Is Sea Salt Spray Bad For Hair?
Everything you need to know about salty hair sprays, including ways to use them for styling your tresses.
Sea salt spray offers a beachy textured look to your hair. These are must-have hair styling products that work great on all hair lengths and types. But is sea salt spray bad for hair? Some believe it may help achieve that carefree, voluminous, and a refreshing hair look. This article answers all the questions about sea salt spray, its benefits, and the best way to use it. Keep reading.
In This Article
What Is Sea Salt Spray?
Sea salt spray is a hairspray that contains seawater or saltwater. The saltwater absorbs moisture and gets trapped inside the hair cuticles. This adds volume and texture to the hair. It makes the hair look straight out of the ocean, dripping with beach vibes!
Let’s take a quick look at why sea salt spray is so loved by women, men, and hair stylists worldwide. Scroll down.
Benefits Of Sea Salt Spray
Sea salt hair spray comes quite handy if you want curly hair or a beachy wave hairstyle without having to use loads of product. Here are the benefits of using sea salt spray:
- Adds texture to the hair.
- Adds volume and body to the hair.
- Enhances and defines natural waves and curls.
- Reduces frizz.
- Perks up limp hair.
- Helps achieve beach waves hairstyle easily.
- A little goes a long way.
- Fixes the hair quickly.
Quite naturally, sea salt hair spray is loved by so many people. But if you use sea salt hair spray regularly, you may have wondered if it can damage your hair. Scroll down to the next section to find out if sea salt spray is bad for your hair.
Can Sea Salt Spray Be Bad For Hair?
Sea salt sprays add beach waves, volume, and texture to your hair. However, the salt in the seawater or spray has an osmotic action. It draws out all the water from the hair, leaving it dry, weak, and brittle. Moreover, sea salt sprays also contain alcohol, which further dries the hair.
But let’s face it – nothing works as well as a sea salt spray for that textured beach wave hair texture. If you cannot give up using it, here’s the best way to use sea salt spray on your hair.
Best Way To Use Sea Salt Spray
- Comb your hair to detangle the knots. Skip this step if you have just washed your hair.
- It works best on damp hair, so spray your hair with water. Skip this step if you have just washed your hair.
- Divide your hair into four sections.
- Spritz the sea salt spray on all the sections.
- Use a scrunching motion to add volume and texture.
- Use a blow dryer with a diffuser.
- Apply a serum or argan oil to retain moisture and shine.
Frequent use of sea salt spray can lead to damaged hair. That is why you need to take extra care to restore your hair health. Here are a few hair care tips that will come in handy.
Tips To Reduce Hair Damage Due To Sea Salt Spray
- Use a coconut oil or castor oil mask once a week to strengthen your hair.
- Use avocado or banana to hydrate your hair strands.
- Get a hair spa treatment once a month.
- Shampoo your hair twice a week to get rid of sea salt residue.
- Use a deep conditioner every time you wash your hair.
- Apply argan oil or a hair serum.
- Avoid using heating tools frequently. Use a heat protectant while styling your hair.
- Use the sea salt spray on your hair strands from a distance.
- Drink 2-3 liters of water per day.
- Use gentle cleansers that are free of sulfates and parabens so that there is less drying of the hair.
- Improve your consumption of good fats – olive oil, seeds and nuts, seafood, etc. – to internally hydrate the hair strands.
- Repeated usage of hairsprays can weaken the hair. Hence, consume a hair vitamin containing all necessary nutrients to strengthen hair roots after consulting your doctor.
Infographic: How To Apply Sea Salt Spray
A sea salt spray can benefit your hair as well as cause damage. However, using it in a limited quantity and in the right way can reduce the damage. Check out the infographic below to learn a few simplified steps to apply a sea salt spray on your hair to reduce damage.
Sea salt spray is a great way to add a voluminous and carefree look to your beach hair. The benefits of using sea salt spray include adding texture to your hair, reducing frizz, and enhancing your natural waves. However, overuse of sea salt spray may be bad for your hair as it sucks the moisture and leaves your hair dry. To ensure that you use sea salt spray in the best way, apply argan oil after to retain moisture. Additionally, staying hydrated and following a proper skincare routine can save your hair from further damage.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is sea salt spray bad for thinning hair?
Not if used in moderation. Sea salt spray adds texture and volume to thinning hair. However, overuse may lead to brittle, breakage-prone hair.
Does salt water cause gray hair?
There is a lack of evidence to suggest that excessive contact with salt water leads to hair graying.
- Sea salt spray adds volume and texture to your hair and enhances your natural curls.
- But its frequent use may lead to dryness and brittleness.
- Keeping your hair conditioned with oils and hair masks can help balance the side effects of sea salt spray use.