Applying a greasy layer of oil on your skin may not sound appealing to many people. Imagine all the dust and grime that it will attract! But, what if we told you that you could use oil to clean your skin just like you would with soap? Well, the oil facial cleansing method does exactly that. This article covers everything you need to know about the oil cleansing method, right from choosing the right oil to different techniques for different skin conditions. So, let us begin!
Table Of Contents
What Is The Oil Cleansing Method?
As the name indicates, the oil cleansing method involves the use of natural oils for gently cleansing the skin. This method does not involve the use of soaps and cleansers that can potentially strip your skin of its moisture and make it dry. The oil cleansing method relies on lubrication to reward you with radiant skin.
Beauty experts believe that using a blend of natural oils can help cleanse and nourish the skin and balance its natural oils. As a result, you are said to be blessed with supple, moisturized, nourished, and radiant skin.
Let us now find out how oil cleansing works.
How Does Oil Cleansing Work?
The oil cleansing method rests on the basic scientific principle “like dissolves like.” Oil is a non-polar solvent, while water is a polar solvent. As a result, water cannot dissolve oil and remove it from your skin’s surface.
On the other hand, non-polar solvents that have a similar composition as that of the natural oil on your skin can dissolve this surface oil along with any impurities that may have hardened with it. In the process, the oil eliminates any impurities that may be clogging your pores.
Additionally, the oil cleansing method also replaces the dirty oil with a fresh layer of plant-based oils that can impart nourishing properties to the skin. Thus, it may potentially help treat skin conditions such as skin sensitivity, acne, dryness, blackheads, whiteheads, and oiliness.
Read on to find out which cleansing oils are the best for the oil cleansing method.
Cleansing Oil Suggestions For The Oil Cleansing Method
The oil cleansing method requires the right kind of oil. In some cases, you can even use a blend of oils. You may also come across beauty brands that offer oil cleansers.
All the chatter surrounding this technique may make you wonder about the best oils to use for the oil cleansing method. For starters, you can easily make your own DIY oil cleanser by mixing two or more natural oils. You may even apply a single oil to your skin.
The dissolution and removal of impurities depend on the various components of oil, which include:
- Fatty acids
- Phenolic compounds
The ratio of these elements may determine the effectiveness of the oil.
Most DIY oil cleanser recipes use a mix of olive oil and castor oil in a 1:1 ratio. Since olive oil has vitamins and antioxidants, it can enrich the skin with vital nutrients and also hydrate it (1). Castor oil, on the other hand, is said to impart antibacterial properties to the cleanser (1). However, the reported astringent action of castor oil can cause mild drying of the skin.
Ultimately, the perfect oil blend depends on your skin type and the skin condition that you wish to fix. Hence, you may have to experiment a bit.
Some of the best oils for the oil cleansing method are:
- Olive oil
- Castor oil
- Grapeseed oil
- Coconut oil
- Avocado oil
- Sweet almond oil
- Sesame oil
- Sunflower oil
- Argan oil
- Jojoba oil
- Apricot kernel oil
Be mindful of buying high-quality natural oils that are free of additives like fragrances, scents, and dyes. For best results, you should go for cold-pressed, virgin, or unrefined oils that are specifically formulated for skin care.
The next section will take a look at how to do the oil cleansing method.
How To Perform Oil Cleansing?
You Will Need:
- A natural oil depending on your skin type (more on this later)
- A soft washcloth
- Filtered water
Here is how to do the oil cleansing method:
- Boil some filtered water in a container and dunk the washcloth in it. After a few seconds of sterilization, fish it out of the container and wring it to get rid of every last drop of water.
- Place the steamed washcloth on your face and let it sit for about 20 seconds or so. The dampness will dislodge any dirt or oils sitting on the surface of your skin.
- Your skin must be dry before you do the oil cleansing method so wipe it dry.
- Apply a generous layer of the oil of your choice. Use your fingertips to massage your skin in a circular motion. Do this for at least 1 to 2 minutes.
- Place another steamed washcloth on your face and leave it on for a minute or two.
- Use the washcloth to wipe away the excess oil. Be careful not to scrub your skin as it can cause breakouts. If your skin still feels too oily, you can rinse it with some warm water.
- Gently pat your skin with your fingertips. Apply moisturizer.
The above method is the basic way to do the oil cleansing method. You can also follow the one popularized by K-beauty trends. The double-oil cleansing method goes as below:
- Follow steps 1 to 4 of the basic oil cleansing method.
- Cleanse your skin with a mild facial cleanser that will not strip your skin of its freshly acquired hydration.
- Pat your face dry and apply a moisturizer.
The double-oil cleansing method is said to work best for oily and acne-prone skin. Those with sensitive skin must also go for the double-oil cleansing method. The cleanser ensures that you do not have to worry about the residual oil that may clog your pores.
Now that you understand the process of the oil cleansing method, check out how often you should do it.
Oil Cleansing Frequency
The answer is pretty simple. Depending on your skin type, you can do oil cleansing daily but not more than once a day. On the other hand, you can use it as a special skin treatment to pamper your skin sporadically and balance its natural oils.
Further, it bears mentioning here that you should do it before bedtime as it will hydrate your skin and make it less prone to collecting dirt.
Let us now look at the different oil cleansers you should use depending on your skin conditions!
