A braid is a way to go when it comes to taking your hair game a notch up. But if you are overwhelmed with the sheer amount of different braid styles to choose from, you can hop on to the biggest trend right now — the lace braid. It is a decorative braid style that you would have probably seen on your Insta feed. The braid is interwoven at the front near your hairline to look like your hair is a lacey masterpiece. You can try this hairstyle with updos, low-dos, ponytails, or wear it as a crown with loose hair. The possibilities are endless with this braid style. So, keep reading to discover how you can weave your hair in a lace braid!
- You do not need additional accessories with lace braids. These decorative braids are meant to be an accessory by themselves
- This style holds well on one-day-old hair. Otherwise, you can spritz some dry shampoo for a better grip.
- If you’d like to add a bit of color to your lace braid, use thin satin ribbons in popping colors of your choice.
- Since the braids are done close to the edges, be careful not to weave them too tightly. It could lead to breakage at the hairline.
In This Article
What Are Decorative Braids?
Decorative braids are basically hairstyles that will let you accessorize your hair without actually using any additional hair accessories. This functionality and convenience make them some of the easiest hairstyles to do, especially if you’re always on-the-go. With decorative braids, you can make a head band to go around your hair, wrap it around a pony, or just use it to pull your hair back from your face. But, the best part about these braids is that they let you keep your hair open and yet allow you the option of keeping your hair away from your face, without using any additional accessory. Here is an easy-to-do pictorial guide that will help you create a decorative braid in just a few minutes:
Lace Braid Tutorial
A lace braid is basically a one-sided French braid. In this kind of a braid, you need to add sections only on one side of the braid, instead of on both the sides.
- Part your hair on one side: Hairstyles in which you leave your hair loose generally look better when parted on the side.
- Pick up a medium sized section of hair: From the side of your parting with more hair, pick up a 3 inch section of hair and split in into 3 sections.
- Start by simply braiding: Simply braid these 3 sections for 2 stitches.
- Start adding more hair to your braid from one side: Now, pick up a small section of hair from near your face, add it to the section of your braid closest to it, and then, braid once.
- Keep adding more hair with each stitch of the braid: Keep adding hair to your braid from the side of your face with each consecutive stitch of braid.
- Add hair tightly to maintain the lace effect: Remember, you always need to add sections diagonally and tightly.
- Adjust the position of your lace braid: Keep checking in the mirror to adjust the position of the braid as you reach towards your ear.
- Stop lace braiding once you reach near your ear: Once your lace braid has reached near your ear, stop adding more hair into it.
- Secure the ends with a hair elastic: Simply braid the rest of the way down and secure the end with a hair elastic.
- Do a second lace braid to complete the look: Lace braids look prettier when done in pairs. Pick up a section of hair from right next to your first braid and repeat all the aforementioned steps to do a second lace braid.
You can play around with the positioning and number of your lace braids to create a myriad of hairstyles. You could also incorporate lace braids into a bun hairstyle or your ponytail to add a hint of prettiness and intricacy to them.
The lace braid is one of the latest trends among braided hairstyles. You can wear this decorative braid style with ponytails, low dos, updos, and a crown with loose hair. This hairstyle does not require any additional hair accessories as the lace braids themselves will look like your hair is accessorized. The simple yet trendy hairstyle discussed in the article will let you look stylish and simple at the same time. Following the tutorial mentioned above will help you learn how to wear this style effortlessly.