Sometimes, there is no greater pain than the one you get from the person closest to you. Be it a breakup or being hurt by someone you least expect it from, there is only so much a heart can take. If you are hurt and experiencing grief, you can resonate with these ‘love hurts’ quotes listed below. Grab a box of tissues and get ready to nod along as you read these heart-wrenching quotes. Scroll down!
In This Article
Hurting Someone You Love Quotes
- “There are a thousand ways to hurt someone you love that have nothing to do with physical violence.” – Laurell K. Hamilton
- “You will never know the power of yourself until someone hurts you badly.” – Unknown
- “It may hurt to let go, but sometimes it hurts more to hold on.” – Unknown
- “Just because I am strong enough to bear the pain, does not mean I deserve it!” – Unknown
- “Nothing hurts more than realizing he meant everything to you, and you meant nothing to him.” – Unknown
- “Truth is everybody is going to hurt you: you just gotta find the ones worth suffering for.” – Bob Marley
- “The least and weakest man can do some hurt.” – Cambodian Proverb
- “There is no greater pain in realizing that you are hurting someone you love under unavoidable circumstances.” – Unknown
- “If you make a choice that intentionally hurts someone that you love, then you probably don’t know what love is.” – Unknown
- “Think before you speak, your words could hurt someone’s feeling more than you intended it to.” – Justin Beiber
- “Doing what’s right isn’t supposed to hurt someone you care about.” – Unknown
- “I’m sorry to all the people I hurt while I was hurting.” – Unknown
- “So it’s true, when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” – Unknown
- “I will make mistakes, after all I am not perfect, but I will do my best to make them up to you. I would never hurt you intentionally. I would not give up on you, so I hope you don’t give up on me.” – Unknown
- “Never hurt someone by purpose just because they hurt you by accident.” – Unknown
- “The ability to hurt someone is usually in direct proportion to how much that person cares about you.” – Unknown
- “It hurts to love. It’s like giving yourself to be flayed and knowing that at any moment the other person may just walk off with your skin.” – Susan Sontag
- “To hurt someone, you know will forgive you is the unkindest thing of all.” – Unknown
- “It’s tempting to imagine how we could hurt someone close, because it reminds us how fiercely we love them.” – Unknown
- “Don’t be afraid to tell the truth. It’s better to hurt someone by truth than to make them happy by lies.” – Unknown
- “Real love amounts to withholding the truth, even when you’re offered the perfect opportunity to hurt someone’s feelings.” – Unknown
- “When a person tells you that you hurt them, you don’t get to decide that you didn’t.” – Unknown
Check out the next sections for emotional and sad love hurts quotes to help you cope with a breakup, unrequited feelings, and heartache. You are enough, and you have all the good things you ever wanted. So, read on to seek solace.
Being Hurt By Someone You Love Quotes
- “No matter how bad your heart is broken, the world doesn’t stop for your grief.” – Faraaz Kazi
- “There are times you feel full of hate and bitterness towards others for no reason. It shows you have been hurt. You have to let it go.” – Unknown
- “Don’t ask why someone keeps hurting you. Ask yourself why you’re allowing them.” – Unknown
- “What hurts us is what heals us.” – Paulo Coelho
- “What do you do when the one person you want comfort from the most is the one who caused your pain? How can I want so desperately for him to wrap me up in his arms but also want so much for him to leave me alone?” – Amanda Grace
- “With all the smiles you brought me, I never thought that you could cause me so many tears.” – Unknown
- “Standing alone is better than standing with people who hurt you.” – Unknown
- “You will know that forgiveness has begun when you recall those who hurt you and feel the power to wish them well.” – Lewis B. Smedes
- “The way to heal from hurt is not to ignore or act oblivious of the fact that you have been hurt. You should talk about the hurt to heal.” – Unknown
- “Don’t waste your time on revenge. Those who hurt you will eventually face their own karma.” – Matareva Pearl
- “Isn’t it sad when you get hurt so much that you can finally say “I’m used to it.”” – Unknown
- “It is not the pain. It’s who it came from.” – Unknown
- “Let it hurt, and then let it go.” – Unknown
- “When you have one of the best hearts, it means you can end up being hurt the most. Therefore, you should always protect your good heart.” – Unknown
- “I know it hurts now, but I know that this will make me much stronger.” – Unknown
- “The stupid might have wanted to help you, but ended up hurting you.” – Arabic proverb
- “You don’t get to choose if you get hurt in this world. But you do have some say in who hurts you.” – John Green