Oil Cleansers Based On Skin Conditions
The final result of the oil cleansing method heavily depends on your skin type, skin condition, and the severity of the skin condition. As discussed earlier, the choice of oil cleanser also depends on these factors. When applied to the skin, plant oils can generally offer the following benefits (1):
- Improving or maintaining the skin barrier
- Anti-inflammatory action
- Antioxidant action
- Wound healing
- Antimicrobial activities
- Anticancer properties
With the above in mind, let us review the oil cleansers that are suitable for treating certain skin conditions.
1. Oil Cleansing Method For Acne
Even though it may sound counterintuitive, some beauticians may suggest the oil cleansing method for acne treatment. And, they are not wrong. An observational study conducted in 2012 discovered that clay jojoba oil masks can treat inflammatory and non-inflammatory acne (2). It also has a positive effect on clogged pores. Thus, cleansing with jojoba oil may help treat acne.
To gain the purported benefits of the oil cleansing method for acne-prone skin, you may try out any (or a combination) of the following oils:
- Jojoba oil
- Sunflower oil
- Safflower oil
- Hemp seed oil
However, stay away from any comedogenic oils, like coconut oil or soybean oil, as they can clog your pores and worsen your acne. Keep the same in mind while purchasing a store-bought oil cleanser for treating your acne-prone skin.
You can add a few drops of tea tree or neem oil to the base oil to clear out your skin faster. Some experts suggest the dilution of evening primrose oil for hormonal acne.
2. Oil Cleansing Method For Oily Skin
For oily skin, you can directly apply jojoba oil, grapeseed oil, or sweet almond oil as they will suit your skin type.
For a luxurious experience, try the following combination:
- 3 teaspoons of castor oil
- 5 teaspoons of grapeseed, hemp seed, or safflower oil
- 2 teaspoons of argan or tamanu oil
- Few drops of tea tree, lavender, or neroli essential oil.
3. Oil Cleansing Method For Dry Skin
If you are dealing with skin dryness, hydrating oils can come to your rescue (3). Your skin can drink up oils like avocado oil, jojoba oil, and sweet almond oil to give you moisturized, radiant skin. A study conducted in South Korea established the potency of cleansing oils for countering skin dryness and aging (4).
To get successful oil cleansing results on dry skin, try the following blend:
- 8 teaspoons of avocado, sweet almond, rice bran, sunflower, or apricot kernel oil
- 2 teaspoons of argan or jojoba oil
- 1 teaspoon of castor oil (optional)
Combine the above ingredients to get your fix! You can even follow the above recipe if you have combination skin.
4. Oil Cleansing Method For Rosacea
Those planning to try the oil cleansing method for rosacea can create a blend by combining the following ingredients (5):
- 1 tablespoon of jojoba oil
- 1 tablespoon of rosehip seed oil
- 8 drops of helichrysum essential oil
- 4 drops of rose otto essential oil
- 400 IU of vitamin E (optional)
Note: Consult your dermatologist before trying out the oil cleansing method for rosacea.
Read on to find out what you can expect post an oil cleansing treatment.
Oil Cleansing Method: Before And After
The oil cleansing method is said to give you soft and supple skin that is free from dirt, debris, dead skin cells, and makeup.
Unfortunately, the oil cleansing method has not undergone extensive research by the scientific community to capture the results in depth through facts, data, and figures. As of now, most “success stories” are purely anecdotal, and the results may vary from one person to another.
If you fail to see the results after a 3-4 of oil cleanses, try altering the oil cleanser recipe. If that also fails to deliver results, you can discontinue the technique entirely.
Below you can check out the before and after photos taken after just one session of oil cleansing.
As you can see, the results are very subtle. Therefore, you may need to follow this method for a good few weeks to see any significant results.
In the following segment, we will discuss the pros and cons of the oil cleansing method.
Oil Cleansing: Pros And Cons
Before trying out this skin care technique, you may want to weigh the pros and cons. Check them out below:
- It makes use of safe and natural ingredients.
- You do not have to buy a string of skin care products as you can prepare oil cleansers at home.
- It is quick, simple, and affordable.
- The treatment takes a while to show results.
- It may cause your skin to break out in the initial stages.
- It has not been studied extensively and may not even prove to be effective for your skin type or condition.
- It can be messy.
The oil cleansing method breaks away from the common notion that “cleaning” requires lathering up with soap. It uses plant oils to dissolve the oil and grime on your face and cleanse. Do keep in mind that there is no scientific research to prove the effectiveness of this method. You can experiment with different natural oils that suit your skin type and condition and try it out for a few weeks to see how it suits you.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
Can you apply other skin care products after the oil face cleansing method?
You can apply moisturizer after the oil cleansing method. But, make sure you tone and exfoliate your face before oil cleansing.
Can I prepare a large batch of oil cleanser and store it? If yes, then how do I do that?
It is recommended that you prepare your blend right before the oil cleansing process. However, you can also add all the oils to a colored, airtight glass container and stir everything together. Shake the blend before every use.
- 8 Effective Homemade Cleansers For Oily Skin
- 25 Best Cleansing Oils Of 2020 – Reviews And Buying Guide
- 12 Best Oil Cleansers For Oily Skin Made Just for You!
- The 10 Best Korean Oil Cleansers Of 2020 – Reviews & Buying Guide
Latest posts by Arshiya Syeda (see all)
- 40 Short Hairstyles For Black Women - April 1, 2021
- Difference Between Highlights And Lowlights - March 31, 2021
- Can You Use Sulfur To Treat Acne? - March 30, 2021
- 36 Thank You Messages For Your Husband - March 25, 2021
- Top 10 Caramel Shade Hair Colors Available In India – 2021 - March 25, 2021