Pineapple Diet For Weight Loss: Benefits And How Does It Work
There are more ways to use this tropical fruit than previously thought.
The benefits of the pineapple diet extend beyond the pleasure of eating this delicious summer fruit. This meal plan can be suitable for you if you need to shed some pounds for an event in less than a week.
Sten Hegler, a Danish psychologist, developed this mono-diet in 1970. The classic pineapple diet involved eating nothing but pineapple for two days to shed 4-5 pounds. If you find that unappealing, we have got your back. This article discusses the reinvented pineapple diet below.
The diet calls for eating 2 kilos of pineapple plus other healthy foods daily for five days. Alleged benefits include loss of water weight, fat mobilization, and great detoxification. Scroll down to learn more about the pineapple diet.
Note: This diet is not for long-term weight loss. Consult a doctor before starting the diet.
In This Article
How The Pineapple Diet Aids Weight Loss
- Pineapple contains bromelain, a proteolytic enzymei XAlso called peptidases; capable of hydrolyzing or breaking down the peptide bonds in proteins involved in swelling or pain. that helps reduce inflammation (1). Inflammation causes weight gain by rendering the weight control hormone leptin less effective (2).
- Pineapple improves digestion. The various enzymes and phytonutrientsi XNatural chemical compounds found in plants that have potent antioxidant properties to fight cardiovascular diseases and cancer. present in pineapple ensure proper digestion (3). This, in turn, helps shed weight and reduces bloating.
- Two kilos of pineapple suppresses appetite. Pineapple contains water, dietary fiber, and bromelain (4). They aid nutrient absorption and slow down bowel movement, therefore suppressing appetite (5).
- Pineapples are low in calories and nutritious. Pineapples are rich in vitamins, minerals, dietary fiber, and phytonutrients. One cup of pineapple contains 82 calories (4). As pineapples are juicy and filling, you don’t feel hungry for a long time.
- Pineapple helps you stay active and energetic as it is rich in vitamin B1 (4). Vitamin B1 is a cofactor for the enzymatic reaction required for energy production (6). When you are active, your body tends to accumulate fewer toxins, and your metabolism keeps firing. This, in turn, may lead to weight loss.
- Pineapple juice decreases fat synthesis and increases lipolysis. In a study, high-fat diet fed rats showed improved lipolysis (fat breakdown) and decreased lipogenesis (fat synthesis) (7).
Now, let’s delve deep into the 5-day diet plan. You can do this diet for 3 days or 5 days, depending on your weight loss goal.
5-Day Pineapple Diet – Meal Plan For Weight Loss
|Meal||What To Eat|
|Early Morning (7:45 a.m)||1 cup warm water with honey and apple cider vinegar|
|Breakfast (8:30 a.m)||1 cup pineapple + oatmeal|
|Lunch (12:00 – 12:30 p.m)||Grilled tuna + 1 cup pineapple|
|Post Lunch (4:00 p.m)||1 cup fresh pineapple juice|
|Dinner (7:00 p.m)||Tomato+asparagus+pineapple salad with baked chicken breast|
Why This Works
Starting your day with apple cider vinegar and honey will detox your body and increase the metabolic rate. Pineapple and oatmeal is a delicious combination. Oatmeal is rich in dietary fiber, which will prevent fat absorption (8). Tuna is a great source of lean protein and healthy fats (9). A light yet substantial dinner rich in vitamins, minerals, fiber, and protein will help you sleep better at night.
- Apple cider vinegar – Lemon
- Oatmeal – Multigrain bread with peanut butter
- Tuna – Mackerel or grilled tofu
- Tomato – Spinach
- Asparagus – French beans
- Chicken breast – Lean cuts of turkey or grilled mushroom
How You Will Feel By The End Of Day 1
The first day will be tough, especially if you have the habit of binge-eating. However, since this diet chart includes healthy proteins and fats, you will feel more motivated to stick to the plan.
|Meal||What To Eat|
|Early Morning (7:45 a.m)||1 cup fenugreek soaked water|
|Breakfast (8:30 a.m)||2 soaked almonds + 1 cup pineapple + 2 scrambled eggs|
|Lunch (12:00 – 12:30 p.m)||Pineapple and lemon chicken salad|
|Post Lunch (4:00 p.m)||Fresh pineapple and watermelon juice with lemon juice and mint leaves|
|Dinner (7:00 p.m)||Sauteed veggies with grilled salmon + 1 cup pineapple|
Why This Works
Overnight soaked fenugreek water helps to increase metabolic rate (10). Almonds are a great source of healthy fats, while eggs are rich in proteins (11), (12). Chicken is a great source of protein. The pineapple and lemon chicken salad is flavorful and tastes. Fresh pineapple and watermelon juice hydrates the body and flushes out toxins. Veggies and salmon are best for a nutritious light dinner.
