“A grandmother is both a sword and a shield.” – Fredrik Backman
Grandmothers hold a unique place in our hearts. They love us unconditionally and spoil us with gifts, hugs, and food. They will cook your favorite recipes and feed you till you are bursting at the seams. A grandmother’s food is the ultimate comfort food!
Grandmothers are treasure troves. They share their wisdom with us as bedtime stories. You will never fully understand how instrumental they are in shaping your life. They always want the best for us and will always root for us.
Next to our parents, they are the first ones we know as family. No wonder we have special nicknames for them to show them how special they are. If you are looking for sweet nicknames to call your grandmother – we have got you covered. Take a look at our list of amazing nicknames!
In This Article
Cute Nicknames For Grandma
“Grandma always made you feel she had been waiting to see just you all day and now the day was complete.” – Marcy DeMaree
Cute, cuddly, and someone who envelopes you with love – that’s a grandmother for you. They are warm and caring. They always ask you if you are hungry and whip up something in a jiffy! It does not matter if you are 2 or 52 – to a grandmother, you will always be a baby to pamper. Here are some cute nicknames for your loving grandma.
- Granny: A common but sweet way to address your grandmother.
- Mama [Last Name]: Simply add your family name for a cute way to call your maternal or paternal grandmother.
- Gam Gam: An adorable nickname which is easy for toddlers to pronounce.
- MaMaw: A fun way to call your grandmother as she wraps you in a hug!
- Gammie: A lovely name for your grandmother in baby language
- MeMawMaw: This is another popular nickname for your grandmother, especially in southwestern parts of America.
- Gram Gram: Shower your some love by calling her Gram Gram in a sing-song voice. The second ‘Gram’ is for emphasis that you are craving her attention.
- Mimi: An adorable way to call your grandmother, which is a little reminiscent of ‘mummy.’
- Grandma: A traditional and classy way to address your grandmother.
- Nana: This is a super sweet way to call your grandmother who is always there for you.
- Grandma [Last Name]: Another classic grandmother nickname is to add the family name to ‘Grandma.’ This also helps you distinguish between your paternal and maternal grandmothers.
- Oma: A loveable way to call your grandmother. It is easy for toddlers to pronounce and remember.
- Mammy: This is another play on the word ‘mummy.’
- Gege: A charming nickname for a cool grandmother.
- MeeMaw: For the ones who find ‘MeMawMaw’ hard to say – this is an adorable compromise.
- Gram: Before it was short for Instagram, ‘Gram’ meant grandmother universally!
Cool Nicknames For Grandma
“Every house needs a grandmother in it.” – Louisa May Alcott
Grandmothers come in all shapes, sizes, and personalities! If your grandmother is cool and sassy, she will be super happy if you call her a fun nickname. ‘Grandmother’ or ‘Granny’ will not do justice to her bubbly and fun personality. Check out our top picks for cool grandma nicknames!
- Gigi: A simple way to call your grandmother as it only has two repetitive syllables. Even a 2-year-old can pick it up quickly!
- G-Ma: A hip name for a cool grandmother!
- G-Mama: Another cool and fun name to call your grandmother who always has your back.
- G-Mam: This is not so common, but it has a cool and edgy feel to it. This is an apt nickname for a grandma who is strong and independent.
- G-Mom: Also a rare way to address your grandmother.
- G-Madre: Popular in Spanish-speaking communities, it has a modern touch to the traditional nickname.
- Glam-ma: What a perfect name for that grandmother who is always dressed up and classy!
- Glammy: Another name for your grandmother who is stylish and maternal.
- Granny Pie: A super endearing nickname for a grandmother who calls you ‘cutie pie.’ It’s a perfect pair!
- Grampoo: Such a delightful nickname for a grandmother who is loving but a little grumpy.
- Nina: Another perfectly cute name for your grandmother.
- Queen: Of course, a grandmother who commands respect and love deserves to be addressed as the queen that she is.
- Queenie: An easier way to call your authoritative yet loving grandmother.
- Pippo: A precious name for a delightful, warm, and loving grandmother.
- Bibi: A lovely name for a chill granny.
- Big Mama: A popular grandmother name for feisty and sassy ladies.
- Bobo: What a cute and easy nickname for a grandmother! It is simple and cool at the same time.
- Bunny: Is there anything cooler than Bugs Bunny? Well, how about you borrow the name for your equally cool grandmother?
- Cookie: Well, if there is someone who is sweet and warm like a cookie, it has to be a grandmother who smells like one since she keeps baking endless batches of cookies for you. It is a perfect nickname for such grandmothers.
- Cee Cee: A cool and delightful nickname for a chic and loving grandmother.
- Cha-Cha: An endearing way to call your grandmother as she envelopes you in hugs and cuddles.
- Brownie: A popular favorite of young kids and even adults. This warm, chocolatey baked deliciousness can be a cool nickname for your grandma.
- Deeda: Another easy way for toddlers to communicate with their grandmothers. It sounds similar to DaDa, which is one of the first words they learn.
- DiDi: Cool nickname to call that fierce grandmother who always has your back.
- Eemaw: This is more like a baby language nickname for an adoring grandmother.
- Gram Cracker: Another unique yet endearing way to call your grandmother.
- Honey: Someone who is as sweet and soothing as honey should be called so.
- Hopie: A lovely nickname for a cool and fun grandmother who always adds a spring to your step!
- Lolli: An adorable nickname for your grandmother who is always smuggling you pocket money on the side.
- Grandmama: A universally appealing nickname for your grandmother.
