Melissa McCarthy made the world come to a standstill when she appeared in her new avatar. The Gilmore Girls actress lost a whopping 75 pounds! And she glowed with confidence. Can anything stop this two-time Oscar-nominated Can You Ever Forgive Me, actress?
We commend her determination – be it achieving new heights in her career or shedding pounds to be healthy. Read on to know about Melissa McCarthy’s inspiring weight loss journey. Swipe up!
In This Article
The Beginning – Why Did Melissa McCarthy Gain Weight?
Melissa McCarthy grew up in Illinois. Though she was not overly chubby as a kid, she started to gain weight when she made unhealthy food choices later in life.
In an interview with The Rolling Stones, Melissa McCarthy said, “I do think I worried about weight too soon, when it was only little-kid weight. I thought I battled weight throughout high school, but I look back at pictures of me as a cheerleader, doing sprints, lifting weights, doing gymnastics, playing tennis, and while I wasn’t reed-thin like some girls … I was a size six the entire time. So what on Earth was I freaking out about?”
“I’ve been every size in the world,” she said, “parts of my twenties, I was in great shape, but I didn’t appreciate it. If I was a 6 or an 8, I thought, ‘Why aren’t I a 2 or a 4?’”
After she moved to L.A., she started eating unhealthy and stopped exercising and gained 25 pounds.
How Did Melissa McCarthy Lose Weight?
After bagging a role in Gilmore Girls, Melissa went on a crazy diet, which she says she will never go back to! She went on a doctor-supervised liquid diet and lost 70 pounds in four months. But she said she felt, “starved and crazy half the time.”
The best diets are the ones that don’t make you feel hungry all the time. Try the fast metabolism diet if that’s what you are looking for.
Melissa McCarthy chose to go on a low-carb diet as that seemed to work well for her. Let’s find out what she ate and how the diet helped her shed the pounds.
Melissa McCarthy’s Weight Loss Diet
|Meals||What Melissa McCarthy Eats|
|Breakfast||Scrambled eggs with 1 oz high-quality lean protein (chicken or turkey breast) + 1 glass green smoothie made with kale/ spinach/ parsley, chia seeds, and almond milk|
|Snack||½ cup baby carrots and hummus|
|Lunch||1 cup green tea + 3 oz chicken or turkey breast + side of vegetable and quinoa salad|
|Snack||1 cup (8 fluid ounces) freshly pressed juice|
|Dinner||⅔ cup steamed veggies + ½ avocado + 3 oz chicken or turkey breast|
It is clear from her diet chart that she makes sure to:
- Consume Healthy Fats – Chia seeds, avocado, and almond milk are sources of healthy fats. Healthy fats help reduce inflammation and inflammation-induced weight gain.
- Include Protein – Proteins are the building blocks of our body. Lean protein sources like chicken breast, turkey breast, hummus, and eggs help increase satiety, build lean muscle mass, and boost metabolism and muscle recovery.
- Consume Good Carbs – Veggies, fruit juice, quinoa, and vegetable juice are good sources of good carbs or dietary fiber. They take longer to digest, improve bowel movement, and boost metabolism.
- Flush Out Toxins – Green tea has antioxidants that help nullify the effect of harmful free oxygen radicals. Green tea also helps suppress appetite and rejuvenates the body and mind.
- Avoid Sugar – Avoiding refined sugar and sugary products helps avoid piling on calories, regulates blood sugar levels, and prevents a general feeling of lethargy.
- Stay Hydrated – Melissa McCarthy drank enough water to help flush out the toxins and maintain the internal pH levels and homeostasis – all of which are important for weight loss.
- Take Rest – Resting and sleeping aid weight loss. The more stressed you are, the lesser you will sleep or rest, and the more prone you will be to binge eating. This will lead to weight gain. So, sleep and take rest.
- Drink Water With Fresh Lemon – Lemon water is great for weight loss. It adds flavor, helps maintain the internal pH balance, flushes out toxins, and prevents overeating.