- Fenugreek seeds – Fennel seeds
- Almonds – Walnuts
- Scrambled eggs – Soy milk or fat-free milk
- Chicken – Mushroom or turkey
- Watermelon – Pomegranate
- Lemon – Apple cider vinegar
- Mint leaves – Coriander leaves
- Sautéed veggies – Grilled veggies
- Salmon – Tuna or mackerel
How You Will Feel By The End Of Day 2
By the end of Day 2, you will start feeling good about yourself. You will sleep better, and a good breakfast in the morning will keep you active throughout the day. You will look forward to Day 3.
|Meal||What To Eat|
|Early Morning (7:45 a.m)||Green tea with a dash of lime juice|
|Breakfast (8:30 a.m)||1 cup fresh pineapple juice + mushroom omelet|
|Lunch (12:00 – 12:30 p.m)||Tuna lettuce wrap + 1 cup pineapple|
Sprout salad + 1 cup pineapple
|Post Lunch (4:00 p.m)||½ cup pineapple tossed with black pepper and lemon juice|
|Dinner (7:00 p.m)||Stir fried veggies and chicken/mushroom + 1 cup pineapple juice|
Why This Works
Green tea is loaded with antioxidants and helps to flush out the toxins (13). Lime and lemon juice are great sources of vitamin C and therefore help to boost the immune system (14). The mushroom omelet is an excellent source of protein. Tuna lettuce wrap is light and rich in healthy fats and lean protein. Sprouts contain a good amount of protein. Black pepper contains piperine that can help in weight loss (15). Veggies contain complex carbs, fiber, vitamins, and minerals that may improve digestion, aid weight loss, and fight many ailments (16).
- Green tea – Black coffee
- Lime/lemon juice – Apple cider vinegar
- Mushroom – Tofu
- Eggs – Fat-free milk
- Tuna – Sardine
- Lettuce – Chinese cabbage
- Sprout salad – Bengal gram salad
- Black pepper – Pinch of cayenne pepper
- Chicken – Salmon or turkey
How You Will Feel By The End Of Day 3
By the end of Day 3, your weight loss will be visible. You will lose a lot of water weight and look slimmer. You can stop the pineapple diet here and go back to your regular diet. But, if you want to mobilize the fat, move on to Day 4.
|Meal||What To Eat|
|Early Morning (7:45 a.m)||1 cup warm water with honey and 1 lime juice|
|Breakfast (8:30 a.m)||1 cup pineapple juice + quinoa|
|Lunch (12:00 – 12:30 p.m)||Pineapple+strawberry+kiwi with 1 tablespoon sour cream and cinnamon powder|
|Post Lunch (4:00 p.m)||1 cup buttermilk|
|Dinner (7:00 p.m)||Tuna salad + 1 cup pineapple|
Why This Works
Honey and lime juice with warm water helps to cut fat. Quinoa is rich in vitamins, minerals, and dietary fiber (17). It will help you jumpstart your day. A fruit salad lunch will help you get all the vital nutrients. Cinnamon is not only a weight loss agent but lends flavor too (18). Buttermilk is an excellent source of calcium and improves digestion (19). Tuna is loaded with lean protein and will help to rebuild your muscles.
- Honey – Maple syrup
- Lime juice – Apple cider vinegar
- Quinoa – Oats
- Strawberry – Blueberry
- Kiwi – Watermelon
- Sour cream – Fat-free yogurt
- Cinnamon – Nutmeg
- Buttermilk – Coconut water
- Tuna – Tofu or chicken
How You Will Feel By The End Of Day 4
Since you will eat pineapple only three times a day, you will feel less restrained. Also, you will start to feel light and become more active. Though your metabolism will pick up, you will not feel the urge to binge because you have provided your body with all the necessary nutrients.
|Meal||What To Eat|
|Early Morning (7:45 a.m)||Cinnamon and ginger tea|
|Breakfast (8:30 a.m)||1 boiled egg + 1 cup of pineapple juice + 1 wheat pancake with maple syrup + 2 almonds|
|Lunch (12:00 – 12:30 p.m)||Grilled mackerel with asparagus + 1 cup pineapple|
|Post Lunch (4:00 p.m)||½ cup fat-free yogurt|
|Dinner (7:00 p.m)||Roasted chicken breast with spinach and tomato + 1 cup pineapple|
Why This Works
Cinnamon and ginger both help to lose weight and improve digestion (20), (21). Eggs are a great source of protein, almonds contain healthy fats, and wheat pancakes are high in dietary fiber (12), (11). A light lunch with grilled mackerel will help you get your next dose of lean protein and healthy fats. Yogurt is loaded with beneficial gut bacteria that ensures proper digestion. A delicious yet healthy roasted chicken with spinach and tomato will satiate your taste buds and aid weight loss.
