5 Benefits Of Jade Roller, How To Use It, And Side Effects
A radiant tone and firm skin are only a few of the pros of using the traditional massage tool.
Jade rollers have found a prominent place in our beauty routines. These skin rollers are said to promote lymphatic drainage. However, you cannot tap on jade roller benefits unless you use it correctly. Therefore, it is important to learn about it before using a jade roller. This article explains the immense benefits of jade rollers for your skin health, how they work, ways to use them properly, risks, and how to identify an authentic jade roller. Read on to know more.
In This Article
What Is A Jade Roller?
A jade roller is a hand-held facial massage tool made of jade (jadeite or nephrite), an ornamental mineral. It is cold to the touch and has its roots in the ancient Chinese and Eastern civilizations. They believed jade stone (jadeite) has healing properties.
Most of the jade rollers available today are made of nephrite jade and are used to massage the facial skin to keep it healthy, youthful, and bright.
Do Jade Facial Rollers Work? What Are The Benefits?
1. Improve Blood Flow
A study published in Complementary Therapies in Medicine evaluated the short-term effects of using massage rollers on the face. It found that five minutes of facial massage could dilate the blood vessels, improving blood flow to the cheeks.
2. Reduce Puffiness
Massaging with jade rollers promotes lymphatic drainage by stimulating the facial lymph vessels, which helps reduce puffiness.
3. Tighten The Skin
According to a study, massaging the face can change the expression of certain structural proteins in the skin, stimulating the elastin fibers and promoting collagen development. Hence, regularly massaging the skin with a jade roller and anti-aging serums may have similar effects.
4. Uplift Your Mood
Facial massage can help relieve anxiety and uplift your mood. Researchers from the User Science Institute, Kyushu University found that 45 minutes of facial massage activated the sympathetic nervous system and reduced psychological distress. Massaging your face with a jade roller can have similar effects.
5. Improve Your Skin Care Routine
You can use a jade roller to apply serums, creams, lotions, and under-eye creams. It helps spread the products evenly without tugging the skin and allows you to control the direction of the application.
The next section explains how you can use a jade roller the right way.
How To Use A Jade Roller
Here is a step-by-step guide to using a jade roller to get the maximum benefits:
1. Clean your face and pat it dry.
2. Gently massage a few drops of facial oil or serum. You may also wear a sheet mask and use the roller over it.
3. With the wider side of the roller, massage from the middle of your forehead towards your hairline at either side. Apply medium pressure.
3. Massage from the sides of the nose towards the cheekbones.
4. Massage your neck and roll downwards from the jawline towards the collar bones to ensure lymphatic drainage.
5. Massage your jawline and roll from under the lower lip towards your ears.
6. With the smaller side of the roller, massage the under-eye area. Start from the inner corner and roll towards the temples. Apply gentle pressure.
Check out this video for better understanding:
Once you are done using the jade roller, clean it properly. Jade is a porous material and will absorb oils and other secretions from your skin. While a jade roller is definitely beneficial for the skin, it is not a “magic wand” that will erase all your skin issues as claimed by the overenthusiastic proponents of this beauty tool. Here are a few things to keep in mind.
The Side Effects Of Jade Rollers
1. They Will Not Help With Deep Wrinkles
The jade rollers may increase blood flow and give your skin a youthful appearance. However, it will not help reduce the deep-set wrinkles and sagging skin.
2. The Effects Are Temporary
You have to be consistent with using jade rollers as the effects will disappear once you stop using them. Simply put, your puffy eyes and under-eye bags will return if you stop using the jade roller.
3. They Are Porous
Jade rollers can easily accumulate dirt, sebum, and oils from the skin. If you do not clean them properly, they can harbor bacteria and worsen your skin or any existing condition like acne.
4. They Can Be Easily Counterfeited
It is unfortunate but true. There are multiple jade roller-like tools made of plastic, marble, and dyed glass available on the market that claim to be original jadeite or nephrite. Unless you are buying from a reputed seller, you can easily get ripped off. In this regard, let’s find out how to identify authentic jade.
How To Buy An Authentic Jade Roller
The original jade stone is made of the minerals jadeite or nephrite. Jadeite is high-quality jade and rarer and more expensive than nephrite jade.
Jadeite is available in different shades of green, reddish-orange, white, gray, yellow, black, and lavender. Nephrite jade is also available in similar shades, but the colors are muted compared to jadeite.
Jadeite is hard. On the Mohr scale, its hardness ranges between 6.5 and 7. Nephrite jade is not as hard as jadeite and ranges between 6 and 6.5 on the Mohr scale.
To identify an authentic jade stone or roller:
1. Hold it under the light and inspect. If you see granular and felt-like intertwinings, it is probably authentic jadeite or nephrite.
2. Toss the stone in the hair and catch it. Does it feel heavier than stones or tools of the same size? If yes, it might be authentic jade.
3. Tap two plastic beads and observe the sound. Now, tap the jade stone against an original jade (if you have one). You can notice a clinking sound that is different from plastic beads.
4. Check the density. Both original jadeite and nephrite have a high density (jadeite – 3.3 and nephrite- 2.95). To measure density, divide the weight in grams by the volume (c.c.).
5. Original jade should feel cool to the touch. However, it should take a while to get warm.
6. Original jade can scratch glass and metal. Nephrite can be a bit softer, though. Scratch the jade’s surface with the blunt end of the scissors. If the scratch makes a white line, wipe it. Do you see a scratch on the stone’s surface? If yes, it is not authentic jade.
You may try these tests or get the roller verified by a reputed jeweler or gemstone expert.
Jade rollers are one of the most popular beauty tools widely used for facial massages. They help improve blood flow, reduce puffiness, tighten the skin, improve your mood, and help spread the products evenly. Though you can use your fingers to massage your face, jade rollers allow you to control the direction without tugging the skin. However, it is important to know how to use a jade roller to reap maximum benefits and avoid adverse situations.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for a jade roller to work?
You can see and feel a difference every time you massage your cream, oil, or serum with a jade roller. You can use it for 5 minutes twice daily for the best effects.
Does jade roller slim face?
While a jade roller can help de-puff your face making it look slim and sculpted, you need proper diet, nutrition, and exercise to lose weight.
How can you tell a fake jade roller?
A real jade roller is fragile and looks dark or light green with imperfect patterns, lines, dots, or swirls. Fake ones would not break on falling and would have no imperfections.
Do rollers reduce double chin?
Massaging beneath and across your jawline with the smaller side of the jade roller can help define the jawline and eliminate a double chin.
Which is better, rose quartz or jade roller?
While a jade roller is more suitable for oily skin, you can use a rose quartz roller across skin types. Also, a rose quartz roller would last longer than a jade roller.
How much should a real jade roller cost?
A real jade roller would cost you anywhere around 60 dollars or more.
- Made of jade, an ornamental mineral, a jade roller is a hand-held facial massage tool.
- It can enhance blood flow, reduce puffiness, and tighten the skin.
- However, they are porous, and their effects are temporary.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Short-and long-term effects of using a facial massage roller on facial skin blood flow and vascular reactivity
- Effects of a skin-massaging device on the ex-vivo expression of human dermis proteins and in-vivo facial wrinkles
- The facial massage reduced anxiety and negative mood status and increased sympathetic nervous activity