If you are wondering how you can manage your sugar cravings and at the same time lose weight, we have got a solution for you. You may try pineapple for weight loss. Yes, you heard it right!
Adding a few slices of this fruit to your diet can go a long way in helping you lose weight, given its rich nutrient profile and the fewer calories it provides.
This article discusses how pineapple helps with weight loss, whether it helps reduce belly fat, and its overall health benefits. Take a look!
Caution: This fruit may trigger allergic reactions in some individuals. In that case, consult your doctor immediately.
In This Article
How Pineapple Helps In Weight Loss
1. Low In Calories
Pineapple is low in calories. One slice (84 g) of pineapple has only 42 calories, which makes this fruit perfect for weight loss.
This juicy and refreshing fruit is loaded with water (1 slice contains 72 g of water), which makes it quite filling and great for curb hunger pangs (1).
2. Low In Carbohydrates
Instead of indulging in refined carbs, it is better to grab a bowl of juicy pineapple slices to fulfil your sugar craving.
Studies have shown that low-carbohydrate foods, along with lifestyle management, help in losing weight (2).
3. Contains Proteolytic Enzymes
Bromelain is a proteolytic enzyme, i.e., an enzyme that helps break down protein molecules. It is found in pineapple and has anti-inflammatory properties (3).
4. May Help In Digestion
The bromelain in pineapple acts as a digestive aid (5). It breaks down protein molecules to aid digestion and nutrient absorption. Proper digestion helps reduce bloating and shed some weight.
5. Good Source Of Fibre
6. Curbs Appetite
If you feel the urge to munch on a snack, cut up a pineapple to fill your stomach as it is rich in fiber, juicy, and loaded with water. This will keep your stomach busy for a while.
Fruits rich in fiber help curb appetite, delay gastric emptying and provide satiety (6). This, in turn, helps you cut down on unnecessary calorie intake and aids weight loss.
7. Powerhouse Of Manganese
Pineapple is rich in manganese (7).
A study conducted in China found that dietary intake of manganese is inversely proportional to abdominal fat and metabolic syndrome (8). So, enjoy pineapple juice or chunks of pineapple as your mid-morning drink or snack to lose weight.
Now, let’s answer the question that is on everyone’s mind.
Does Pineapple Burn Belly Fat?
The enzyme bromelain found in pineapple has lipolytic and proteolytic effects, which may help promote fat burning and weight loss (4). Bromelain also increases the rate at which food passes through the stomach and intestines, making it easier to digest. It also targets your belly area when combined with diet, lifestyle changes, and exercise routines.
So, let’s check out how you can consume pineapple to aid weight loss.
How To Consume Pineapple For Weight Loss
1. Pineapple Juice
Serves: 2, Preparation Time: 5 minutes
- 1 cup chopped pineapple
- Juice of half a lime
- 1 tablespoon organic honey
- A pinch of Himalayan pink salt
How To Prepare
- Toss all the ingredients into a blender.
- Blend well, pour in a glass, and refrigerate.
2. Pineapple And Cucumber Juice
Serves: 3-4 cups, Preparation Time: 10 minutes
- 2 medium-sized cucumbers
- ½ cup chopped pineapple
- 5 celery sticks
- 1-inch fresh, grated ginger
- A pinch of black salt
How To Prepare
- Add all the ingredients in the juicer and blend well.
- Add water to adjust the consistency and sprinkle some salt for taste.
- Drink chilled.
3. Pineapple Iced Tea
Serves: 6, Preparation Time: 10 minutes, Cooking Time: 5 minutes, Total Time: 15 minutes
- 4 cups of water
- 1 cup freshly prepared pineapple juice
- 7 tea bags
- ⅓ cup lemon juice
How To Prepare
- Pour the water in a large saucepan and boil it for 2-3 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the flame and dip the tea bags in it.
- Let the tea steep for at least 5-7 minutes.
- Add the pineapple juice to the tea and stir well.
- Refrigerate the decoction to enjoy chilled pineapple tea.
4. Pineapple Smoothie
Serves: 2, Preparation Time: 5 minutes, Cooking Time: 1 minute, Total Time: 6 minutes
- 1 ½ cup fresh pineapple juice
- 1 medium-sized banana
- 1 ½ cups pineapple chunks
- ¾ cup Greek yogurt
How To Prepare
- Put all the ingredients in a blender.
- Blend till you achieve a smooth consistency. Add water to adjust the consistency.
- Pour the smoothie into glasses and garnish with thinly sliced pineapple wedges.
Chaz, a Youtube vlogger, shares her recipe of detox pineapple juice (using pineapple, cucumber, and ginger) and pineapple tea and explains how it helped her lose weight. She says, ” You can drink one in the morning if you’re just trying to be healthy and detox your body. If you’re really looking for weight loss, then I suggest drinking this in the morning and at night after dinner (i)”.
Pineapple offers many health benefits besides weight loss. Check them out in the next section.
Other Health Benefits Of Pineapple
- The bromelain in pineapple not only aids digestion but also possesses anti-inflammatory properties (9). Thus, it may provide relief from osteoarthritis (10).
