Hard water damages hair. It leaves mineral buildup in the hair and on the scalp, causing severe deterioration. While there are many hair products you can use, like clarifying shampoos and conditioners, none of them effectively remove product residue and buildup. This is where we turn to the Malibu hair treatment.
In this article, we break down what the Malibu treatment is and how it can benefit your hair. Scroll down to know more!
In This Article
How Does The Malibu Hair Treatment Work
The Malibu hair treatment comes in a packet containing crystallized vitamin C granules. These granules are mixed with filtered or distilled water, applied to hair, and are left to be processed under a hooded heated dryer for about 20 to 40 minutes. The duration and the cost of the treatment depend on your hair length and thickness (though the treatment generally costs around 35 dollars).
What Does It Do To/For Hair
This treatment removes any buildup and product residue from the hair and scalp. It also removes the residue left by hard water and chlorine from swimming pools.
The iron and calcium in hard water may darken light hair. The minerals may also damage hair, reduce its thickness, shine, and body, and also fade any hair color. Chlorine may damage hair and also affect its UV protection. Hard water and chlorine residues are difficult to remove with regular shampoos. The Malibu hair treatment is often a desirable alternative in this regard. It also could remove any particles left behind by medications and water softeners.
We discuss the benefits of this treatment in the following section.
Hair Benefits Of The Malibu Treatment
- It removes buildup from hard water and medications.
- It effectively removes any brassy, ashy, or muddy discolorations.
- The crystal gel contains pharmaceutical-grade ascorbic acid, the most potent form of vitamin C. Ascorbic acid improves blood flow to the scalp (1). It also has natural antioxidant properties (2).
- Its antioxidants prevent hair oxidation caused by chemical treatments.
- Its multi-action formula soothes any scalp irritation caused by chemical services.
- It can be used on virgin or chemically- and color-treated hair.
- It preps the hair for other treatments like perms and coloring.
The Malibu hair treatment predominantly uses vitamin C. In the following section, we discuss the benefits of this nutrient for hair.
Benefits Of Ascorbic Acid For Hair
Ascorbic acid is the purest form of vitamin C. It is said to improve blood flow to the scalp (1). It also has natural antioxidant properties (2). Vitamin C deficiency leads to scurvy, which may cause hair loss and hair structure alterations (3), (4). The nutrient is often used as a scalp cleanser and may maintain the pH balance of the scalp and hair.
Why should you consider the Malibu hair treatment? While we have seen its benefits, the treatment also has other advantages.
General Pros Of The Malibu Hair Treatment
- It is 100% vegan and uses ionic food-grade wellness ingredients.
- It instantly improves hair feel and appearance.
- It boosts hair health with added chelators.
- It is eco-friendly and travel-friendly.
- It does not contain any preservatives, parabens, gluten, fragrances, or sodium chloride.
- It is cruelty-free.
How The Malibu Hair Treatment Is Given
- The stylist washes your hair with a shampoo and rinses it.
- They lather the treatment crystals into your hair. The crystals dissolve and form a gel that spreads easily through your hair.
- They scrunch up your hair. They also may use a hooded hair dryer to add heat to the process.
- They leave your hair under the dryer for 15 to 40 minutes.
- The stylist rinses off the gel and follows with a shampoo and conditioner wash.
When Should The Treatment Be Done?
The Malibu hair treatment should be done before any chemical or coloring treatments. Since it removes residue from hair, it prevents the chemicals from interacting with the residue (which may otherwise leave your hair unevenly processed). The treatment is also believed to improve product absorption when used before other treatments.
Where Should It Be Done?
The Malibu hair treatment should be done by a professional stylist at a salon. It must not be carried out at home. The crystals are specifically formulated for in-house salon treatments. The treatment requires an even distribution of heat over your hair, something a regular hair dryer (often used at home) may not achieve.
You can find other Malibu products like shampoos and conditioners that help remove buildup. These can be used at home.
How Often Should Your Repeat The Malibu Hair Treatment?
You can repeat the Malibu hair treatment once every nine weeks for the best results. Your stylist may recommend more frequent repetitions if you have color- or chemically-treated hair. Follow the instructions mentioned if you are using other malibu products, like the clarifying shampoo or conditioner.
Does The Treatment Fade Hair Color?
The malibu hair treatment removes any brassy, muddy, or ashy discoloration caused by hard water minerals. It prevents any oxidation caused by chemical treatments and products like peroxide. It does not fade the hair color when done right – one reason it must be carried out by a professional stylist.
Now you know how effective the Malibu treatment is in reversing the adverse effects of hard water. Hard water can severely damage your hair. But you do not have to worry about that with the Malibu hair treatment. Adding it to your hair care schedule can improve your hair health, feel, and appearance.
- 16 Effective Hair Spa Treatments That You Can Do At Home
- 24 Dry Hair Treatments From Your Kitchen
- 9 Best Chelating Shampoos For Your Hair – 2020
- The 10 Best Shampoos For Hard Water