In an interview with TMZ, Melissa McCarthy opened up about her weight loss. She frankly admitted that it was a magic weight loss pill along with light exercise and diet routine that helped her shed the pounds.
She told TMZ, “Honestly, I couldn’t have done it if I’d even wanted to! *laughs* No, I didn’t need to exercise every day. I’ve always liked to jog every few days, but I didn’t change my routine. The only thing I did was took these pills. They’re a natural weight loss supplement called AtraFen Weight Loss Aid. They’re totally safe.” Well, are they? Let’s find out!
How Did AtraFen Weight Loss Aid Help Melissa McCarthy Lose Weight?
AtraFen Weight Loss Aid is a weight loss supplement. According to the website, “AtraFen is smooth, effective and perfected for quick AND maintainable results… not profit!”
It is a fat burner and appetite suppressor. It burns fat by increasing thermogenesis, boosting metabolism, and increasing energy levels and mental focus. These pills are made with a pure and balanced formula that will not create a hormonal imbalance, which may lead to binge eating and unsustainable weight loss.
It is clear that AtraFen Weight Loss Aid targets the main causes of weight gain – slow metabolism, binge eating, low energy levels, etc. And the best part is, the good people at TMZ put it to test. And here’s the result.
Week 1 – One AtraFen supplement in the morning for a week. The major changes were an increase in energy and satiety levels. This prevented binge eating and helped utilize the already stored fat as the fuel source.
Weeks 2 And 3 – One AtraFen supplement in the morning throughout Weeks 2 and 3 helped lose about 16 pounds! And although most diets tend to fizz out by this time, AtraFen kept the energy levels high and hunger levels low. The best part, no extra forceful changes in diet are required.
Week 4 – By the end of Week 4, a total of 42 pounds were lost!
If you decide to use these pills, consult your doctor first because a lot of times, you may be allergic to certain ingredients or medications.
This, however, did not mean that she only depended on the pills to lose weight. She worked out regularly to keep herself fit and healthy. Here’s her workout plan.
Melissa McCarthy Workout Plan
Melissa was not big on working out. She told in an interview that she would jog every other day. But once she was on a weight loss mission, she worked closely with her trainer to shape up. She did a mixed workout that worked best for her. Here’s what she did.
Strength Training (Monday, Wednesday, and Friday)
- Farmer’s Walk – Melissa would pick up two dumbbells in each hand and do lunges and walk around the gym to burn the fat in her thighs and glutes.
- Inverted Pull Ups – A Smith machine bar would be set at hip height, and all Melissa did was lie down, hold the bar with both hands, and try to pull her upper body close to the bar. This helped shape her arms, shoulders, and chest.
- Dumbbell Bench Press – Doing dumbbell bench press instead of using a bar helped her get the most out of this exercise. Her upper back, arms, chest, and shoulders were the main targets of this exercise. She did 3 sets of 12 reps.
- Dumbbell Deadlift – Using the same dumbbells, Melissa did 3 sets of 10 dumbbell deadlifts to work her lower back and glutes. She concentrated more on maintaining correct posture with exercise.
- Smith Machine Squats – Smith Machine squats were the best for Melissa as they canceled out any chances of low back injury. First, she would warm up with just the bar and then put 20 pounds on each end of the bar and do 3 sets of 12 reps.
Cardio (Tuesday And Thursday)
- Bench Press
- Leg Press
- Rowing MAchine
- Military Press
- Tricep Extension
- Bicep Curl
Melissa McCarthy put her energy and time to lose the pounds for good. Yes, the supplements helped her, but remember, nothing or no one can help transform your body unless you help yourself.
If you are not comfortable with your weight or health condition right now, check with a doctor or dietitian, get a customized diet plan, chalk out a workout plan, and steer clear of unhealthy foods. Lastly, get inspired by the fiercely beautiful Melissa McCarthy. Cheers!
- Mariah Carey’s Stunning Transformation After Losing 25 Pounds
- 30 Ways To Lose Weight Naturally
- How To Start Losing Weight Now – 51 Different Ways
- Revealed! Khloe Kardashian Weight Loss Secrets