If you have not joined the hairstyling bandwagon yet, you are probably missing out on all the fun you can have with your hair. Whether you want a perfect blowout look or define your ringlets, a hair mousse is what you need.
Compared to the sticky hair styling gels, hair mousse is lightweight and non-greasy. When used properly, it provides medium hold and can rescue you from frequent bad hair days. If you haven’t tried a hair mousse yet, it’s time you give it a shot. This article explains the benefits of a hair mousse and how you can use it to style your hair. Scroll down.
Table Of Contents
What Is Hair Mousse?
Mousse in French means foam. However, mousse for hair is not the typical foam that is used in several cosmetic formulations. Hair mousse has a lighter consistency than hair gels and appears bouncier than the cream. Mousse contains soft copolymers and provides a light hold to the hair to give it a more natural finish. Using mousse has several benefits.
What Does Mousse Do For Hair: Benefits
- Hair mousse protects the hair from humidity and holds the hairstyle, irrespective of the weather conditions.
- Mousse can tame even the wildest of curls. It does not weigh the hair down or grease the curls but keeps them soft, crunch-free, and well-defined.
- Mousse has a fluffy texture that gives your hair a fuller, thicker, and bouncier appearance.
- If you have fine and limp hair, mousse can lift and volumize it instantly.
- The right mousse can protect your hair from heating tools as it contains a special coating that prevents heat damage.
- Hair mousse works on all hair types and textures and can define your hair the way you want.
Now that you understand the benefits, let us find out how you can use a hair mousse.
How To Use Hair Mousse
If you have found the best mousse for hair, these steps will help you use it the right way:
- Clean Your Hair
Shampoo your hair to clean all the dirt, dust, and grime. Follow up with a conditioner to ensure it is adequately moisturized. Hair mousse works great on clean hair. Do not dry your hair completely, as hair mousse works only on damp hair.
- A Little Goes A Long Way
Take a small quantity of hair mousse and spread it from the roots to the tips. Use your fingers to distribute the mousse evenly through your hair.
- Style Your Way
Use a blow dryer to style your hair. If you have curly hair, use the blow dryer with a diffuser hair on the medium heat setting and work in circular motions. If you have straight hair, use a round brush to add volume and lift.
Before you pick a hair mousse, always check the ingredients list to ensure your hair is protected.
Can Mousse Damage The Hair? What Are The Risks?
Hair mousse contains varying amounts of alcohol, depending on the formula and the brand. Alcohol is a crucial part of the formula as it supports quick drying.
Using hair mousse excessively can dry the hair strands, especially the hair ends, and cause split ends, hair breakage, and frizziness. Overusing mousse may also affect chemically treated (permed and straightened) and colored hair.
Watch out for these chemicals:
These may further dry out the hair and cause breakage. Choose a formula that does not contain alcohol and any of the damaging ingredients. You can use a hair mousse to style your hair in any way you want.
Does Mousse Make Hair Curly?
No. A hair mousse does not make the hair curly. However, it can help you style your straight hair in curls. You can apply hair mousse before blow drying and using curling tongs.
If you have naturally curly hair, mousse can only help you define the curls. It has buildable coverage and can be layered with other hair styling products to define your natural curls.
In A Nutshell
Hair mousse is the ultimate styling product for anyone who wants to volumize the hair and add texture. It can hold the hairstyle for hours and in humidity without weighing it down. If you have been using the stiff and scrunchy hair styling products, it’s time to switch to the hair mousse.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is it safe to use a hair mousse?
Yes, it is safe to use hair mousse. However, to prevent hair damage, use it sparingly, and avoid using products that contain alcohol.
Can anyone use a hair mousse?
Yes, hair mousse suits all hair types and textures.
- 15 Best Hair Mousses Of 2020 – Reviews And Buyer’s Guide
- 13 Best Vegan Hair Mousse Brands In 2020
- 11 Best Mousses For Thin Hair – Give Your Hair A Volume Boost
- 15 Best Mousses For Curly Hair To Buy Online In 2020
Latest posts by Ramona Sinha (see all)
- Nonverbal Clues That Someone Really Likes You - May 12, 2021
- How To Deal With An Excessive Oily Nose Tips And Remedies - May 7, 2021
- Castor Oil For Face: Benefits, Risks, And How To Use It - May 5, 2021
- Abyssinian Oil For Hair: Benefits And How To Use It - May 2, 2021
- Does Metformin Cause Hair Loss? - May 2, 2021