Think you found the “perfect” shade of makeup at the store, only to find out later it is not really your shade? While most foundations may look like a perfect match for your skin tone, sometimes, applying it on the entire face may present a very different picture. So, if you have faced this problem too, here are a few ways to enhance, upgrade, and refurbish your foundation to get the perfect match. Leave behind those days when you would put on your foundation in a rush, only to realize that it is too light for your skin tone.
- Lighting: Different lighting conditions can make your foundation appear differently on your skin. Therefore, when buying a foundation, check how it looks in both natural light and artificial light to ensure it matches your skin tone.
- Texture: It’s crucial to combine foundations with the same base when adjusting the shade. Mixing different formulas can cause them to separate and change the texture of the finished result.
- Formula: The foundation’s formula can have an impact on how it looks on the skin and in the bottle or container. For instance, a matte-finish foundation may look darker in the container than it does on the skin due to the lack of light reflection.
- Oxidation: Certain foundations can oxidize when exposed to air, making the skin they are applied to look darker or warmer than it does in the bottle or package. To get an idea, swatch the mixed foundation on your jawline or neck to make sure it matches your skin tone.
In This Article
How To Make Your Foundation Darker?
The following 8 wonderful tips will help you fix light foundation problems to get a suitable match for your skin tone.
1. Mix In Bronzer – Especially Good For Skin With Brown Undertones:
A great way to intensify, stabilize, and correct your too-light foundation is by mixing it with some bronzer. This will not only darken up the shade, but also give your skin that sun-kissed look that we all love so much. This will also work great for people with brown skin tone or undertone. If you don’t want your entire skin to look bronzed, try using it around your cheeks, nose, forehead and chin to give the desired look.
2. Blend With A Darker Shade Of Foundation:
If the foundation you’re wearing is too light, it’s time to remember your other foundations that are too dark or a tad darker. Blend in your light foundation with the darker one to get a foundation tone that will be a better and more accurate shade for your complexion.
3. For Those With Yellow Skin Undertones – Turmeric
Yes, you heard me right. If you have yellow undertones to your skin (many Indians do), then turmeric is a great add-on to your too-light foundation to make it workable. As we all know, turmeric is a super-staining product, and even a little bit is enough to stain your hands and nails. So please make sure you use only the tiniest bit for this. The idea is to blend in a bit of turmeric with your foundation. But before you try this when you’re headed out, it’s always advisable to do this first at the leisure of your home, when you have enough time and while you’re using natural light or white light (yellow lights make the natural skin tone look different). Take your too-light foundation and add a very tiny drop of turmeric to renovate it. Now blend, blend and blend really well. Your foundation should look darker.
4. For Those With Pink Skin Undertones – Blush
If your skin has pinkish undertones to it, adding a little blush to your foundation is a great idea to bring back some pink to your skin. Apply a little blush on your hand and blend in your too-light foundation with it. Once you’ve blended it properly, apply on the face for a natural pinkish glow.
5. Add Concealer
If you have a concealer that’s a little darker than your too-light foundation, you can blend it in with the same to improve and get a custom-made foundation tone. Remember to always try out the blending bit-by-bit, as using too much can end up making the foundation look too-dark for your skin tone.
6. Blend With Tinted Moisturizer
If you have a tinted moisturizer at home, or maybe even a BB cream, try blending it in with your too-light foundation. The tinted moisturizer or BB cream will most likely be a perfect match for your skin tone, so mixing it with your too-light foundation will make it darker and help to bring it to a shade that’s more near to your own skin color.
7. Face Powder
Your face powder is also a great darkening agent for your too-light foundation. Using a darker face powder over your too-light foundation is a great option to help darken the foundation and make it work for you better.
8. Save It For The Winters
Sometimes, our skin tone may vary depending on the season. While summers are harsh and extreme, especially in India, winters are cold and dry. This makes the skin look tanned and darker in the summers and dry and gray-than-other-times in winters. Using your too-light foundation in the winters is a good idea as it will tend to match better on the skin tone.
Infographic: Top 5 Tips To Fix Your Light Foundation At Home
If you purchased a foundation at the store before, you know how confusing it can be. You pick a shade there that seemingly looks perfect on you, but once you try the same product at home, the color doesn’t look right – and it’s a shade lighter! But thankfully, there are different ways to transform the light foundation into a suitable shade at home. Check out the infographic below to learn about the top 5 easy tips that can fix your light foundation in your makeup room!
We all have, at some point, picked the wrong foundation shade and questioned our judgment. So, if your foundation is too light, there are several ways to amend, strengthen, restore, and rebuild it to get the perfect match. With the tips and hacks shared in our article, you can easily fix and rectify the issue and make your foundation darker to match your skin tone and undertone. So, stop thinking that you wasted your money and try these tips to customize the product. We are sure that you will be pleasantly surprised by the results.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I even out my foundation?
Make sure you have enough light to properly see your face and the foundation color. Mix and match foundations to make a custom color that matches your skin tone. Apply a little foundation to your skin and blend it out before building it up. If you apply more on the first go, it will be difficult to remove to keep your color even. Use your fingers or a sponge to blend the foundation properly.
Why does my foundation look patchy and dry?
If your foundation is not applied properly, it can look patchy or cakey. This can also happen if the texture of your foundation does not suit your skin type, like using powder foundation over dry skin.
Why does my skin look worse with foundation?
Foundation can look bad on some people if they have wrinkles, enlarged pores, uneven skin tone, or fine lines. If it is not applied and blended properly, foundation can make your skin worse. Using the wrong foundation color may also be the culprit.
How do I make my foundation look natural?
Remember two key points to make your foundation look natural:
• Pick the shade closest to your skin tone.
• Always take time to blend the foundation into your skin properly.
- Mix the light foundation with another one with a darker shade to even out the difference.
- People with pink undertones may add blush to their foundation.
- Try blending a darker shade of concealer with the foundation.
- You can also mix your foundation with a tinted moisturizer.
Image source: 1 , 2 , 3 , 4 , 5 , 6
Hey girl, you best learn how to fix your foundation undertone by mixing pigment. Watch this easy video tutorial to understand how to make it work and get the perfect look.