Women are prone to gain excess fat in the hip and thigh regions. You will be surprised to know that this is an advantage during pregnancy. But the downside is, after a certain age, pregnant or not, you will gain weight around your hips and thighs, depending on your body type (1).
This leads to the appearance of cellulite (orange peel-like skin due to excess fat accumulation and expanding of the skin). It is a sign of an unhealthy lifestyle, and you must change it NOW.
Shapely and firm buttocks not only flatter your figure but also improve posture and provide strength. Read on to know the ways to shed the excess fat from the hips, prevent sagging, and mold your hips back in shape.
How To Shed Hip Fat Naturally At Home
1. Calories Count
If you think you can spot reduce the excess fat from your hips, unfortunately, you are wrong. You must aim at shedding the excess fat from your body and then look at ways to spot reduce the hip fat.
Calorie counting may be a pain, and if you are not comfortable with it, avoid it. However, you can always make a smart guess at what kind of foods you must avoid to prevent consuming too many calories.
Have raw veggies and fruits and drink green tea and herbal tea. Avoid sugary and high-sodium foods, fried foods, ketchup, and packaged fruit juices.
2. Drink Like A Fish
Keeping yourself hydrated is the best way to flush out toxins and boost your metabolism (2).
Drink at least 3 liters of water every day to see visible changes in your body weight, skin, and brain function. You can also add herbs and spices like cinnamon to your water to make the taste more appealing.
3. Start Your Day With Lemon Water
Lemon water is a well-known fat mobilizer. The vitamin C in the lemon helps boost immunity and scavenges the harmful free oxygen radicals (3). It also helps balance the internal pH and kick-starts metabolism. Here’s how you can prepare lemon water.
How To Make Lemon Water
Add the juice of half a lemon to a glass of room temperature water. You can add a teaspoon of honey if it is too sour for your taste. Stir well and drink up.
4. Or Start Your Day With ACV
ACV or apple cider vinegar is a great substitute for lemon or lime. It is natural and is known to have promoted weight loss in many dieters. Scientists have also found that ACV is a potent obesity inhibitor and can help reduce the risk of heart disease (4). It is most effective when taken 30 minutes before a meal. Follow the method mentioned below to use it.
Note: Avoid ACV if you have acidity issues.
How To Use ACV To Cut Excess Hip Fat
Method 1 – Add a teaspoon of apple cider vinegar to a glass of room temperature water. You can also add a teaspoon of honey to it. Stir well and drink it first thing in the morning.
Method 2 – Soak two teaspoons of fenugreek seeds overnight in a glass of water. Strain it in the morning, add ACV, and drink.
5. Use Sea Salt
Did you know that constipation and a poor digestive system can make you gain weight and prevent the normal functioning of the cells and organs (5)? The colon or large intestine should be clean to keep your digestion fine and metabolism firing.
Drinking only water may not work for you if you experience constipation regularly. You can use sea salt to cleanse your system. The vital minerals in the sea salt act as a laxative, cleanse the colon, and improve digestion. Use unrefined sea salt for the best benefits. Here’s how you can prepare a sea salt solution.
Note: Avoid using sea salt if you have hypertension, kidney, or liver problems.
How To Make Sea Salt Solution For Weight Loss
Method 1 – Add two level teaspoons of unrefined sea salt to a glass of warm water. Stir and drink it first thing in the morning.
Method 2 – Add the juice of half a lime to the sea salt solution and drink it on an empty stomach.
How Often To Use Sea Salt For Weight Loss
Use it every day for a week. Drink a glass of sea salt solution first thing in the morning.
6. Coffee To Whittle The Excess Flab
Drink a cup of black coffee 30 minutes before any meal for the best results. If you are not a fan of caffeine, you can opt for green coffee, which has very little caffeine and is loaded with chlorogenic acid that boosts metabolism and prevents fat absorption.
Drink two cups of black coffee, along with 3-4 liters of water, to lose weight without putting in too much effort. You may also try green coffee for weight loss.
7. Include Healthy Fats In Your Diet
Not all fats are bad. Healthy fats help maintain cell integrity and aid the proper functioning of various organs and biochemical reactions. They have anti-inflammatory properties that help reduce the constant state of inflammation or stress, thereby lowering the chances of inflammation-induced weight gain (7).
Include coconut oil, clarified butter (ghee), almonds, macadamia nuts, walnuts, sunflower seeds, flax seeds, chia seeds, sunflower butter, rice bran oil, olive oil, melon seeds, and pumpkin seeds in your diet. Make sure you practice portion control or check the serving size as consuming them in excess may do more harm than good.
8. Eat Healthy
Eating healthy is not expensive if you know what you need and where to find it. Restock your fridge and kitchen with healthy foods like veggies, fruits, herbs, spices, healthy fats, full-fat milk, full-fat yogurt, and lean protein (8), (9). Make sure you don’t buy any processed foods like salami, sausage, frozen foods, and potato wafers.
Have five different types of veggies and space it out in three servings. Have three different types of fruits and space it out in three servings. Avoid using packaged sauces and canned or ready-to-eat foods. Where can you find the healthy stuff? Try the local vegetable market or supermarket. Avoid going to the “junk food” aisle at the supermarket.
