There’s cucumber water, lemon water, tonic water, and there’s heavy water. What is hydrogen water? Doesn’t water already have hydrogen in it? Well, yes. But any guesses what this could be?
Hydrogen water is water enriched with hydrogen. Well, it’s not as dumb as it sounds. The enrichment with hydrogen might treat joint pains, mood swings, and aging skin. Read on and see what it can do for your health.
Table Of Contents
- What Is Hydrogen Water? How Is It Made?
- Is Hydrogen Water Any Helpful? What Are Its Benefits?
- Does Hydrogen Water Have Any Side Effects?
What Is Hydrogen Water? How Is It Made?
Hydrogen water is simply drinking water infused with hydrogen. Hydrogen-rich water is one of the easiest and safest ways to supply molecular hydrogen to your body. Molecular hydrogen (H2) is a non-toxic gas that is involved in several biological functions (1).
Hydrogen is an inert gas, but surprisingly, it has many therapeutic benefits. It is an anti-inflammatory, antioxidant, and antiallergic agent (1). This is why administering molecular hydrogen infused in water has great benefits.
Hydrogen water is prepared by adding a source of hydrogen (hydrogen-generating agent) to water with a gas-permeable membrane. The agent emits hydrogen into the water. This hydrogen gets dissolved under a set pressure maintained over a fixed period. And, that’s it! Hydrogen water is ready to use!
But, be mindful that making hydrogen water is not as simple as I described. Many parameters, like the percentage of dissolved hydrogen, the final pH of the hydrogen water, etc., need to be controlled. Only then is it fit for human consumption.
If all of this is true, can hydrogen water be as beneficial as molecular hydrogen gas to us?
Let’s find out!
Is Hydrogen Water Any Helpful? What Are Its Benefits?
1. Reduces Stress And Anxiety
Oxidative stress is often associated with various physical and mental disorders. Increased oxidative stress triggers inflammation and lipid peroxidation. Along with protein aggregation, it could cause deterioration of central nervous system functioning and neuron death (2). These cumulatively give rise to stress, anxiety, mood swings, and poor quality of life.
Antioxidants and anti-inflammatory agents like hydrogen can reduce chemical (oxidative) stress and anxiety and act on the central and peripheral nervous system (2).
Hydrogen-infused water improves lipid and glucose metabolism, reduces inflammation, increases overall physical performance (especially in athletes), alleviates several diseases, and controls aging in individuals (2).
2. Manages Diabetes And Improves Glycemic Control
Hydrogen has excellent anti-inflammatory properties and reducing action. It blocks the free radicals from damaging your vital organs. This way, it prevents chronic diseases like type 2 diabetes, atherosclerosis, and hypertension (3).
In a placebo-controlled study, patients who consumed 900 mL of hydrogen-rich water per day had a decreased level of plasma LDL (bad cholesterol) and increased level of superoxide dismutase enzyme in the blood. These could, in turn, prevent insulin resistance (3).
Another rat study showed that hydrogen molecule also improved glycemic control without causing hypoglycemia. There was no associated kidney or liver damage in the diabetic rats. This proves that hydrogen water could be used as a safe replacement for insulin therapy (4).
3. Aids Weight Loss and Controls Obesity
Molecular hydrogen (H2) is known for its numerous therapeutic properties. Hydrogen-infused water is one of the easiest ways to deliver it to the body. Obese mice fed with hydrogen water showed reduced hepatic (liver) damage and fatty liver syndrome (5).
Drinking hydrogen water for long periods can control fat and body weight, plasma glucose, and insulin levels. At the molecular level, hydrogen water enhances the expression of a hepatic hormone, fibroblast growth factor (FGF21), which could be responsible for fatty acid and glucose metabolism (5).
Therefore, hydrogen water can lower the risk of obesity, diabetes, and metabolic syndrome.
Does this simple potion have any side effects? Read on to find out!
Does Hydrogen Water Have Any Side Effects?
If it is non-toxic below 4% (that’s a lot!), hydrogen water isn’t harmful to your body. There’s no scientific evidence showing the adverse effects of hydrogen water.
One concern could be its high pH.
But a study demonstrates how the high pH and reducing power of hydrogen water can be beneficial – it acts as an alkalizing agent and reduces metabolic acidosis (low pH in body tissues) (6).
Due to insufficient data, it is difficult to frame a dosage for hydrogen water. So, seek medical help or visit your dietitian before switching to hydrogen water.
The Take Home Message
Hydrogen water or hydrogen-infused water is the most convenient medium of supplying the most powerful molecule to your body – molecular hydrogen. Consuming hydrogen water can give you clear skin, improve glycemic control in your body, boost your energy levels, and work on your panic attacks.
That’s why we recommend you to try hydrogen water. You can either buy packaged hydrogen water here or get a hydrogen water generator (for a constant supply) here.
Try it out and tell us how you felt. Use the comments box below to send your feedback, suggestions, and relevant queries.
Sometimes, the smallest is the mightiest!
- “Molecular hydrogen as a novel antioxidant: Overview of the Advantages…” Methods in Enzymology, Elsevier.
- “Hydrogen-rich water for improvements of food, anxiety…” Medical Gas Research, US National Library of Medicine.
- “Supplementation of hydrogen-rich water improves lipid and glucose…” Nutritional Research, US National Library of Medicine.
- “Hydrogen Improves Glycemic Control on Type 1 Diabetic Animal…” PLoS One, US National Library of Medicine.
- “Molecular hydrogen improves obesity and diabetes by inducing hepatic…” Obesity (Silver Spring, Md.), US National Library of Medicine.
- “Serum Alkalinization and Hydrogen-Rich Water…” Mayo Clinic Proceedings, US National Library of
Latest posts by Swathi Handoo (see all)
- Have You Been Using Brown Rice Syrup? Is It Good For Your Health? - April 29, 2019
- 11 Exclusive Health Benefits Of Olive Leaf Extract - April 23, 2019
- 5 Scientifically-Proven Benefits And Side Effects Of Sarsaparilla - April 22, 2019
- 5 Fascinating Reasons You Should Use Propolis: Benefits, Facts, And Tips - April 16, 2019
- 10 Food Supplements To Lower Your Blood Pressure Naturally - March 29, 2019