platform heels during spring and summers. You can match the outfit with boots if it’s fall.
5. Burgundy Maxi Skirt With An Off Shoulder Top
You thought you could not wear a maxi skirt to a slightly formal set up, didn’t you? A beautiful burgundy skirt matched with an off shoulder lace top makes for a classy outfit.
6. Pastel Pleated Maxi Skirt With A White Tank Top
Pleated maxi skirts in pastel colors with undertones of peach, pink, mint green, olive green, etc. give you an elegant silhouette. Either wear a plain top or a floral one, and a chunky piece of necklace or a string of pearls – anyway, it’s a total win-win.
7. Gray Cotton Maxi Skirt With A Printed Sleeveless Top
If you do not have a gray maxi skirt yet, just get one already. There is just something about the color that makes it go fabulously with almost everything.
8. High Waisted Maxi Skirt With A Plain White Top
A high waisted maxi skirt needs no other accessories. Just the skirt and a crop top will complete the look. Minimalistic, yet stylish.
9. Indian Ethnic Maxi Skirt With White Shirt And Tribal Jewelry
The best part about the ethnic maxi skirts is that they swing both ways. A simple ikat long skirt can be paired with a crop top, an off shoulder, a tank, whatever, for a Bohemian theme. Go with chunky pieces of oxidized silver jewelry to take it to the next level. Or, you could wear it with traditional tops made with Banaras or raw silk material to make it work for special occasions. Women with just about any body type can wear these skirts. If you fall under the pear or apple shaped body type and have apprehensions, just drop it all and go with this maxi skirt style.
10. Black Pleated Maxi Skirt In Sheer Fabric
If you have a petite body and think long, overarching maxi skirts fall flat, here’s something that is meant for you. The sheer fabric gives definition to the inner skirt, and it goes with almost any kind of top.
11. Floral Maxi Skirt With Denim Shirt/Jacket
Keep up with the spring vibes in this floral maxi skirt, but add an extra layer with a denim jacket or shirt to look urbane and chic. You can opt out of it too, but floral with denim is an eclectic choice of outfit.
12. Long Blue Maxi Skirt With A Plain Top
Are you struggling to style your printed maxi skirt? Hang on for a second. Just pick that plain black T-shirt, tuck it in, pull up your pumps, and add some junk jewelry if you please. In fact, high neck T-shirts work both ways – with or without neck pieces.
13. Light Maxi Skirt In Chiffon Fabric With A Side Split
Wondering what to wear to a date night? Is a maxi skirt one of your options? You should go with it. It looks effortless and totally fitting.
14. Knotted Maxi Skirt
Just like knotted maxi dresses, knotted maxi skirts are so in. See the difference a simple design element can make to an outfit.
15. Tulle Maxi Skirt With Frills And A Plain Top
A tulle or lace maxi skirt by itself is an accessory that needs nothing else. Be it an evening soiree you have planned or a date night, this outfit is dreamy and whimsical.
16. Pleated Maxi Skirt With A White Lace Top
Here’s another way to style your pleated maxi skirt. Because we can never get enough of off shoulder tops.
17. Black Cotton Maxi Skirt With A Side Split
You know what is better than a long black cotton skirt? A long, black, cotton skirt with slits. Yes, that with a crop top will make you look like a diva. If you are not comfortable with crop tops and have a curvy body type, just go with any top of your choice. That’s the thing with maxi skirts – people with all body types can wear them.
18. Lularoe Maxi Skirt Converted Into A Tube Top
I’m not sure if you have heard of this, but the Lularoe maxi skirt has been a rage since its inception. The concept is to take one piece of garment and convert it into many styles. Like a maxi style skirt can be styled as a tube top, a high waisted skirt, or a low waisted skirt, etc. It’s also perfect for pregnant women because it stretches and takes your body shape.
19. Black Horizontal Striped Maxi Skirt
Another design option for the hourglass and petite body types. You can pair this skirt with simple tank tops, shirts or loose and flowing tops. Accessories like belt, boots, hats, and statement jewelry are other interesting ways to customize your look.
20. Plain Black Maxi Skirt With A Tie & Dye Top
An uber chic way of styling your plain black maxi skirt is to pair it up with a tie and dye top. Looks like a maxi dress from the front and a maxi skirt from behind. Style your hair into some beachy waves, and you’re well on your way to your next beach vacation.
- How To Wear A Maxi Skirt In Summer
Keep your summer maxi skirts airy, flowy, soft, and breezy. Make it all about tanks and asymmetrical maxi skirts. Pair it with spaghetti tops, go for cotton skirts with tank tops, or convert maxi skirts into tube tops. Style your hair in a messy bun or beachy waves, strut around in flip flops, throw on statement jewelry, and enjoy the weather. Don’t worry if you were not able to crack the summer body this season, you can still have a work around.
- How To Wear A Maxi Skirt In Winter
In winters, it is all about layers. So, do a lot of denim, leather jackets, sweaters, and scarves. Like we discussed, boots are welcome too!
- How To Wear A Maxi Skirt In Spring
Add a lot of floral, colour and fun while styling your maxi skirt. Because that is what spring is all about, isn’t it?
Frequently Asked Questions
How to wear a maxi skirt without looking fat?
Avoid a head to toe figure hugging outfit. The idea is to leave either the top or the bottom part of your outfit more flowing. So, the fabrics you choose and the tops you pair them with will make all the difference, meaning, make you look slimmer. Another way is to add subtle layers like a half denim jacket, plaid shirts tied at the waist, etc., to steer the focus away.
How to wear a maxi skirt if you’re short?
Do not go for long and billowed upskirt models. Go with straight cuts, and preferably with vertical stripes. The design makes you look taller by creating an illusion. Of course, always go for platform heels, wedges or pumps; otherwise, you might topple over your skirt.
How to wear long skirts without looking frumpy?
Pair prints with plain and do not go overboard with the colors, design, layers, etc. Too much of anything is not good.
What shoes to wear with a maxi dress?
Usually, anything elevated should be your choice of footwear for maxi dresses. Even if you are tall, a little elevation adds to the silhouette. For shorter women, it will prevent your skirt from falling under your feet. Having said that, gladiators, flip-flops, pumps, boots, shoes, and just about anything goes with maxi skirts.
The list is like a bottomless pit. Your options are unending, so don’t hesitate to style it differently than others. ‘Cos there’s no right or wrong way to do things unless they are outlandish. Frankly, that’s okay too! I’ll let you marinate with these ideas for some time and see you soon with another post. Ta-da!
- How To Style Your Hijab In 28 Different Gorgeous Ways
- What To Do With Old Sarees
- Your Guide To Wearing Palazzo – Everything You Need To Know
- How To Wear Leggings The Right Way? Everything You Need To Know