Madecassoside is fast earning a name in the skin care industry for its anti-aging and anti-inflammatory properties. This powerful component also helps soothe irritated skin and reduces skin itchiness and dryness. Thanks to its effectiveness, several skin care products have been incorporating this ingredient in their formulations. Here, we further discuss madecassoside, its benefits, and its potential side effects. Take a look.
In This Article
What Is Madecassoside?
Madecassoside is an active ingredient of the Centella Asiatic plant, and is popularly used in many skin care products and moisturizers. It is known to combat different skin issues like inflammation and redness and enhance skin quality. Madecassoside acts as a repairing agent for skin. It is rich in amino acids, fatty acids, and phytochemicals well known for their healing and soothing properties.
In the following section, we will look at the benefits of madecassoside for skin.
Benefits Of Madecassoside For Skin
Below listed are a few benefits of madecassoside for your skin.
- May Help may help fight inflammation, acne, or skin redness. It also may help treat photodamaged skin (1). Madecassoside also protects your skin from the harmful effects of UV rays and pollutants (2).
- May Suit All Skin Types: Madecassoside may suit all skin types. It may boost hydration in dry skin and calm down the inflammatory cells in acne-prone or sensitive skin. However, concrete research is lacking in this regard and more information is warranted.
- Has Anti-Aging Properties: Madecassoside may also make you look younger thanks to its excellent anti-aging properties (1). This ingredient may play a huge role in promoting collagen synthesis and reduce wrinkles, dryness, and skin roughness.
These are the important benefits of madecassoside. In the next section, we will look at how you can use it to avail its benefits.
How To Use Madecassoside
Madecassoside is generally found in thick creams and balms. Most creams with madecassoside go well with the combination of niacinamide, witch hazel, and pantheon. These ingredients work together to enhance skin moisture and reduce skin redness. Madecassoside creams can be topically applied during the day or night over a cleansed and dry face, lips, and body.
The combination of vitamin C and madecassoside helps boost collagen production (3). These ingredients are usually found in a variety of serums and can be applied twice a day, in the morning and at night.
Another combination includes madecassoside with hyaluronic acid, which further hydrates skin and makes skin supple. Hyaluronic acid offers deep moisturization and softens the skin too. This combination can also be used day and night, on a cleansed and toned face.
While madecassoside seems to have certain benefits, it also may cause adverse effects in some individuals. We will explore the same in the following section.
Side Effects Of Madecassoside
Though madecassoside may work on all skin types, it still could cause allergies in those with excessively sensitive skin. However, direct research pertaining to the side effects of madecassoside is lacking.
You are still advised to do a patch test before using it on your skin.
The Difference Between Madecassoside And The Rest
The incorporation of the Centella Asiatic plant is a revolutionary discovery in the skincare industry. The plant and its compounds like Madecassoside, Madecassic Acid, Asiaticoside, and Asiatic Acid have also changed the face of skincare and have made complex skin issues easier to combat. Here is a quick rundown of Madecassoside and other components
- Madecassic Acid: Madecassic acid is also a component of the Centella Asiatic plant. It is similar to madecassoside and has the power to stimulate collagen and heal skin. It also calms and reduces skin redness.
- Asiaticoside: Asiaticoside is a phytochemical found in the Centella Asiatic plant. It may help fade scars and prevent breakouts. It also has antibacterial properties.
- Asiatic Acid: The Asiatic acid promotes collagen production and faster wound and acne healing. It also may fight premature aging.
Madecassoside is a favorable option for people who are looking for treating skin inflammation and redness. Incorporating it into your skin care routine can soothe your skin and seal skin moisture. It also may help repair damaged skin. However, it may cause some allergies in individuals with excessively sensitive skin. Doing a patch test is recommended.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Is Madecassoside good for oily skin?
Yes, madecassoside can be recommended for oily skin. It has soothing and healing properties, and is hence infused in balms and creams. It has a gentle texture that is not heavy or oily.
Does madecassoside cause breakouts?
No, madecassoside does not cause breakouts. It possesses anti-inflammatory properties that help treat acne-prone skin.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Madecassoside Inhibits Melanin Synthesis by Blocking Ultraviolet-Induced Inflammation
- Protective Effect of Madecassoside
- Clinical biometric and structural evaluation of the long-term effects of a topical treatment with ascorbic acid and madecassoside in photoaged human skin