9. Try Green Tea
Green tea is loaded with antioxidants (10). It contains epigallocatechin gallate (EGCG), a potent antioxidant that helps flush out toxins and kick-start metabolism, improves digestion, increases satiety, and keeps you energetic the entire day.
Drink green tea or matcha green tea without adding any sugar or cream. Avoid flavored green tea as it contains added sugar and flavor to make it more palatable, and it is not as effective as pure green tea. Drink 4-5 cups of green tea per day. You may also try herbal slimming teas for weight loss.
10. Reduce Snacking
We all love to snack, but it becomes a problem when you snack on unhealthy foods every hour. Snacking on chips, wafers, or chocolate will make you gain weight and halt your weight loss journey, no matter how much you exercise.
Tweak your snacking foods – have cucumber, carrot, hummus, freshly pressed fruit juices, peach, guava, grilled sweet potato, or sprouts. Also, avoid late-night snacking.
11. Get Good Rest
Resting prevents the body from collapsing – meaning, without enough rest, your muscles will not recover from the daily wear and tear. Sleep deprivation can slow down your metabolism and make you gain excess fat in the lower body (11).
Sleep for at least 7-8 hours. Wait for two hours after dinner before going to bed. Use a soothing room freshener to help you sleep better. You can also use a foot soak or take a shower before you go to bed.
Also, set some time aside for unwinding – read a book, watch your favorite series, listen to music that you like, hit the gym, or talk to your friend.
12. Put The Lazy Bum To Work!
Sitting on your bum too much? Then, you must get up and work it out. Here are a few effective exercises that you can do at home at your convenience. Make sure you do at least 3 sets of 15 reps, take 30 seconds rest between each set, and breathe in and out while doing these exercises. Here are two exercises to bring your buttocks back in shape.
- Standing Cross Kick
Step 1 – Stand straight with your feet shoulder-width apart. Raise your arms to your side. Your palms must be facing the floor.
Step 2 – Lift your right leg and kick it up in the air on your left side. Simultaneously, bring your left palm near your right foot as if you are trying to touch it. You can support your body on the balls of your left foot.
Step 3 – Swing your right foot back in place. Lift your left leg, kick it up, and try to touch the right palm.
Step 4 – Do this at medium speed for 3 sets and 15 reps.
- Kick Back
Step 1 – Assume the Cat Pose on the mat. Keep your palms flat on the floor, arms shoulder-width apart, and spine neutral.
Step 2 – Lift your right leg and extend it at the back with the toes pointing out.
Step 3 – Supporting your body on your palm and left knee, kick your right leg up and slowly lower it. Repeat this 15 times.
Step 4 – Bring your right leg down. Lift your left leg off the floor, extend it behind you, and kick it up. Repeat this 15 times.
Step 5 – Do this at medium speed for 3 sets and 15 reps.
Here are a few more hip exercises to mobilize the excess hip fat. You must warm-up and cool off before and after exercising to prevent injuries. You can also brisk walk, run, swim, dance, play a sport, or go kayaking to make your workout more exciting.
A shapely bottom is something we all desire. It is a sign of good health and strength. Problems start because women’s bodies go through so many changes over the years, leading to excess fat accumulation in the wrong places. Once you start taking care, you will know that it is not difficult to get a healthy body. Follow the tips mentioned here, eat healthy foods, and do the exercises to get rid of the unwanted flab from your hips. Cheers!
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
What causes hip fat?
You may accumulate fat in your hip area if you lead a sedentary lifestyle, have a hormonal imbalance, or have a genetic predisposition.
Does sleeping on your bum make it flat?
Does sitting make your butt flat?
- Sex differences in human adipose tissues – the biology of pear shape, Biology of Sex Differences, US Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Water, Hydration and Health, Nutr Rev, US Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Vitamin C and Immune Function, Nutrients, US Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Apple Cider Vinegar Attenuates Oxidative Stress and Reduces the Risk of Obesity in High-Fat-Fed Male Wistar Rats, Journal of Medicinal Food, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Constipation and obesity: a statistical analysis, Bollettino della Società italiana di biologia sperimentale, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Coffee, hunger, and peptide YY, Journal of the American College of Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- The Science of Fatty Acids and Inflammation, Advances in Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Increased vegetable and fruit consumption during weight loss effort correlates with increased weight and fat loss, Nutrition & Diabetes, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- The role of protein in weight loss and maintenance, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Antioxidant effects of green tea, Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Sleep deprivation and obesity in adults: a brief narrative review, BMJ Open Sport – Exercise Medicine, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- 10 Best Stretches For Tight Hip Flexors
- 10 Effective Home Remedies To Get Rid Of Hip Bursitis
- 5 Hip Thrust Exercises For A Toned And Strong Butt
- Patanjali Amla Juice User Reviews
- 12 Yoga Exercises To Get Your Thighs And Hips In Shape
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- Which Hair Straightening Treatment Is Best For You? - December 18, 2020
- Bleaching Wet Hair – Pros, Precautions, Tips - December 1, 2020
- How Emu Oil Helps With Hair Growth, Thickness, And Shine - November 4, 2020
- 15 Best Face Serums For Bright, Firm, And Glowing Skin - October 30, 2020
- Lice Vs. Dandruff – Differences, Causes, And Prevention - October 27, 2020