When it comes to skincare, hyaluronic acid has changed the game. It totally revolutionized the skincare industry with its anti-aging and super-moisturizing properties. It is now making its way into hair care products. It claims to make your hair smooth and glossy while increasing hair thickness and length. That’s definitely #hairgoals! Let us find out whether this powerhouse ingredient is really worth introducing into your hair care routine. Read on to learn all about the benefits of hyaluronic acid for your hair!
Table Of Contents
What Is Hyaluronic Acid?
Hyaluronic acid (HA) or hyaluronan is found naturally in our eyes, skin, and bone joints. This clear, gooey substance is hydrophilic (water-loving), so it attracts water and keeps your tissues moist and lubricated. Research says just one gram of hyaluronic acid can bind up to 6 liters of water (1)! Thus, it is known as nature’s moisturizer.
Hyaluronic acid has a gel-like consistency due to its unique viscoelastic properties (1). This helps in providing structural support to the skin, leaving it firm and plump. Chemically, it is a biopolymer made of N-acetyl glucosamine and D-glucuronic acid (2).
Hyaluronic acid has the following properties (1)
- Hygroscopic (attracts water)
- Bacteriostatic effect (prevents the growth of bacteria)
- Biocompatibility (compatible with living tissue and does not have a toxic effect)
- Anti-inflammatory (does not cause inflammation)
- Anti-oedematous (prevents swelling)
- Antioxidant (fights free radical damage)
It is widely used in cosmetics, tissue engineering, drug administration, and wound healing as it can promote cell regeneration without any side effects.
So, can we use hyaluronic acid to promote hair growth? Find out in the next section.
Hyaluronic Acid for Hair Growth: Does It Work?
Hyaluronic acid may help promote healthy hair growth. It is believed to act as a fertilizer that nourishes the hair and scalp, thus promoting cell rejuvenation. Anecdotal evidence suggests that it stimulates hair growth and thickness.
As we age, the hyaluronic acid in our body decreases. This is true for the dermal cells surrounding our hair follicles, too. This can be one of the reasons why our hair turns dry and brittle hair as we get older. So, replenishing hyaluronic acid can help in conditioning the hair so it looks smooth and feels soft. This humectant locks in moisture which smoothens cuticles, making the hair strands stronger and less prone to breakage.
Apart from improving elasticity, it can also add shine to your hair as sealed cuticles reflect light evenly!
Thus, hyaluronic acid may help give you longer, thicker, and glossier hair. However, there is no scientific evidence to prove this.
So, how do you use hyaluronic acid on your hair properly? Keep reading to learn how to use it in your hair care routine.
How To Use Hyaluronic Acid For Hair Growth
- After stepping out of the shower, take a pea-sized amount of HA serum. Be careful not to use too much serum as it may make your hair greasy and limp.
- Gently massage the product into your scalp with your fingertips for 5-10 minutes.
- You can use a few more drops of serum on the rest of your hair. Rub the product between your palms and evenly distribute it throughout the length of your hair.
Note: Do not towel drying your hair before you apply the HA serum.
You can use HA for hair growth as well as a host of other benefits. It can hydrate your hair and reduce frizz and brittleness. The most important thing to remember is that you only need to use a tiny amount of it as it absorbs 1000 times its weight in water!
Here’s how you can use hyaluronic acid to treat various hair problems:
- Fight Frizz: It is most effective when you use it on damp hair. Simply apply the product evenly from the roots to the tips of your hair.
- Strengthen Hair: Simply mix a few drops of HA in your deep conditioner. This will up your deep conditioning treatment since hyaluronic acid is super hydrating for your hair.
- Refresh Curls: This holds true for 2-day curls. HA will replenish moisture and add life to your droopy curls. Simply apply it through the lengths of your hair.
- Protect Colored Hair: Apply HA serum to your chemically processed hair. This will restore moisture, seal the cuticles, and protect your hair.
We have learned about the many benefits of using hyaluronic acid for hair. But, what about its side effects? Find out how safe it is to use in the next section.
Are There Side Effects Of Using Hyaluronic Acid For Your Hair?
No, hyaluronic acid is safe to use for your hair. Since it is a natural component of your body, it does not cause any side effects. Just keep in mind to use little amounts of it as it can dry out your hair.
So, hyaluronic acid can transform your dull, dehydrated locks without any harmful side effects. If you are wondering which products with hyaluronic acid to incorporate into your hair care regimen – we have you covered! Check out our best picks below.
Top Hyaluronic Acid Hair Products
IGK Thirsty Girl Coconut Milk Anti-Frizz Shampoo is rich in coconut milk and hyaluronic acid. This super nourishing and moisturizing product will lock in moisture and keep your hair frizz-free all day long! It can be used on color-treated hair as it offers UV protection. Thus, it prevents your hair color from fading quickly. The ingredients used in this product are plant-based and cruelty-free.
- Hydrates the hair and scalp
- Safe for color-treated hair
- Contains artificial fragrance
This lightweight hair mist is a must-have if you have frizzy or dull hair. This lightweight formula is moisturizing and non-greasy. It contains grape stem cells, hyaluronic acid, and platinum fiber that nourish, strengthen, and protect your hair with their potent antioxidants. This eco-friendly brand does not use harmful chemicals. It imparts shine and radiance to your hair with the iridescent extracts of pearls in it.
- Imparts shine
- Enhances hair color
- Contains phenoxyethanol
True to its name, Noah Restorative Treatment Mask has hydrating ingredients that replenish the moisture in your locks. This Eco-certified brand uses natural and organically sourced avocados in their hair mask. The hyaluronic acid in this product can transform your dull, lifeless, and brittle hair with its moisturizing properties.
- Moisturizes the hair
- Anti-aging formula
- Suitable for dull, dehydrated hair
Hyaluronic acid is a natural constituent of our body, so it suits every hair texture. It locks in moisture and promotes cell growth and thickness. It is a great ingredient to include in your hair care routine to tame frizz, add shine, and strengthen your hair. You can use it as hair serum or a leave-in conditioner to protect your hair from pollution, humidity, and harsh weather conditions.
- 25 Best Hyaluronic Acid Serums Of 2020 For Dehydrated Skin
- 10 Best Hyaluronic Acid Serums Available In India
- 15 Best Peptide Serums Of 2020
- The 12 Best Face Serums For Dry Skin of 2020
Latest posts by Annie Jangam (see all)
- Dull Hair – Causes, Treatments and Home Remedies - May 2, 2021
- Does Radiation Therapy Always Cause Hair Loss? - May 2, 2021
- PCOS Hair Loss: Causes, Signs, Treatment, Remedies and More - May 2, 2021
- Hair Loss After Surgery – Know The Facts Here - April 27, 2021
- Androgenic Alopecia – Causes, Treatment, And More - April 26, 2021