Funny Nicknames For Grandma
“Grandmas never run out of hugs or cookies.” – Unknown
Laughter is contagious. If you have a grandmother who is always teasing and pulling your leg, you are lucky! It is her way of showing how much she loves and adores you. Wondering how to address a grandmother with a great sense of humor? Take a look.
- Mimzy: A lovely and fun way to call a grandmother who is cute and funny.
- Momsie: An adorable way to address your grandmother who showers you with love and hugs.
- MooMaw: A quirky and funny nickname for your grandmother to go with her personality.
- Sunny: A bright, chirpy, and fun grandmother needs a name that shows off her disposition.
- Tootsie: What a sweet and funny nickname for an endearing grandmother.
- Gamma: Probably a mispronunciation of grandmother that stuck. A lovely way to call your granny.
- Gammie or Gammy: An informal nickname for your grandmother. It is warm and popular across the world.
- Gam Gam: A beautiful nickname for your fun and quirky grandmother.
- Gran: A short and cool name for the grandmother who loves you unconditionally.
- Grana: This is a rare nickname for grandmothers, but it has a stylish ring to it. It even rhymes with ‘Nana.’
- Granny or Grannie: Another popular nickname for grandmothers. This is probably what most kids grew up calling their grandmother.
- Gramlo: This is a unique name for that off-beat but cool grandmother who cracks you up with her jokes.
- Grams or Gramms: This appealing nickname for your grandmother is something out of a fairytale.
- Gramma: Another name popular among young kids who are just learning to speak.
- Meemow: Funny nickname for a grandmother with lots of furry pets.
- Nan: This is a cool name that is short for ‘Nana.’
- Nona: Another adorable nickname for your grandmother who is always making sure you are not hungry.
- Nanny: A easy nickname for ‘Nana’ or ‘Nan.’
- Apa: A popular nickname for a grandmother who is wise and warm.
- Ema: A short and sweet nickname for a grandmother who is always forcing you to wear a sweater.
- Nene: A delightful grandmother who sings lullabies needs a name to suit her personality.
- Fluffy: This is a fun name for a grandmother who is warm and keeps knitting fuzzy socks for Christmas.
- GaGa: Another funny baby-babble nickname for your grandmother.
- Ganna: Another funny but cute nickname for your grandmother.
- Gie Gie: Almost similar to Gigi, this is an adorable name for the grandmother who is always brewing pots of tea.
- Hammaw: A rare but cool nickname for that grandmother who can’t stop laughing.
- Mumu: A lovely nickname for the fun-loving grandmother.
- Ona: What an endearing name to address the grandmother who is always teasing you!
- Oona: A slight play on the previous nickname that is easier for the kids to pronounce.
- Tutu: This is a funny nickname for that grandmother who is always pranking you.
- YuTu: You can use this nickname to get back at your grandmother for coming up with funny nicknames for you.
- Zsa-Zsa: An offbeat nickname for a grandmother who loves to watch the news all the time.
Pet Names For Grandmother
“A grandmother is a little bit parent, a little bit teacher, and a little bit best friend.” – Unknown
Grandmothers are probably the first people a child interacts with apart from their parents and siblings. They are always there to support and comfort the family. From inside jokes to discreetly slipping you pocket money – grandmothers and grandchildren share many secrets. They have special nicknames for you, and you reciprocate with your own unique ways to call your grandmother.
- Bambi: A cute homage to the lovely children’s cartoon.
- Ba-Nana: Get it? It is such a fun name to call your grandmother!
- Bubbles: A bubbly grandmother deserves a name that shows off her effervescent personality.
- Ammaamma: A lovely way to call your grandmother, popular in south Asian communities.
- Granny Cupcakes: If you love cupcakes, surely you must love your grandmother who bakes them even more.
- Granny Mammy: Such an adorable nickname based on child logic.
- Huggy or Huggly: A snuggly, cuddly grandmother needs this lovely nickname.
- Lulu: A goofy yet adorable nickname for your grandmother.
- Lovey: A sweet and lovey-dovey nickname for your grandmother.
- Mermie: A grandmother who keeps you entertained for hours on end with stories about mermaids and unicorns.
- Mini-Ma: This simple nickname is perfect for a grandmother who shields you from your parent’s ire.
- Momsy: A grandmother who comforts you when you are sick and feeds you warm chicken soup deserves a unique name.
- Moo-Moo: A grandmother who chases you to keep drinking your milk so you grow up strong and healthy.
- Muffy: Mittens, muffins, and warm mufflers – these are all warm wintery things that remind you of your grandmother.
- Nanoo: A cute pet name for your grandmother.
- Nooni: This is a sweet but rare nickname for your grandma.
- Peaches: The rosy cheeks of your grandmother that blush when she laughs at your clumsy antics may remind you of soft, ripe peaches.
- Pittypat: A warm chocolate drink with marshmallows generously thrown in on a rainy day? The pitter-patter of raindrops must remind you of your grandmother.
- Pumpkin Pie: Autumn, pumpkin pies, and your grandmother’s lap – what better nickname for your grandmother who calls you “my little pumpkin?”
- Snuggy or Snuggums: A grandmother who smothers you with cuddles and hugs definitely needs this nickname.
- Cuppy Cakes: A sweet nickname for your sweet and adorable grandmother.
- Twinkles: There is no grandmother whose eyes don’t light up when they see you. Surely, they deserve this endearing pet nickname.
- Bubba: This is a cutesy nickname that just rolls off your tongue.
The love between a grandmother and a grandchild is forever. We can never forget how instrumental grandmothers are and will always be in shaping us. Their unconditional love is irreplaceable. They always have our back and will never stop pampering or spoiling us. No wonder we have a special place in our hearts for them and special names for them!