- Nutrients like bromelain and vitamin C present in pineapples help boost immunity and improve metabolism (11), (12).
- The rich antioxidant profile of pineapple can help reduce oxidative stress in the body (13).
- Bromelain may help treat asthma (14).
- Bromelain also helps treat diarrhea and constipation, aids digestion, regulates the functioning of the small intestine and kidneys, and normalizes the colonic flora (15).
- The malic acid in pineapple improves oral health, boosts immunity, and smoothens your skin (15).
- Manganese, an essential mineral in pineapple, improves bone health (15).
Infographic: Top 7 Ways Pineapple Helps In Weight Loss
For the ones with a strong sweet tooth and who simply can’t stay away from desserts, we know how hard weight loss can be. But here’s some good news to brighten your day! Pineapple is one fruit you can relish without any guilt and still reach your fitness goals. If you aren’t entirely convinced yet, check out the infographic below to learn how it can facilitate weight loss.
The benefits of pineapple for weight loss are primarily due to its low calorie and anti-inflammatory properties. Rich in dietary fiber and sweet to taste, a few slices of pineapple make you feel full and satiated with healthy nutrition. A good source of manganese, lipolytic, and proteolytic enzymes, pineapple helps burn fat and fight obesity and other signs of metabolic syndrome as well. So, now you have the answer to the question “is pineapple good for weight loss?”. Once you are aware that you are not allergic to pineapple, you can enjoy this nutritious fruit in smoothies, juice, tea, cocktail, or salads amidst various other preparations.
Frequently Asked Questions
Does pineapple make you fat?
Pineapple is a low-calorie and high-water content fruit. So, eating pineapple does not make you fat.
Does boiled pineapple skin aid weight loss?
There is no scientific evidence that pineapple skin helps in weight loss. Relish a cup of juicy pineapple slices as a snack along with other healthy approaches to lose weight.
Is pineapple fattening at night?
Pineapple is rich in fructose. Fruits that are rich in these simple carbs should not be eaten at night as they may make your blood glucose levels spike.
Is pineapple a keto-friendly food?
No, pineapple is not a keto-friendly fruit.
When should you eat pineapple to lose weight?
You can have this diet food as a snack between meals or before bedtime on a relatively empty stomach.
Can you lose weight by just eating pineapple?
The pineapple diet is designed on the premise of eating only pineapples for two days for weight loss. However, this is not a healthy or sustainable diet and should not be done without medical supervision.
How many calories are in 1 cup of fresh pineapple?
One cup of pineapple contains roughly 83 calories (16).
- Peppermint oil relieves abdominal pain, bloating, and discomfort.
- Ascorbic acid in lemons helps treat gastric issues and maintains overall pH balance.
- Excessive gas formation can be avoided if you eat slowly, exercise regularly, and stay hydrated.
- Asafoetida improves salivary gland activity and promotes the secretion of juices in gastrointestinal tracts.
Explore the potential of pineapple juice for weight loss without exercise or dieting. Check out this transformative video to unveil a 10-day home remedy to shed belly fat effectively. Watch it now!
Personal Experience Source
i. PINEAPPLE DETOX & WEIGHT LOSS JUICE RECIPE + BENEFITS | I LOST 30 LBS IN 3 WEEKS!!
- Nutritive value of pineapple, raw, all varieties, US Department of Agriculture, Agricultural Research Service.
- Overweight and diabetes prevention: is a low-carbohydrate-high-fat diet recommendable? European journal of nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Potential role of bromelain in clinical and therapeutic applications, Biomedical Reports, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Physiological and molecular study on the anti-obesity effects of pineapple (Ananas comosus) juice in male Wistar rat, Food science and biotechnology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Proteolytic activity and immunogenicity of oral bromelain within the gastrointestinal tract of mice, International immunopharmacology, US National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information.
- Dietary fibre and satiety, Nutrition Bulletin, Wiley Online Library.
- Manganese in pineapple juices, Elsevier, Science Direct.
- Dietary intake of manganese and the risk of the metabolic syndrome in a Chinese population, The British Journal of Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Bromelain: biochemistry, pharmacology and medical use, Cellular and Molecular Life Sciences, Springer Link.
- Bromelain as a Treatment for Osteoarthritis: a Review of Clinical Studies, Evidence-based complementary and alternative medicine, US National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information.
- . In vitro study on the immunological effect of bromelain and trypsin on mononuclear cells from humans, European journal of medical research, US National Library of Medicine, National Center for Biotechnology Information.
- Carr, Anitra C., and Silvia Maggini. “Vitamin C and immune function.” Nutrients 9.11 (2017): 1211.
- Physico-chemical properties, antioxidant activity and mineral contents of pineapple genotype grown in China, Molecules, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Bromelain, National Center for Complementary and Integrative Health, National Institutes of Health.
- Nutritional Value and medicinal benefits of Pineapple, International Journal of Nutrition and Food Sciences.
- Pineapple, raw, all varieties, Food Data Central, USDA.