When it comes to transforming your dull and dry locks and improving hair health, nothing can beat the good ol’ hair oil. From coconut to argan oils, you have plenty of options to keep your hair healthy. However, there is one oil that deserves your attention right now – and that is pracaxi oil.
It is hailed as liquid gold and rich in vital nutrients that improve your hair health. This “gift from the Amazon” is traditionally used to treat snake and scorpion bites. However, due to its excellent moisturizing and nourishing properties, pracaxi oil has now turned into a go-to product for hair care. If you are curious to learn more about pracaxi oil, scroll down to know why it deserves a spot in your hair care routine.
Table Of Contents
What Is Pracaxi Oil?
Pracaxi oil is derived from the seeds of the Pentaclethra macroloba, a canopy tree native to South America. It is commonly referred to as a “miracle conditioner” and is ideal for thick and coarse hair. It contains 53% oleic acid, 26% linoleic acid, and 5% behenic acid and is an excellent emollient.
Pracaxi oil has anti-inflammatory, antifungal, and moisturizing properties and can prevent environmental damage (1). It is beneficial for the skin, hair, and scalp. This oil can repair damaged and dry hair, improve manageability, and stimulate hair growth by keeping the follicles healthy. Those who have used pracaxi oil for hair prefer this oil for several reasons. Find out in the next section.
What Are The Benefits Of Pracaxi Oil For Hair?
- Moisturizes The Scalp: Pracaxi oil is an excellent emollient and moisturizer and is considered a savior for dry and damaged hair. The fatty acids in the oil can hydrate all hair types, especially curly, dry, coarse, and low porosity hair. It may also keep the scalp healthy and prevent common issues like flakiness and itchy scalp.
- May Stimulate Hair Growth: Anecdotal evidence suggests that the fatty acids in pracaxi oil may stimulate the hair follicles and promote hair growth. Scalp massages with this hair oil can enhance blood circulation and nourish the hair follicles.
- Repairs Damaged Hair: Pracaxi oil is an emollient, meaning it can moisturize and soften the hair strands. Damaged hair lacks nourishment and moisture. The fatty acids in pracaxi oil can penetrate the hair and lock in moisture to repair, rejuvenate, and strengthen it.
- Smoothens The Hair: Pracaxi oil can smoothen the hair strands and add shine to them. It makes detangling and combing easier, minimizing knots and hair breakage. Applying a few drops of this hair oil regularly can improve hair elasticity.
- Protects Your Hair: The fatty acids in pracaxi oil protect the hair fibers from environmental stress and damage. This helps improve your overall hair health.
Pracaxi oil has a slew of benefits and is easy to use. Let’s find out how you can incorporate it into your hair care routine.
How To Use Pracaxi Oil
You can use pure pracaxi oil in the following ways:
- As An Overnight Treatment: Apply it to your scalp and hair before going to bed and rinse it out the following morning.
- Post-Shower Treatment: You can apply a few drops of pracaxi hair oil to your damp hair after a shower. This can keep your locks shiny.
- Pre-Blowout Protectant: Massage a few drops of this oil to your hair before blow drying and heat styling to prevent hair damage.
- Conditioning Treatment: Mix a few drops of this oil with your conditioner to amp up its moisturization properties. You can also mix a small amount of pracaxi oil with your conditioner and spray it along the hair’s length for added hydration. You can also add this hair oil to your favorite hair masks.
If you are wondering how often you can use pracaxi oil, here is the answer.
How Often Can You Use It?
Use pure pracaxi oil sparingly. A little goes a long way. However, if you want to combine it with other hair care products (like conditioners or hair masks), you can use it whenever required.
Excessive use of pracaxi oil may cause some side effects. Scroll down to know more.
Side Effects Of Pracaxi Oil
When using pracaxi oil, moderation is the key. Applying it in excess to your hair will clog the hair follicles and may trigger scalp acne.
Pracaxi oil does not interact with any other hair care ingredient and is safe to use. However, if you are sensitive to it, pracaxi oil may cause allergic reactions. Perform a patch test before using it.
Though there is not much scientific evidence for pracaxi oil benefits for hair, anecdotal evidence suggests that it can keep your hair healthy. This oil is rich in fatty acids, works as an excellent emollient, and has antifungal and anti-inflammatory properties that might be good for your scalp and hair health. Now that you know about this oil and what it can do to your hair, include this in your hair care routine and reap its benefits.
Stylecraze has strict sourcing guidelines and relies on peer-reviewed studies, academic research institutions, and medical associations. We avoid using tertiary references. You can learn more about how we ensure our content is accurate and current by reading our editorial policy.
- Case Series: The Effectiveness of Fatty Acids from Pracaxi Oil in a Topical Silicone Base for Scar and Wound Therapy
Latest posts by Sindhu Koganti (see all)
- Side Effects Of Facial Waxing : Prevention And Tips - March 30, 2021
- Mango Butter For The Skin: Benefits, How To Use, And More - March 26, 2021
- Double Cleansing For Clear, Glowing Skin - March 25, 2021
- Wrinkled Hands: Causes, Treatments, And Remedies - March 24, 2021
- Does Whey Protein Cause Acne? - March 23, 2021