Lips are one of the most attractive features of your face. They can make you appear stylish, chic, or even dull and bored. From lip exfoliators, lip primers, and lip plumpers to lip lacquers and lip powders, There are different types of lip makeup products available in the market that can make you look stunning. Furthermore, lip makeup has a key role in face makeup. Thus, it would help if you chose the lip shades to make your lips look magnificent with utmost care. This article helps you know about the different lip products and how they can make a difference to your lips. Scroll down!
- Lip Shape: Different lip products and techniques can enhance the shape of your lips. If you have full lips, opt for bold lipsticks. For thin lips, glossy and light lip colors look the best. For uneven lips, use lip liner to create a more symmetrical shape. Wide lips can create a sharp cupid’s bow with lip liner, whereas narrow lips can appear fuller with slight overlining.
- Occasion: For a night out or a special event, opt for bold and dramatic lip color. For a daytime setting, natural and subtle lip color works best. Matte lipstick looks best for a formal setup, while glosses and balms look better in a casual setting.
- Longevity: Opt for long-wearing or transfer-proof formulas, such as liquid lipsticks or lip stains. These withstand eating, drinking, and other daily activities.
- Tools: Application tools affect the finished look. For instance, a lip brush gives more control and precision, while a lip liner helps define the lip shape and prevents color bleeding. Lip balms and glosses can be applied with fingertips, but to create an ombre effect, you need to use lip brushes.
In This Article
Different Lip Makeup Types
1. Tinted Lip Balm:
These products are lip balms basically but they have some colour added to them which serves as a tint. They give the most natural result. It is applied directly from the container. This is great for dry winter lips. You can also use lip butter, lip serum, lip oil, lip cream, or lip mask for extra moisturization.
2. Lip Gloss:
Gives Instant Shine and glam to your lips. Basic lip gloss is a liquid formula and has less staying power than lipstick. You will have to keep reapplying the gloss to your lips. Color choices run from clear to black. It’s applied to bare lips or on top of already applied lip makeup (lip liner alone or lip liner plus lipstick combination). Application can be from the tube with its own applicator or a lip brush.
3. Sheer Lipstick:
Gives a very natural, moist result. It’s a great choice for everyday use. No lip liner is needed. To apply, tap on with a lip concealer brush or your finger.
4. Semi-matte Lipstick:
Gives more coverage as it has more color pigments than sheer lipstick. Lip liner is optional. Apply with a lip brush or concealer brush.
5. Cream Lipstick:
The color pigments are tight and give full coverage but still a beautiful smooth, satiny feel. Lip liner is needed. Apply with a lip brush.
6. Matte Lipstick:
They show no signs of glimmer whatsoever. They are color intensive and last longer than most other lip products. They also give the most coverage but have a slightly drying effect on your lips as they do not have much of a moisture content. Lip liner is needed. Apply with a lip brush. You can also use a lip crayon for a smooth and flawless finish.
7. Lip Stain:
Lip stains are the newest in the line of the lip colour range. These are more like markers with a more fluid composition. They have a alcohol content which is why they dry out faster than the other lip products. Gives a long-lasting result but might dry the lips. With these products of course you will need to moisture and exfoliate more often. Apply with a lip brush.
8. Lip Liner:
Liners are the products that we use to demarcate the the outer line of our lips. Make sure that your liner is as close as possible to the color of your lipstick. Don’t over line lips with dark liners because they look unnatural. Line your lips, fill your lips with lipstick. Applying a gloss on top will make your lips look bigger. The perfect liner is one that glides perfectly onto your lips and is not very rough when using.
Infographic: A Guide To All The Lip Makeup Products
Lip makeup has been around since ancient times, from weird insect concoctions to crushed gemstones. Over the years, it has evolved from simple lipsticks to a wide range of lip beauty enhancers in various textures, shades, and formulas. Check out the infographic below to learn about all the main lip makeup products and how they are used differently.
This is our list of the different lip makeup products you can choose from. From tinted lip balms and lip treatments to lip stains and lipsticks – you can choose from a wide range of lip makeup products to glam up your pout. Each has different formulations, finishes, textures, and longevity. Therefore, always check the product carefully before purchasing. If you prefer a blend of makeup and lip care, you can go for tinted lip balms, and if you want a color-intensive and long-staying product, lipsticks are the best.
Frequently Asked Questions
Which is better lip gloss or lipstick?
It depends on what kind of look you want to go for. Also, lip glosses need reapplication while certain lipsticks can last you all day long. If you just want a sheer subtle shine then you can opt for a lip gloss, while lipsticks can vary in their hues from nude to bold.
What is lip blush?
Lip blush refers to a semi-permannet tattoo wherein color ink is deposited onto your lips and lipline making your lips look full and plump.
What’s the difference between a lip blush and lip filler?
A lip blush is a semi-permanent cosmetic tattoo that adds color and definition to the lips, while a lip filler is an injectable treatment that plumps the lips by adding volume.
Is lip blushing the same as permanent makeup?
Lip blushing is a form of permanent makeup where the pigments are implanted into the skin and last for a few years.
Why doesn’t lipstick stay on my lips?
Lipstick may not stay on the lips due to factors such as dryness, natural lip color, or the formula of the lipstick.
Is lip blush good for older lips?
A lip blush can be beneficial for older lips as it adds definition and color, giving the lips a more youthful appearance.
Should your lip liner be lighter or darker than lipstick?
Your lip liner and lipstick should ideally be of similar shades. Use a slightly darker lip liner to create definition and prevent feathering.
What is a liquid lipstick, and how is it different from a traditional lipstick?
A liquid lipstick is a type of lipstick that is applied like a gloss but dries to a matte finish. It is generally longer-lasting and more opaque than a traditional lipstick.
- Consider the occasion, skin tone, and desired look while selecting the appropriate lip product.
- There are many different lipstick formulas, including metallic, matte, creamy, and glossy.
- Lip glosses give out a lot of shine and work best for enhancing lip volume.
- Lip liners aid in lip definition and stop lipstick from feathering.
- Lip tints are lightweight, durable, and ideal for a natural appearance.
- Lip stains provide a color flush that lasts for several hours.
- Lip balms keep lips moisturized and protected.
Discover a variety of lip balm and lip gloss names available on the market to keep your lips soft and hydrated. From the classic chapstick to tinted glosses, find the perfect product for you!