There is always a debate, always an argument – which oil is heart friendly? Which oil is better for your skin? Which oil makes the hair shinier–olive oil or coconut oil? We are not the ones to take sides! So, this article attempts at an honest comparison of the healthy oils, their nutrient quotient, and their pros and cons.
In This Article
Coconut Oil vs Olive Oil – Nutritional Information:
Let us first compare the nutrient quotient of both olive oil and coconut oil:
|1 Tbsp. Extra Virgin Olive Oil||1 Tbsp. Coconut Oil|
|Total fat (g)||14||14|
|Saturated fat (g)||1||12|
What Does The Chart Indicate?
Let’s have a look at the indications, which the above mentioned chart is providing:
- Going by calories, both olive oil and coconut oil offer same amount of calorie.
- The difference is the amount of saturated fat. 1 tbsp. of coconut oil contains 12g of saturated fat, whereas olive oil contains just 1g of it. The primary constituent of saturated fat is lauric acid. Other than that, there is no other difference.
- But, according to the American Heart Association, the daily intake of fat should be within 25 to 35% of the daily calorie intake. And not more than 7% of that should be saturated fat. So, your daily diet should also contain dairy products. Coconut oil provides more saturated fat than the requirement of the body.
- Olive oil contains more good fats. Monounsaturated fats present in olive oil have more benefits for the body. Oleic acid, one of the monounsaturated fatty oils, is helpful in lowering blood pressure, and preventing cardiovascular diseases.
- Olive oil also contains antioxidants. We all know the importance of antioxidants in warding off free radicals and protecting us against skin damage, cancer and many bother diseases.
Health wise, olive oil look better on paper.
[ Read: How To Use Coconut Milk For Hair Growth ]
Let’s Compare The Benefits Of Coconut Oil vs Olive Oil!
Let’s now compare the benefits of olive oil vs coconut oil for skin and health to get a clear idea:
Coconut Oil Benefits:
Let’s first look at the benefits of coconut oil:
- Coconut oil is beneficial in soothing dry skin. The skin on the face, hand, and feet can get benefits from the moisturizing effects of coconut oil.
- It is also used as a replacement for shaving cream.
- Coconut oil also serves as deep conditioner for hair. It is one of the nice ways to moisturize dry and dull hair.
- Coconut oil can also be used as a makeup remover.
[ Read: Benefits Of Coconut For Hair ]
Olive Oil Benefits:
Let’s now read on to know the benefits of olive oil:
- Olive oil, on the other hand, is more moisturizing than coconut oil. When coconut oil fails, olive oil comes to the picture.
- Thick and curly hair gets benefits from olive oil than coconut oil when it comes to moisturizing.
- For frizzy hair, olive oil is a good after wash serum.
- It also can be used as an alternative to shaving cream.
- Olive oil helps cure diaper rashes, little cuts and wounds too.
We must keep in mind that at the end of the day, both the oils are processed. Both the oils are loaded with calorie. When the oil claims to be ‘heart healthy’, remember that it means to prevent the heart diseases to some extent. Also avoid oily food, if you are suffering from a disease. As of now, there is a fad of using both coconut oil and olive oil. Both the oils are regarded best in their own unique ways. But it is important to understand that research is still in progress to prove the claims. So, before using any oil in excess, talk to your doctor and choose the oil that best suits your health.
Hope you liked our post on coconut oil vs olive oil. Which oil rules your kitchen? Why this particular oil? What keeps you away from using coconut and olive oil? Share your views with us in the comments section below.
- 10 Amazing Health Benefits Of Frankincense Oil
- Krill Oil Vs. Fish Oil – Which Is Better?
- Olive Oil Vs Canola Oil – Which Is Better?
- Sunflower Oil Vs. Olive Oil – Which Is Better?
- Parachute Coconut Oil Review And Benefits