When you are with strangers, things can get awkward fast. All you need is a few icebreaker questions to get the conversation flowing. If you’ve been set up on a blind date or joined a new workplace, you may feel this need.
It is not uncommon to speak to a stranger from time to time in life. However, most of us have experienced uncomfortable silences and anxious greetings. The idea of meeting new people has scared us more than once. To overcome this, you can make the situation more casual and playful with a fun icebreaker and witty conversation starters. It not only diffuses a sticky situation but also promotes stronger bonds between people.
To get people talking, ask them fun questions that allow them to express themselves effortlessly. Here is a list of 101 questions that will help bridge the communication gap. These questions are lighthearted, helpful for easing nerves and being one of the best communication starters. Check them out!
If you want to ask icebreaker questions at your workplace, make sure to use a subtle formal tone. Do not ask personal questions right away. Instead, you may keep them when your colleagues become your besties.
In This Article
101 Fun Icebreaker Questions
- What is that one outfit that someone could wear that will make you go on a date with them?
- If there is a zombie apocalypse, who are the three people you would want on your team?
- Which emoji do you use most?
- What was the worst fashion faux pas you ever made?
- Describe the worst haircut you ever had? What age were you?
- Who was your childhood celebrity crush?
- If you were a hero in a movie, what would your entrance theme song be?
- Have you ever been told you look like a celebrity? Who was it?
- What was the most embarrassing fashion trend you used to follow?
- If you had your own talk show, who would you invite as your first guest?
- If you were famous, what do you think it would be for?
- If you had to karaoke, what song would you pick?
- What was your least favorite food/dish as a kid? Do you still hate it?
- If you had to eat one food every day for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
- If you were left on an island with either your worst enemy or no one, which option would you choose? Why?
- Do you think aliens exist?
- What is your favorite sandwich, and why?
- What is the best piece of advice you have ever received? Who gave it to you?
- After you die, what do you want to be remembered for?
- What is the most expensive item you have bought this year?
- What is your dream job?
- What would you title your autobiography?
- If you get super rich, would you still like to work?
- If you had to delete all apps but three from your smartphone, which ones would you keep?
- What is your favorite animal? Do you have a pet?
- What fictional family would you like to be a member of?
- What is your favorite television show?
- Describe the worst boss you ever had to work for. What would he do?
- What would you choose as your superpower if you could, and why?
- As a child, what did you aim to be when you grew up?
- What is your favorite holiday?
- What place would you like to visit before getting old?
- What is your favorite food?
- Are you a coffee or tea person?
- Which book have you read recently that you would like to recommend? Why?
- What breed of dog would you prefer as a pet?
- If you get a time machine, would you go back in time or to the future?
- Can you live without your smartphone or any other gadget for 48 hours?
- What is your favorite color?
- What was your favorite sport as a child?
- Are you an optimist or pessimist?
- Have you ever met anyone famous?
- Do you have a bucket list?
- What did you have for lunch today?
- What is that one thing most people don’t know about you?
- Can you cook? What is your favorite meal to cook?
- Are you a morning person?
- What is your favorite musical instrument? Can you play any instruments?
- Are you a cat or dog person?
- How many languages can you speak?
- What is the weirdest food you have ever eaten? Where did you eat it?
- What is the most outrageous thing you have ever done?
- What is that on your cellphone wallpaper?
- If you can have an unlimited supply of something for the rest of your life, what would it be? Burger? Scotch Tape? Car tires?
- What season do you like?
- Would you prefer to have a rewind button or a pause button on your life?
- Would you prefer to have more time or more money?
- Where is the last place you would be caught dead?
- Are you a good dancer? What kind of music do you like to dance to?
- What vegetable would you be if you had to choose one?
- If you could live anywhere on Earth for a year, where would it be?
- If you could commit a crime and get away with it, what would you do and why?
- If you could choose any person from history to be your partner, who would it be and why?
- If you could see one particular movie again for the first time, what would it be?
- If you could choose any one celebrity to have dinner with, who would you choose?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- If you could change places with anyone in the universe, who would it be?
- If you wanted to rename yourself, what name would you choose?
- If you had to teach a class on one thing at a moment’s notice, what would you teach?
- If you could be immortal like a vampire, at what age would you choose to stop aging?
- If you could be on a reality TV show, which one would you be on? Why?
- Would you rather live on the moon or in the midst of the ocean?
- Would you rather lose all your money or all your pictures?
