If adding green tea to your daily diet routine does not seem to be your thing because of its typically bitter taste, you should try Earl Grey tea for weight loss alongside a healthy diet and lifestyle changes. All the different varieties of tea, along with their aromatic taste and flavor are known for their many health benefits as well. Earl Grey tea, with its many polyphenols and antioxidants, may also support weight loss. While you can get it readily packaged, you can make one for yourself at home as well. To know more about Early Grey tea and how it can help manage your weight better, keep reading!
In This Article
Earl Grey Tea – A Brief:
This delicious English beverage was given its name after the British Prime Minister, James Earl Grey. It is one of the most well-known teas in the world, especially due to its distinct flavor and aroma. The leaves of Earl Grey tea are blended with bergamot to give it its unique taste (1). It is now being used worldwide as a way to lose weight, maintain hydration and body slimming, along with a multitude of other health benefits.
How Does Earl Grey Tea Help In Weight Loss?
According to research at a university in Italy, the citrus extract that gives Earl Gray its distinct flavor could play an important role in weight loss. This extract is derived from the bergamot, which is a type of orange that is found in the Mediterranean. Bergamot contains phytochemicalsi XNaturally occurring bioactive plant chemicals found in fruits and veggies that counteract the effects of bacteria, viruses, and fungi. and other components that help in boosting metabolism and helping to reduce the absorption of cholesterol in the stomach (2).
When you drink this herbal Earl Grey tea, bergamot helps the calories in your body to be used and burned more efficiently (2).
Drinking Earl Grey tea on a regular basis is a great way to complement and enhance weight loss goals, alongside a healthy diet and lifestyle changes, crash diets, or other fad diets. It is all-natural and comes with many nutrients and properties that come with a plethora of health benefits and ensure your wellness.
According to research, the bergamot infused Earl Grey tea may help you lose weight (3). However, you need to keep in mind that if you are trying to lose weight, the tea should be taken without milk or sugar. Adding them will only defeat the purpose of burning calories. Since citrus is known to help enhance metabolism and calorie-burning, add a dash of fresh lemon juice instead.
Other Benefits Of Earl Grey Tea:
This tea might look like normal black tea, but as mentioned earlier, the bergamot in Earl Grey tea helps with weight loss, and provides a wide range of other benefits for your health that a normal black tea may not provide.
These benefits include:
- It helps protect you against strokes, heart disease, etc (2).
- It exhibits anti-cancer activities (4).
- Research has shown that it can help in increasing HDL cholesterol and blocks LDLs (2).
- It unclogs the passageways in their arteries, thus improving their function (2).
- It may promote oral health by preventing cavities and alleviating the growth of bacteria that produce acids that cause damage to tooth enamel (5).
- It boosts energy levels naturally without as much caffeine as you get from coffee (2).
- It may aid in digestion and may help reduce nausea, colic, and other symptoms of indigestion in some cases (5).
- It helps in regulating sugar levels in the blood.
- The bergamot in Earl Grey tea is said to help support immunity which can be beneficial in managing fever (2).
- It works as an antidepressant and contains antioxidants such as flavonoids that are beneficial for the body and mind (6).
Infographic: Top Benefits Of Earl Grey Tea
Earl Grey tea is known for its unique aroma and taste. Its high antioxidant and phytochemical content may aid in weight loss and improve heart health. Check out the following infographic to learn about the top benefits of including this delicious beverage in your everyday routine.
Drinking Earl Grey tea for weight loss is a good idea, especially given its unique aroma, distinct flavor, and rich nutritional and antioxidant profile. The benefits of this tea stem from the fact that it is blended with the citrus extract of bergamot. This extract helps boost metabolism, limit cholesterol absorption, help enhance the conversion of calories to energy more efficiently, and stimulate fat burning. But do not take Earl Grey tea with milk (due to its high calorific value). Instead, go for a few drops of lemon juice. While you can drink this tea at any time to enhance weight loss naturally, keep in mind it contains caffeine, which may negatively impact your sleep cycle.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does Earl Grey help with bloating?
Anecdotal evidence claim that the anti-inflammatory properties of Earl Grey tea may help relieve abdominal discomfort and bloating.
Does Earl Grey tea have side effects?
Yes, excess consumption may lead to muscle cramps and blurred vision (7). It is also not established safe for children, pregnant, and breastfeeding women. Also, people with anxiety, IBSi XA common intestinal disorder that affects the stomach and intestines and causes pain, bloating, diarrhea, and constipation. , high blood pressure, or insomniai XA common sleep disorder in which you have trouble falling and staying asleep due to poor sleeping habits, depression, and anxiety. should avoid it due to its high caffeine content.
Is it okay to drink Earl Grey tea everyday?
Yes, it is okay to drink Earl Grey tea everyday. However, it is best to restrict its intake to one cup a day to avoid any side effects.
Is green tea healthier than Earl Grey?
Both teas are versatile and have their own benefits. However, since the caffeine content is more in Earl Gray, the healthier option will be green tea.
What does Earl Grey taste like with milk?
It tastes like black milk tea but with a citrusy flavor and subtle floral undertones. It is lighter than black tea but more refreshing.
Is Earl Grey tea good with milk and honey?
Yes, it is good to drink Earl Grey tea with milk and honey. However it may not help you lose weight.
Can I drink Earl Grey on an empty stomach?
Since it has a high caffeine content and is acidic, drinking Earl Grey tea on an empty stomach may lead to acidity and bloating. So, it is not recommended.
Is Earl Grey healthier than black tea?
Earl Grey tea is made from black tea. Therefore, both are healthy options for you.
- Earl Grey may aid in weight loss as it has high levels of antioxidants and polyphenols.
- This tea may regulate blood glucose levels.
- This tea may boost metabolism as it contains bergamot
- Consuming Earl Grey tea in moderation alongside a balanced diet and regular physical activity aids in weight loss.
Earl Grey is more than just a popular tea variety. It can improve your overall health and can also be beneficial for your weight loss journey. Watch the following video today to explore the many wonders of Earl Grey tea.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Discrimination and Identification of Aroma Profiles and Characterized Odorants in Citrus Blend Black Tea with Different Citrus Species
- Clinical application of bergamot (Citrus bergamia) for reducing high cholesterol and cardiovascular disease markers
- Effects of 12-week supplementation of Citrus bergamia extracts-based formulation CitriCholess on cholesterol and body weight in older adults with dyslipidemia: a randomized double-blind placebo-controlled trial
- Anticancer activity of liposomal bergamot essential oil (BEO) on human neuroblastoma cells
- Treatment With a Flavonoid-Rich Fraction of Bergamot Juice Improved Lipopolysaccharide-Induced Periodontitis in Rats – PMC
- Bergamot (Citrus bergamia) Essential Oil Inhalation Improves Positive Feelings in the Waiting Room of a Mental Health Treatment Center: A Pilot Study
- Citrus bergamia essential oil: from basic research to clinical application – PMC