Love is not always sexual, and some of us connect with people on a spiritual plane. If you have one such individual in your life, they are your platonic soulmate. Their absence can keep your spirits low, and you are at your absolute best when around them. This is the person you want to spend your time with, but do not have any sexual fascination for. Opening up to this person seems effortless, and the only thing that needs effort is to stop talking!
This relationship is a delight because your soulmate shares the same energy and feelings for you and makes you feel special. They help you glow and grow in love. Your platonic partner is not your boyfriend or your husband. You can even share this connection with your friends and siblings. Your platonic soulmate is your go-to person when you are in the mood for ranting or need some motivation. The attraction is natural, and you can be your wonder’s true self in their presence without worrying about being judged. Swipe up for more information.
In This Article
What Is A Platonic Soulmate?
To understand a platonic soulmate, think of the person you go to whenever something happens – happy, sad, excited, shocked, and everything. You can tell them anything, behave in any way you want, and discuss the weirdest topics that might disgust others. They almost feel like they are a ‘perfect fit’ for you. This is your platonic soulmate – someone you might not be romantically involved with but is an important part of your life.
A platonic partner can be called your ‘better half’, except that you both are not romantically involved. They understand you better than anyone else ever can, support you in your ups and downs, and are compatible with you in every aspect.
There can be more than one person in your life who is your soulmate. They are here for a reason, and that depends on what kind of soulmate they are to you. So, you need to understand the different types of platonic soulmates you meet in your life.
Types Of Platonic Soulmates
- Teacher Soulmate – No, we aren’t talking about your teacher here! Teacher soulmates help teach you a life lesson worth learning. They are also commonly known as karmic soulmates (again, not someone lashing your karma back at you). These soulmates spend their time helping and guiding you and ensuring your growth. Most of the time, after their job is done, they gradually move away from your life.
- Companion Soulmate – They are the soulmates we talk about in terms of relationships and love. Companion soulmates have the ability and compatibility to end up as your romantic partner. You can trust, share, love, and live with these people and still find yourself falling for them. Companion soulmates will be there with you for the long run, almost forever.
- Twin Flame Soulmate – Twin flame soulmate relates to you on a level you would think you were twins. The name is derived from Greek mythology where each person is said to have a twin in the world and whose souls are connected. These lovely individuals meet you as your best friends and close confidantes. They are with you to deal with the thick and the thin of life and will always be by your side, ready to help.
In her blog, Sarah Kasbeer reflects on her friendship with Erik during her sophomore year at the University of Illinois, highlighting the contrast between her platonic connection with Erik and the pressures of a relationship with a clean-shaven guy named Mike. She describes navigating boundaries in a friendship that defies definition and explores the complexities of genuine connections. (i)
How do you know if someone is your soulmate? Here are the signs to easily identify that person around you.
What Are The Signs Of A Platonic Soulmate?
- They can be your closest friend, confidant, or sibling.
- They are always there for you, and you for them.
- You have been asked if you are a couple by a lot of people.
- They tell you the truth as they see it, without sugar-coating it for your benefit.
- There is never a shortage of topics for you both to discuss.
- No topic is ever off limits – you can talk to them about anything and everything.
- The silence in between is never uncomfortable.
- You don’t have to pretend around them.
- You can tell them all your secrets.
- You feel accepted for all your thoughts, actions, curves, and edges.
- The same things annoy both of you.
- You don’t have to say ‘I told you so’; your expressions convey it all
- But you definitely might have said, “I love you.”
- There are no secrets between you both – you know almost everything about each other.
- They don’t drain your social battery but rather recharge it.
- You are ready to do anything for each other.
- There is no judgment whatsoever.
- You choose to spend time with them over other plans.
- They are there for you when you need them, and vice versa.
- You might have experienced all stages of a relationship with them.
- They always defend you and are the ones that tease you the most.
- They know your food preferences to the T, and vice versa.
- You might have a backup pact to live together if all else fails.
- They listen to you, not just hear you.
- You have a language that lets you communicate without words.
- You can predict each other’s next words or thoughts.
- Your sense of humor is the same, and you both have a lot of private jokes.
- You put up with each other’s weird obsessions and pet peeves.
- You miss them when they are not around and feel like something in you is missing.
- You just understand each other.
- Time and distance don’t matter between the two of you.
- They help you learn and grow into a better person each day.
- You both support and respect each other’s thoughts, actions, behaviors, and secrets.
We have learnt that platonic and romantic relationships are two distinct categories that define our interactions with others. Though these terms are commonly used to describe intimate connections, the nuances between them are not always clear. Let us explore the key differences between platonic and romantic relationships in the next section.
Platonic Vs. Romantic Relationships
Platonic and romantic relationships diverge in their essence and dynamics. Platonic connections, rooted in philosopher Plato’s teachings, emphasize intellectual camaraderie without the need for physical intimacy. These relationships prioritize mutual understanding, shared interests, and emotional support, fostering deep albeit chaste bonds. On the contrary, romantic relationships encompass emotional intimacy as well as physical affection. They transcend the intellectual realm. However, both are essential forms of human connection.
A platonic soulmate can barge into your life at any point in time without any warning. They will turn your life around for the better and rattle your world. Every disorderly thing around you will suddenly start making sense of their presence, and you will wonder how you survived without them for so long. Soon you will realize that your life will be devoid of all meaning without them, and the thought of them leaving your side is unbearable. Once you recognize your soulmate, make sure to appreciate and cherish them. Take every opportunity to express your love and gratitude for them.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can a platonic relationship become romantic?
Yes. On some occasions, there is a chance that platonic relationships develop romantically as time goes by and mindsets change.
Can a twin flame be platonic?
Yes. A deep connection does not necessarily involve love, and the intense affection felt between twin flames can be platonic in nature.
Is platonic love healthy?
Yes. Platonic relationships provide you with support, care, and motivation. The mere knowledge that you have someone to lean on boosts your overall mental health.
Is platonic marriage a thing?
Yes. As opposed to sexual or romantic love, a platonic marriage is the result of a spiritual connection or pure, innocent affection.
- Your platonic soulmate is the individual you turn to for support when you’re pleased, upset, thrilled, surprised, or just about anything else.
- You’re willing to go to any length for each other.
- You may have gone through all stages of your relationship with them.
- They could be someone you are not romantically involved with but who is a significant part of your life.
Plato’s profound wisdom on soulmates and ideal love is well known. Watch this video for an enlightening guide on ways to help you find your platonic soulmate and forge deeper connections and meaningful relationships. Click here to know more!