The idea of getting a Brazilian wax can be daunting, to say the least. We can’t help but wince at the imagined pain of waxing, what is, one of the most sensitive parts of your body. But the smooth (and I mean the feather against your skin kind of smooth) feeling makes the excruciating pain somewhat bearable and completely worth it.
If you’ve never gotten a Brazilian wax before and are worried about your first time, you’re at the right place. In this article, you’ll find all the information you need to get in-depth insight on Brazilian waxing, as well as tips for waxing at home. So, without further ado, let’s dive in.
What Is A Brazilian Wax?
Brazilian waxing involves the removal of hair right from the belly button, down to the front, and all the way around the back. Known as the “bare wax”, it involves waxing on, around, and beyond the bikini zone, leaving you hair-free from your belly button to your behind. However, some women prefer to leave a strip or triangle shaped section of hair in the front for a more “natural” look post-wax.
[ Read: Hair Removal Methods For Facial Hair ]
Benefits Of A Brazilian Wax
You know that feeling you get right after you shave? When you aren’t itchy yet and feel clean and free. Imagine that feeling and multiply it by 10, because that’s how great a Brazilian wax leaves your skin feeling.
2. Exfoliates Your Skin
A Brazilian wax helps get rid of all the dead skin cells on your skin and leaves your skin feeling super smooth.
3. Boosts Confidence
You know when you’re wearing matching underwear and can’t help but feel super sexy and confident? I can guarantee you that a Brazilian wax will leave you feeling so much better than your sexiest lingerie.
4. Hair-Free For Longer
A shave will give you smooth skin for a maximum of two days, whereas you can be hair-free for 3-4 weeks with a Brazilian wax. Saving you so much grooming time.
5. Hair Growth Becomes Sparser
Your hair grows out thicker after a shave because it is being cut at skin level, where it is thickest. Unlike shaving, waxing removes your hair from the root, ensuring that the ensuing hair growth is thinner and sparser.
What Type Of Wax Is Best For A Brazilian?
Hard wax is usually preferred when performing a Brazilian, simply because it is less painful and is specially formulated for sensitive areas such as underarms, the bikini, and face. The wax sticks just to the hair, not the skin, making the pulling process less irritating for your skin.
Wax strips, however, are easier to use. But they are more painful. The good thing about wax with strips is that it can be prepared at home.
How To Make Brazilian Wax At Home?
You Will Need
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 tbsp lemon juice/vinegar
- 2 tbsp water
- Pot for boiling
- Jar for storage
- Pour the ingredients into a pot and mix well. Be extremely careful while cooking the wax, it will burn you if you touch it.
- On a low flame, let the sugar melt to form wax. Keep stirring the wax.
- Once the wax turns to a translucent honey brown color, it is time to turn off the flame.
- Pour the wax into a jar and let it cool.
How To Give Yourself A Brazilian Wax At Home?
You Will Need
- Waxing strips/cotton (cut up to resemble strips)
- Talc/baby powder
- Popsicle stick/butter knife
- Witch hazel
- Coconut oil
15-30 minutes, depending on efficiency.
- Heat up the wax, but ensure that it does not get too hot. You can test out the temperature of the wax on your wrist.
- Clean your skin and thoroughly dry it. Follow this up by applying some talcum or baby powder on the area.
- Apply the wax to your skin in the direction of hair growth using a butter knife or a popsicle stick.
- Place the waxing strip on the wax. Press down and rub so that it adheres to the wax. Pull it in the opposite direction of the hair growth in a swift motion.
- Ensure you’re working in from the edges where the hair growth is lighter to the sensitive parts where growth tends to be thicker.
- Repeat this until you’ve gotten rid of all the hair. You may have to reheat the wax a couple of times in between to keep it hot and sticky.
- Once you’re done, wash and apply some witch hazel onto the area to avoid bacterial infections and ingrown hairs. Follow this up with some coconut oil to calm the skin.
- Go back in with tweezers to get rid of any stray hairs that weren’t waxed away.
- Exfoliate after 24 hours to prevent the formation of ingrown hairs.
NOTE: If you do not have a high tolerance for pain, it is strongly advised that you do not try to give yourself a Brazilian wax. It is always better to go to a professional as they are more experienced.
As I mentioned before, getting a Brazilian wax is a daunting task, but I’ve put together a list of tips that will help get you better prepared.
How To Prepare Yourself For A Brazilian Wax?
1. There Is No Need To Be Shy
One of the biggest things that bother women before getting their first Brazilian wax is the idea of sacrificing their modesty in front of a stranger. But let me state the obvious here – the stranger in question has seen it all.
2. Let Your Hair Grow Out To The Right Length
Your hair should be about a quarter of an inch long before you can wax it. You don’t have to worry if it is longer as your waxer will trim it.
