You could be losing too much hair due to many reasons. They include stress, hormonal changes like menopause and PCOS, heredity, nutritional deficiency, age, chemotherapy, or medical conditions. But thanks to modern scientific advancements like laser treatment, this issue can be curbed.
Laser treatment helps reduce hair fall and stimulates hair growth. It is a non-invasive and painless option to rejuvenate the hair follicles. But does it really work for everyone? Is it expensive? How soon can you expect hair regrowth? This post answers all your questions. Read on!
In This Article
What Is Laser Hair Treatment?
Laser hair treatment or Low-Level Laser Therapy (LLLT) is an FDA-approved, effective, and safe treatment for male and female pattern hair loss (androgenic alopecia). It is a non-invasive and painless therapy that uses low-level monochromatic red light to stimulate hair growth (1).
How Does Laser Treatment Work For Hair Growth?
The low-level laser irradiates photons into the scalp tissue. These photons get absorbed by the hair follicles, stimulating blood circulation. Increased blood circulation leads to increased nutrient supply to the hair follicles and increased cellular activity. This results in thicker and stronger hair follicles, boosting hair density or the number of hairs on the scalp.
A study by American scientists found that laser treatment for 16 weeks showed 39% hair growth in men between the ages of 18-48 with male pattern baldness (2).
A 2019 review confirms that low-level laser hair therapy is an effective hair loss treatment for men and women (3). Another review supports that low-level laser treatment is a good option for men and women with androgenic alopecia who do not want to undergo surgery or use medical therapy (4).
There are many reasons laser hair therapy is considered good. Find out the benefits in the following section.
Benefits Of Laser Treatment
- Effective and safe
- No localized scarring
- No recovery time
- Improves hair restoration
- No side effects
- At-home use devices are convenient.
Here are a few laser hair growth reviews with before and after pictures.
Laser Hair Growth Reviews
- Here, the laser therapy device used is the iRestore Pro. The picture shows how the hair has grown after using the device for over 6 months.
- Here’s another before and after picture. The device used is Laser Cap Pro. The device looks like a baseball cap with laser diodes on the inside. However, the user also took Rogaine and used coconut oil and castor oil, along with laser therapy, to support hair growth.
- Apart from the laser caps and at-home use devices, you can also go to a clinic and get LLLT treatment. Here’s a before and after picture of LLLT treatment for about a year.
Note: Whether you use an at-home device or go to a professional treatment center, you must consult your doctor.
The question now is if laser treatment for hair fall is too expensive. To know the answer, scroll down!
What Is The Cost Of Laser Therapy For Hair Loss?
Laser hair therapy is not as costly as hair transplant treatment. However, it is not cheap, either. Professional laser treatment at a clinic may go up to $3000 per year or more. If you buy a laser treatment device, it will cost you around $800 – $1000.
Laser treatment is an effective and safe way to regrow hair. However, there are certain limitations.
Limitations Of Laser Treatment For Hair Growth
- It takes a long time to show results.
- It may not work on people with advanced stages of hair fall.
- It may interact with certain medications and make the scalp photosensitive.
- The laser devices do not undergo strict scrutiny by the FDA.
- The long-term effect of use and safety is yet to be established.
- More research with a wider sample is required.
- The treatment is not cheap, if not as expensive as hair transplantation.
Should you go for laser treatment to stimulate hair growth? Here’s who can get the most out of this therapy.
Who Can Benefit The Most From Laser Treatment For Hair?
Women with androgenic alopecia and men in the initial stages of balding or hair thinning may consider going for low-level laser treatment to induce hair growth and improve hair strength. However, do not decide on your own. Consult a licensed dermatologist or a cosmetologist to understand whether laser therapy will work for you or not.
Laser hair treatment is a non-invasive and painless way to rejuvenate the hair follicles. It helps prevent thinning hair and receding hairline and reduces bald patches. Talk to your doctor and see if laser hair regrowth treatment is the best option for you. You can also compare laser treatment and PRP treatment to know your best option.
- Low-Level Laser (Light) Therapy (LLLT) for Treatment of Hair Loss
- The growth of human scalp hair mediated by visible red light laser and LED sources in males
- Comparative effectiveness of low-level laser therapy for adult androgenic alopecia: a system review and meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials
- Low-level laser therapy as a treatment for androgenetic alopecia