- Cinnamon – Clove
- Ginger – Green tea
- Egg – Fat- free milk or soy milk
- Wheat pancake – Spinach smoothie
- Maple syrup – Honey
- Almonds – Macadamia nuts
- Mackerel – Tuna or tofu
- Asparagus – Spinach or French beans
- Fat-free yogurt – 1 apple
- Chicken – Ground turkey or salmon
- Spinach – Swiss chard
- Tomato – Avocado
How You Will Feel By The End Of Day 5
You will be surprised to see a slimmer and toned body by the end of Day 5. You will also feel a change within as you will stop experiencing indigestion, gastritisi XInflammation of the lining of the stomach due to infection or regular usage of painkillers, which leads to abdominal pain and nausea. , joint pain, and frequent headaches. You will sleep better and feel great in the morning when you wake up.
All throughout the diet days, keep yourself hydrated. This will help maintain balanced pH levels in the body and prevent acidity.
Exercises For Pineapple Diet
Though eating healthy is a critical factor when it comes to losing weight, you cannot completely ignore working out. You need to expend the energy that you are consuming. The best way to do it is to include different types of exercises in your routine. Here is a workout routine you can follow:
- Neck rotations – 1 set of 10 reps (clockwise and anti-clockwise)
- Shoulder rotations – 1 set of 10 reps (clockwise and anti-clockwise)
- Arm rotations – 1 set of 10 reps (clockwise and anti-clockwise)
- Wrist rotation – 1 set of 10 reps (clockwise and anti-clockwise)
- Ankle rotation – 1 set of 10 reps (clockwise and anti-clockwise)
- Side lunges – 2 sets of 5 reps
- Spot jogging – 5-10 minutes
- Jumping jacks – 2 sets of 20 reps
- Forward lunges – 2 sets of 10 reps
- Jumping lunges – 2 sets of 10 reps
- Squats – 1 set of 10 reps
- Crunches – 2 sets of 10 reps
- Push-ups – 2 sets of 5 reps
- Mountain climbers – 2 sets of 10 reps
If you feel hungry and tired right after exercising, you can drink pre-made and refrigerated pineapple juice. Here’s a simple recipe:
Easy Pineapple Juice Recipe
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- A pinch of Himalayan pink salt
How To Prepare
- Toss all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend well, pour in a glass, and refrigerate.
Benefits Of The Pineapple Diet
- Aids weight loss (7).
- Improves digestion (22).
- May boost immunity (3).
- May help reduce symptoms of osteo- and rheumatoid arthritis (23).
- Removes toxins and accelerates metabolic rate.
- Reduces inflammation (1)
Side Effects Of The Pineapple Diet
- Without proper hydration, you may experience acidity.
- May cause diarrhea.
- May cause swelling of the mouth and cheeks if you are allergic to pineapple.
Precaution: Stop this diet immediately if you feel extremely weak or get rashes around the corners of your mouth. You can go on the 8-hour diet or intermittent fasting for similar weight loss results.
Infographic: Amazing Benefits Of The Pineapple Diet
The pineapple diet features many nutritious ingredients that will help boost weight loss along with the main tropical delight in question. You can lose weight dramatically while boosting your overall health in different ways with this diet.
Discover what incredible health benefits this one-of-a-kind diet offers in the infographic below.
The benefits of the pineapple diet emerge from the fact that this summer fruit contains enzymes that improve digestion, reduce inflammation, increase fat breakdown, and aid in losing water weight. It can be consumed with a range of other healthy foods and drinks like chicken, salmon, salads, mushrooms, almonds, and detox drinks. It is a short-term diet (typically for five days), and one must consult their doctor before embracing this dietary strategy. Complement this diet with an effective workout plan to shed some pounds quickly. However, eating pineapple may cause dehydration, diarrhea, and mouth swelling (in case of an allergic reaction).
Frequently Asked Questions
What does pineapple do for a woman?
Olesya Wilson, Certified Nutritionist, says,“ Pineapple is a delicious fruit that contains many beneficial antioxidants, vitamins, and minerals. It also contains enzymes like bromelain, which has been associated with slowed progression of breast cancer.”