3. Pick The Right Dates
When thinking about getting a Brazilian wax, it is important to plan around your menstrual cycle. Your skin is extra sensitive a couple of days before you get on your period, so it is best to pick a date that is in between about 4 days after you’ve finished menstruating and a week before your next period.
4. Ensure That You’re Clean
This one’s a given. Especially if you’re getting a professional to wax you, cleanliness is greatly appreciated. If you’re waxing at home, cleaning yourself will make the process a lot more efficient. Ensure to use warm water and to dry yourself thoroughly before you wax.
5. Do Not Apply Moisturizer
Applying oils or lotions will hamper the wax’s ability to adhere to your hair. However, you can always apply a little talc or baby powder to help absorb any moisture.
6. Do Not Consume Any Caffeine Or Alcohol
Both coffee and alcohol tighten your pores, which makes the waxing process a lot more painful than it has to be. There are better ways to help yourself relax when getting a Brazilian.
7. Pop A Pain-Killer
Speaking of better ways to relax, popping a pain-killer about an hour before you’re getting waxed will help minimize the pain to a great extent.
8. Heat The Wax To The Right Temperature
Heat the wax until it has melted and then test out the temperature on your wrist. If you are someone who prefers to wax at home, investing in a wax warmer is a good idea as it will help keep your wax consistently warm.
9. Start At The Edges
Here’s a handy tip for those of you who are waxing at home. It is always best to start at the edges where growth is thinner and work your way to the thicker parts. This makes the process a lot more efficient.
10. Hold You Skin Taut
This might get a bit awkward when you’re getting close to the sensitive areas, but holding your skin taut helps reduce pain to a great extent.
11. Get Your Bearings Straight
You must always apply the wax in the direction of hair growth and pull it off in the opposite direction. This makes the job a lot more efficient, helps prevent ingrowns, and ensures that the hairs are being pulled out by the roots.
12. After Care
Remove any leftover wax by applying coconut oil. Wash and apply some witch hazel. Ensure that you are wearing comfortable cotton underwear for at least one day. Exfoliate your skin twenty-four hours after you’ve waxed to prevent ingrown hairs. Follow this up by applying coconut oil to moisturize.
Here, I’ve put together a list of frequently asked questions that will answer any more queries you might have about Brazilian waxing.
[ Read: Simple Ways To Remove Upper Lip Hair ]
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
What Should You Wear After A Brazilian Wax?
It’s best to wear your most comfortable pair of cotton underwear for at least 24 hours after getting waxed. It is also advised to wear baggy clothing until your skin is less sensitive.
Can I Workout After A Brazilian Wax?
No, you cannot work out immediately after a wax. Give it a good 24 hours before you go about your usual workout routine after getting waxed.
Can I shower After A Brazilian Wax?
Yes, you can shower, but with cool water. This is because your follicles remain open for several hours after getting a Brazilian wax. So, it is important to avoid too much moisture. Cool water will help seal your follicles.
How Long Does A Brazilian Wax Take To Heal?
Depending on how sensitive your skin is, it can heal in a couple of hours or it might even take a couple of days until your skin is completely healed after a Brazilian wax.
How Long Does It Take For Hair To Grow Back After A Brazilian Wax?
Depending on how fast your hair grows, it can take 2-4 weeks before your hair starts to grow back. However, the regrowth will be much thinner.
How To Get Rid Of Red And White Bumps After A Brazilian Wax?
The most important thing when dealing with bumps after a Brazilian wax is to keep the area free of excess moisture or bacteria. Keep the area clean with an antibacterial soap and apply some anti-inflammatory topical treatments. The use of astringents and antibiotic creams also help when dealing with bumps.
Is There A Difference Between A Brazilian Wax And A Bikini Wax?
A bikini wax incorporates the removal of hair from the edges so that nothing will peek through your bikini bottoms. However, a Brazilian wax goes beyond that and removes all the hair from the stomach, front, and even the back.
Yes, we’ve talked about how daunting a Brazilian wax can be. But it can also be so exciting, especially if it’s your first time. The smoothness of your skin will leave you coming back for more every month. What’s your take on Brazilian waxing? Tell us in the comments section below.
- How To Prevent And Get Rid Of Bumps After Waxing
- Waxing at Home
- Irritated By Unwanted Facial Hair? These 6 At-Home Remedies Promises To Make Your Life Easier
- 11 Simple Ways To Remove Upper Lip Hair Naturally
- How To Use Ayur Cold Wax?
Latest posts by Meenal Rajapet (see all)
- 10 Best Hair Gels of 2021 Available in India - March 25, 2021
- Top 40 Blonde Hair Color Ideas for Every Skin Tone - September 14, 2020
- BBLUNT Salon Secret High Shine Crème Hair Colour Review - December 19, 2017
- Melblok Review – The Wonder Pigmentation Cream For Bright, Clear Skin! - December 6, 2017
- 20 Amazing Dark Ombre Hair Color Ideas - November 17, 2017