There is something your eyes cannot see, but your mind can sense. Pursuing it will give you the highest knowledge, bliss, and realization. It will keep you from running away, and see things as they are. Sounds great, right? You can experience it through a technique called Om meditation. Read on to know what it is all about.
Significance Of Om
Om is the first sound that emerged from the vibrations of the cosmic energy that created the universe. It is the representation of the creator. Om is self-begotten, i.e., it is on its own and doesn’t need another syllable to make its sound. Chanting Om will give you a sense of the source of the universe, and when chanted right, Om’s sound reverberates through your body, filling it with energy and tranquility.
Om exists in everything – the words we speak, the things we use, and in ourselves. The daily chanting of Om will give peace to your mind, body, and soul. The yogis of ancient India knew the inherent power of the Om mantra and chanted it to connect to their soul. They believed that it is present and active within all of us and will reveal itself only through Om meditation.
To know more, click here: Meaning and Science Behind The Symbol Om
Now, let’s learn how to do Om meditation.
Om Meditation And Its Procedure
Meditation that involves the chanting of ‘Om’ or ‘Aum’ is called Om meditation. In Om meditation, the two great spiritual possessions that belong to us – breath and sound – are combined to form a comprehensive meditation technique. Let’s check how to do it.
The Om Meditation Approach
1. Sitting Right
Sit either in the Lotus Pose or Vajrasana. If you cannot sit down, sit on a chair. Make sure your back is erect, and you feel relaxed and comfortable in your sitting position. Keep your hands either on your knees or your thighs. You can also keep them in your lap, with one hand resting on the other. Clear your head and sit peacefully.
2. Eye Placement
Gently close the eyes or glance downward.
3. Breathing Pattern
Close your mouth and breathe naturally. Make sure the air goes in and out only through your nose. Keep your jaw muscles relaxed and your upper and lower teeth slightly parted instead of clenching them together or touching one another. Observe your breath while it goes in and out. Don’t force it or add any frills to it. Let it be.
4. Om Chanting
While you inhale and exhale, chant ‘Om.’ Fit the chant to your breath duration rather than breathing to the chant. Break down the ‘Om’ syllable to ‘A-A-U-U-M’, followed by silence and back again. Say the first two syllables with your mouth opened widely and the next two by pursing your lips together. Place the tip of your tongue on the roof of your mouth to pronounce the last two syllables. Then, get engrossed in the silence that ensues.
5. Combining All
Continue the Om chanting, keeping it in sync with your breath. Naturally, the cycle of chanting will fall into place and relax your mind. You can also chant ‘Om’ mentally. Listen to the internal vibrations created in your body while chanting ‘Om’. Slowly and gradually, your being will sink into its waves.
6. Overall Effect
As you gradually go deeper into the meditation, the Om vibrations become softer and subtle, almost like a whisper. Slowly, it will become silent, and you realize that Om has always been present and active in your body. You will notice that even your breath slows down and becomes light.
In Om meditation, you do not concentrate on any particular part of your body. Your mind does waver around, but make sure it comes back to focus through chanting. Make a note of all the thoughts and sensations that arise while you meditate and deal with them in a calm and detached manner without deviating from your breath and chanting.
Benefits Of Om Meditation
- Om meditation will give you peace, calm, tranquility, and serenity
- It brings you closer to your true nature and self
- It will make you open-minded and treat others without any prejudice
- Om meditation is healing and will keep you healthy
- It increases your creativity and ingenuity
- Your spinal cord improves
- It detoxifies your body by getting rid of the toxins, keeping you young and fresh
- Chanting Om purifies your ambiance and makes it a positive space
- It improves your concentration
- The Om vibrations open up your sinus and clear it
- Om meditation will keep your heart healthy
- You will have better control over your feelings and emotions and look at various scenarios in a more clear and understanding manner.
- Om meditation stimulates your metabolism, leading to weight loss
- It cleanses your face and imparts a glow to it
- Om meditation improves your mind and balances hormonal secretions
Now, let’s look at some common queries regarding Om meditation.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Is Om religious?
Om is not religious, but it appears as a traditional symbol and holy sound in some religions like Hinduism, Buddhism, Jainism, and Sikhism.
Do we have to be vegetarian to practice Om meditation?
The yoga philosophy follows the ahimsa principle, but it is entirely the choice of the practitioner whether to have animal products or not.
How often can we do Om meditation?
Every day, if possible, and in the morning, preferably. Start off with 2-3 times a week, and slowly extend it to all days of the week.
What do I need to do Om meditation?
All you need is yourself and a mat. With a clear and calm mind, you are good to do Om meditation.
What do I wear while doing Om meditation?
Wear comfortable clothing that will not distract you from meditation.
In this fast-paced world, pause for a moment, and dig deep to find out what is essential and genuine. Meditate the om-centric way and realize and revel in the secrets of the universe.
- 6 Amazing Benefits Of Soham Meditation For Leading A Healthy Life
- 11 Ancient Mantras That Will Transform Your Life
- The Meaning Of The OM Symbol – How To Use It?
- Top 10 Morning Meditation Mantras
Latest posts by Ramya Achanta (see all)
- Top 10 Scalp Massage Brushes – 2019 - June 11, 2018
- How To Do A Face Clean Up At Home – In 6 Simple Steps - April 6, 2018
- How To Grow Thick Hair – 10 Easy Tips - April 5, 2018
- How To Balance The pH Level Of Your Hair For A Healthy Look? - February 28, 2018
- What Is The Difference Between Dandruff And Dry Scalp? - February 28, 2018