Will pineapple affect periods?
According to Wilson, “Bromelain can improve blood flow and increase the time it takes for bleeding to clot. There is no evidence it will change your period, but it might exaggerate existing issues with your cycle and make them more noticeable.”
What should you not eat after eating pineapple?
Olesya Wilson says,“ There are some rumors that milk or dairy products will interact poorly with pineapple. I would always recommend eating fresh fruits and vegetables by themselves for the best absorption by your body. If you have an unpleasant experience eating pineapple, look for alternatives.”
Does pineapple burn belly fat?
The enzyme bromelain found in pineapple helps improve metabolism, which, in turn, burns fat. It also targets your belly fat. However, to reduce belly fat, follow this diet and exercise routine.
What happens if I eat pineapple every day?
If you love pineapple and want to eat it regularly, you can! You will benefit from its nutritional profile. However, if you experience allergic reactions or indigestion, it is best not to consume pineapple every day or avoid it completely.
Is pineapple a keto?
No, pineapple is not keto-friendly.
Is it bad to eat more than one pineapple a day?
It is okay to eat more than one pineapple a day. However, you should be careful as it may cause tenderness in the mouth. Since pineapple is a citrus fruit, you may also experience heartburn if you have acid reflux (24).
Is it OK to eat pineapple at night?
Yes, it is okay to eat pineapple at night. Since pineapple contains melatonin that regulates the sleep cycle and improves circadian rhythm, it may help you fall asleep faster and sleep better (25).
Does drinking pineapple and cucumber juice help you lose weight?
Yes, pineapple cucumber juice, along with lemon and ginger, is a great detox drink that you can consume every day before breakfast. It may help boost your metabolism and aid in weight loss.
- With low calories and high levels of vitamins, minerals, water, and dietary fiber, pineapples are a super fruit
- The pineapple diet is a 5-day diet plan built around consuming plenty of pineapple along with some low-calorie foods.
- For long-term best results, pair this diet with regular exercise.
- Pineapples contain bromelain, which helps tackle inflammation, and it also contains enzymes that are very effective in the digestion process.
- Bromelain, the enzyme complex of pineapple (Ananas comosus) and its clinical application. An update, Journal of Ethnopharmacology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Leptin and Inflammation, Current Immunology Reviews, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Potential role of bromelain in clinical and therapeutic applications, Biomedical Reports, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Pineapple, raw, all varieties, USDA.
- Dietary fibre and satiety, Nutrition Bulletin, Wiley Online Library.
- Vitamin B1 (Thiamine), StatPearls, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Physiological and molecular study on the anti-obesity effects of pineapple (Ananas comosus) juice in male Wistar rat, Food science and biotechnology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Dietary fiber and satiety: the effects of oats on satiety, Nutrition Reviews, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Fish, tuna, fresh, yellowfin, raw, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- Fenugreek supplementation during high-fat feeding improves specific markers of metabolic health, Scientific Reports, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Almonds, The Nutrition Source, Harvard T.H.Chan School of Public Health.
- Egg and Egg-Derived Foods: Effects on Human Health and Use as Functional Foods, Nutrients, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Antioxidant effects of green tea, Molecular Nutrition & Food Research, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Vitamin C, Office of Dietary Supplements, National Institutes of Health.
- Effect of piperine in the regulation of obesity-induced dyslipidemia in high-fat diet rats, Indian Journal of Pharmacology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Health Benefits of Fruits and Vegetables, Advances in Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Quinoa: Nutritional, functional, and antinutritional aspects. Critical Reviews in Food Science & Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Cinnamon supplementation positively affects obesity: A systematic review and dose-response meta-analysis of randomized controlled trials. Clinical Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Exploring how a traditional diluted yoghurt drink may mitigate heat strain during medium-intensity intermittent work: a multidisciplinary study of occupational heat strain, Industrial Health, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Cinnamon: A Multifaceted Medicinal Plant, Evidence-based Complementary and Alternative Medicine, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- The Amazing and Mighty Ginger, Herbal Medicine: Biomolecular and Clinical Aspects. 2nd edition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- The role of enzyme supplementation in digestive disorders. Alternative Medicine Review, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Bromelain reduces mild acute knee pain and improves well-being in a dose-dependent fashion in an open study of otherwise healthy adults. Phytomedicine, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Diagnosis of Gastroesophageal Reflux Disease Using Real-time Magnetic Resonance Imaging
- Melatonin in Medicinal and Food Plants: Occurrence, Bioavailability, and Health Potential for Humans