- “Do not act as if you care about me, because if you did care, then you would not have done what you did to hurt me.” – Unknown
- “The shattering of a heart when being broken is the loudest quiet ever.” – Carroll Bryant
- “When you have been hurt, and you keep quiet, the hurt will only make you turn to the wrong people.” – Unknown
- “Do not pretend that you care so much when you had the chance you hurt me.” – Unknown
- “If you learn how to forgive the people who hurt you, you will live a pleased life.” – Unknown
Deep Love Hurts Quotes
- “I thought I lost you, but you were never really there. Maybe that should make it hurt less, but it doesn’t.” – Unknown
- “When the person you love can’t see your love for them beneath the painful things you say when they reject you, remember this: Love is blind.” – Shannon L. Alder
- “That feeling you get in your stomach when your heart’s broken. It’s like all the butterflies just died.” –
- “That old saying, how you always hurt the one you love, well, it works both ways.” – Chuck Palahniuk
- “If they keep hurting you, love them and stay or love yourself and leave.” – Unknown
- “When someone you dearly love decides to walk away, you feel your world has crumbled. You cannot bear the hurt. The love ceases to exist.” – Unknown
- “Because nothing makes me happier and nothing makes me sadder than you.” – Unknown
- “Relationships are like glass. Sometimes it’s better to leave them broken than try to hurt yourself putting it back together.” – Unknown
- “It is sad not to love, but it is much sadder not to be able to love.” – Unknown
- “The reason it hurts so much to separate is because our souls are connected.” – Nicholas Sparks
- “Among my stillness was a pounding heart.” – Shannon A. Thompson
- “We fell into a well called love, and only you were able to get out.” – Unknown
- “Everybody can see a laughing face but nobody can see a broken heart.” – Unknown
- “If someone keeps on hurting you, you have to decide if you want to love them and stay, or you can decide to love yourself and choose to leave.” – Unknown
- “You put me through so much hell, and I was blind enough to call it love.” – Unknown
- “The more you open up to loving people who don’t deserve to be loved, the more likely you are to be hurt irreparably by their actions.”
- “I tried to stay by your side, but you pushed me away instead.” – Unknown
- “So, it’s true when all is said and done, grief is the price we pay for love.” – Unknown
- “Hands that never touch. Lips that never meet. Almost Lovers, never to be.” – Unknown
- “All I ever did was love you when we were together. And all you did was hurt me.” – Unknown
- “It’s amazing how someone can break your heart and you can still love them with all the little pieces.” – Unknown
- “When you think you’re first falling in love, just then you realize you’re falling out of love.” – Unknown
People you love deeply are the ones who can hurt you the most. So, be prepared to get hurt when you are in love. The following sections will take you through some painful hurt quotes in English about love, anguish, and heartbreak.
Love Hurts Quotes For Him
- “There is one pain, I often feel, which you will never know. It’s caused by the absence of you.” – Unknown
- “Don’t hurt my feelings anymore. I left you my roses and you gave me your thorns.” – Godwin Delali Adadzie
- “We were left with nothing because of a love like acid that ate its way through our entire family.” – Unknown
- “I never thought this would happen to me when he said it was over; I felt so weak and hurt.” – Unknown
- “You’ve hurt my feelings; you’ve broken my heart. I gave you my time, I gave you my trust but you left me for another.” – Godwin Delali Adadzie
- “You lose yourself trying to hold on to someone who doesn’t care about losing you.” – Tablo
- “Sometimes even stuff you expect to happen can still hurt.” – Jennifer Brown
- “I believed, that you love me, but you broke my heart, And now my soul is bleeding with tears of anguish.” – Unknown
- “It hurts the most when the person who made you feel so special yesterday makes you feel so unwanted today.” – Unknown
- “I know so many last words. But I will never know hers.” – John Green
- “The hardest thing to do is watch the one you love, someone else.” – Unknown
- “Sometimes it’s better to push someone away, not because you stopped loving that someone, but because you have to shield yourself from pain.” – Unknown
- “Your decision never makes me happy, it makes me sad. How I wish you didn’t turn your back and walked away.” – Unknown
- “The hardest thing to do is to forgive someone who is not remorseful about hurting you but forgiving them is for your own sake and not theirs.” – Unknown
- “Don’t be scared of a relationship just because you expect it to hurt. It WILL hurt, but that’s okay. It’s going to be worth it.” – Unknown
- “When you fully give your heart to someone who doesn’t deserve your heart, chances are they are going to hurt you.” – Unknown
- “Trying to forget someone you love is like trying to remember someone you never knew.”