- Would you rather be invisible or have the power to fly?
- Would you prefer to be slightly late or super early?
- If you had to give up your smartphone or your laptop, which one would you choose?
- Would you live without AC or social media?
- Would you rather always say everything on your mind or never speak again?
- Would you become someone else or just stay you?
- What is the silliest thing you were emotionally attached to?
- What is something you have done that no one would expect of you?
- Name the person in this room you think is the best dressed. What do you like most about their dressing sense?
- What is your biggest turn off in a man/woman?
- What would you prefer to stop – mental aging or physical aging?
- Would you rather be famous for your intelligence or your good looks?
- Would you choose to be stinking rich and live 500 years ago or be middle class today?
- Would you prefer to work more hours per day but fewer days per week or fewer hours per day but more days per week?
- Would you rather be able to talk to animals or speak all foreign languages?
- If you had to be handcuffed to one person of your choice for an entire month, who would it be?
- What type of traits do you want in your future partner?
- If you could eliminate one thing from the world, what would it be?
- Are you a talker or a listener?
- What are the childish things you still do as an adult?
- What is the best gift anyone has ever given you? Who gave it?
- What is in the trunk of your car right at this moment?
- What was in your high school locker?
- What are your ten favorite foods?
- Name one trashy movie that you secretly like. Why?
- Name your favorite children’s story. Why?
- If you are forced to wear a T-shirt with a single word on it for a year, which word would you choose?
- What is the cutest thing you did as a child that your parents still talk about?
Ensure that everyone in the group gets a fair chance to answer their questions. However, do not force anyone to respond and let them know it’s okay to skip.
Infographic: Top 10 Questions That Work As Perfect Conversation Starters
Meeting a stranger on a blind date or being stuck at a boring party could be daunting. However, there are certain ways to break the awkward silence and make new friends. If you are hesitant about making the first move or simply can’t get the right words out, check out the infographic below for a list of 10 interesting conversation starters, perfect for breaking the ice in almost all situations.
We all find ourselves running short of words from time to time, whether on a blind date or in a new workplace where you want to work on getting to know someone but don’t know how. And it is alright. You do not have to sit in awkward silence, thinking of something to keep the conversation moving forward. Instead, just bookmark this page, and the next time you find yourself at a loss for words, whip out your phone and these questions will help you in breaking the ice with one of these fun icebreaker questions. These fun questions will not only help you initiate a conversation but also build new relationships and help you in team building. These thought-provoking questions and ice-breaking games can really work in group dynamics, where you desperately need interactive exercises and want to initiate open-ended questions. Try these fun-filled questions while networking with new people and amp up your socializing game!
Frequently Asked Questions
What are some fun virtual icebreakers?
Asking someone about their pet or asking them silly “would you rather” questions are some great ways to break the ice in a virtual conversation.
What are some good Zoom icebreakers?
Here are some good icebreaker questions to ask on Zoom:
- If you had a superpower, what would it be?
- What do you want people to remember you for?
- What is the worst travel experience you have ever had?
What are some fun icebreaker questions for a group of friends?
Here are some fun icebreaker questions for a group of friends:
- What’s the weirdest food you’ve ever eaten?
- If you could hang out with any cartoon character, who would you choose and why?
- Choose one- The Addams Family or The Incredibles?
What are some unique icebreaker questions for a networking event?
Here are some unique icebreaker questions for a networking event:
- If you won the lottery tomorrow, what is the first thing you would do?
- How would you describe your job to a five-year-old?
- Come up with a fun fake job title.
How can you tailor icebreaker questions to different age groups or demographics?
You have to keep in mind the group that you are trying to break the ice with—some icebreakers can be focused on networking and jobs for a professional setting, and some can include trivia and pop culture references for friends, families, and other social gatherings. You can also come up with different parameters based on the occasion and location.
What are some common mistakes to avoid when using icebreaker questions?
Try to keep the icebreakers sequential, if the atmosphere demands it. Keep them short and prompt without dragging them. Do not try too hard and expect long responses. Wait for them to feel comfortable before engaging in a full-blown conversation.
- Ice-breaker questions help strike new conversations and build relationships, be it at work or during a date with your crush.
- These questions are especially a godsend for shy and introverted individuals.
- These ice-breakers are lighthearted and do not get too personal.
- They revolve around a person’s personal preferences and outlook on life.
Start your next meeting off on the right foot. Check this video for 8 fun and easy icebreakers to get everyone mingling and talking in no time.