- “The pain of one-sided love, of knowing that I had loved her more than she had loved me.” – Sierra Simone
- “To fall in love is awfully simple, but to fall out of love is simply awful.” – Unknown
- “It hurts so much not to have you by my side, not to be around you, not to be with you. You are the pain that I won’t give up.” – Unknown
- “She can no longer see my pain in my eyes. I am now wiser to hide them in my smile.” – Unknown
- “It is painful to realize that after keeping someone as your priority for so long, you were just on the bottom list of her options.” – Unknown
Love Hurts Quotes For Her
- “He knows I’m strong enough to move on. But he also knew I was weak enough to look back.” – Unknown
- “Nothing hurts more than realizing he meant everything to you and you meant nothing to him.” – Unknown
- “There were things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So I buried them, and let them hurt me.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
- “I can’t love you unless I give you up.” – Edith Wharton
- “The end of love looks like the beginning of war.” – Bangambiki Habyarimana
- “But I do, and the barbed wire tightens once more, until my heart is strangled and broken.” – A.G. Howard
- “There were things I wanted to tell him. But I knew they would hurt him. So I buried them, and let them hurt me.” – Jonathan Safran Foer
- “You can’t have heartbreak without love. If your heart was really broken, then at least you know you really loved him.” — Leila Sales
- “When a man loves you, don’t take him for granted, try all your best never to hurt him, because if you lost his love, it is gone forever.” – Unknown
- “It’s so sad how you were such a big part of my life and now you’re just gone.” – Unknown
- “And every time I miss you I’m gonna remember how much you don’t.” – Unknown
- “If a man wants you, nothing can keep him away. If he doesn’t want you, nothing can make him stay.” – Unknown
- “Goodbyes that are never said and never explained hurt you the most.” – Unknown
- “Losing him was like having a hole shot straight through me, a painful, constant reminder, an absence I could never fill.” – Unknown
- “You cannot be with someone just because you don’t want to hurt him. You have your own happiness to think about.” – Melissa De La Cruz
- Never hold on to the people you love. If they love you as much as you love them, they’ll stay with you no matter what. If they don’t, you’d better let them go as soon as possible.
- The amount of love you give someone is proportionate to how badly they can hurt you.
- “When they grow out of love and walk away, they leave you in a mess. Like pulling out threads from the middle of the fabric.” – Unknown
- Loving him so much has become my identity. Now I don’t even know myself.
- There will always be a million reasons why he left you, but not a single one is worth the pain.
- Some people are going to leave, but that’s not the end of your story. That’s the end of their part in your story.
We are wired to offer and receive extraordinary warmth and love. However, loving someone deeply and not being loved enough hurts. From breakup to betrayal, our collection of ‘love hurts’ quotes have everything for everyone. Remember, you are not alone in this. Read the love pain quotes mentioned above to soothe your broken heart and find the courage to fight it.
Infographic: What To Do When Hurt In Love
Pain in love is inevitable. Sometimes, things may turn out differently, no matter how hard you try to give your best in love. But that doesn’t mean anything is wrong with you. Even if you make mistakes, there is always room for improvement. All you need to do is work towards making your life better instead of letting the pain take a toll on your life.
Below is an infographic that will help you overcome this pain in love. Check it out.
Humans are meant to offer and receive love. But the truth is, love and pain are a package deal. Even though it is common and justified, we often do not find the right people to share our pain. We do not want to inconvenience or bore others with our sob story. Thus, these “love hurts” quotes provide us with some much-needed assurance and encourage healing and moving on from the past. It is comforting to know that other people from various walks of life, across space and time, have felt the same heaviness and emotions in their hearts as us. It is good to know that we are not alone. We hope these quotes soothe your heart and give you the courage to go on.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is love a pain?
Love is not painful but challenging. It pushes you out of your comfort zone and demands transformation, which is challenging for many. However, if you feel your relationship is all about pain and misery, there must be some other factors causing them. Because love itself doesn’t hurt – expectations, issues, disagreements, and attachment may hurt.
What do you do when the person you love hurts you?
The first thing to do is assess your safety and understand the nature of the relationship – whether it is healthy or abusive. If it is abusive, reach out to your support system for help. If it is a healthy relationship and you otherwise feel safe with your partner, the first thing to do is to sit with what you are feeling—all the hurt and the pain—without disowning the negative emotions. Express them to the person who has hurt you without resorting to blame. In most cases, that may help resolve the conflict and pain. If that does not help, or resolution is not an option, you can make time for self-care and do the things that help you heal from the hurt and move on.
What hurts the most in love?
Love hurts the most when it leads to heartbreak, rejection, one-sidedness, or betrayal.
Why do I feel hurt in love?
Feeling hurt in love can be caused by various factors, like rejection, unmet needs and desires, cheating, or communication issues.
What is a sad love?
Sad love may be described as a difficult experience that has been painful for you to overcome and is accompanied by grief and loss.
Why does deep love hurt?
Deep love can hurt because it requires you to be vulnerable, show all your flaws and imperfections, and face your traumas and fears, along with the risk of being hurt.
When love feels empty?
Love can feel empty when it has lost its initial spark, if it lacks an emotional connection, or when it’s one-sided.
Click on the video below if your heart feels heavy and broken, and find solace in this collection of poignant quotes about love and sadness.