If you’ve spent a good chunk of your time doing your makeup for that night out with the girls, only to find it smudged and smeared after a few hours, you are making the mistake of not using a primer. No matter how luxurious your foundation and other makeup is, it’s no good without a primer. And if there’s one makeup product every single makeup artist suggests using to help your makeup stay put, it’s this magical product called a primer If you’re new to makeup, let’s begin with the basics and learn how to apply makeup primer the right way.
What Is Makeup Primer?
What is face primer? A primer helps to create an extra layer between your skin and makeup. When you’re spending your time and effort to do your makeup, it’s important to keep it insured, and primer, my friends, is that insurance. Whether you want to smoothen your skin’s surface, even out your skin tone, or cover large pores and fine lines, a primer takes care of all these jobs for you.
Is A Primer Really That Important?
YES! If you’ve seen primers at makeup counters, but never really thought that this extra step makes any difference, then think again. You do need the extra expense of a primer and adding this tiny step to your makeup routine makes a world of a difference. You’ll never fully understand this until you’ve tried it (I was a primer skeptic, but once I gave it a shot, I don’t think I can do without one. Ever.) What attracted me was the fact that it combines the benefits of both cosmetics and skin care. It does indeed, and my skin has never looked or felt healthier. You may wonder, how? The answer lies in its ingredients. No matter what skin struggles you’re experiencing, there’s a primer made for it, and it helps treat them while holding your look together.
[ Read: Top 15 Makeup (Foundation) Primers ]
How To Apply Makeup Primer?
If you’re willing to incorporate a makeup primer into your makeup routine, I’ll tell you how to use face primer to make the most of it. But before that, here are some great primers that you can try –
Benefit POREfessional Face Primer, Smashbox Photo Finish Foundation Primer, Maybelline Baby Skin Instant Pore Eraser, e.l.f Cosmetics Blemish Control Primer.
How To Apply Primer – A Step-By-Step Tutorial With Pictures
Follow these simple steps to learn how to apply makeup primer and help your makeup last all day long.
What You Need
- A primer
- Clean fingertips
1. Prep Your Skin
This step is crucial if you want your makeup to look flawless. Use a gentle cleanser to wash your face, exfoliate and apply a lightweight moisturizer before anything else. Let it sink into your skin.
2. Applying Primer
How to apply foundation primer to even out Take a small amount of your primer at the back of your hand, and simply apply it with your fingertips, blending from the nose outwards. Once it’s fully blended, your skin will look more even-toned and luminous, and your foundation will sit better. Wait a few minutes after application, before you go in with your foundation, to allow the primer to sink in and create a smooth surface. You can also use the primer alone without any foundation if you want to keep it simple.
This is how your skin will look after application. You’ll see that the appearance of your pores and fine lines has visibly reduced. Also, it helps tackle redness and smoothen out the texture of your skin.
[ Read: How To Apply Foundation Perfectly ]
Tips: Making The Best Of Your Primer
If you’ve come this far, I’m sure you’re keen on actually trying out a primer now. Here are a bunch of tips and tricks that will come in handy when you’re applying your primer.
- When it comes to primer, less is more. A small raisin-sized drop will suffice. Rub this into the skin well for even coverage.
- Always apply moisturizer BEFORE you apply the primer.
- If your skin is dull, try a tinted primer to help add some glow and life back into your skin.
- Always make sure your primer is compatible with your foundation. You want to use water-based primers with water-based foundation, and silicone-based primers with the same foundations. This will prevent your base from separating.
- Apply primer around the eyes and on the lids as well. This helps prevent makeup from smudging or creasing by absorbing oils. It also softens crow’s feet.
How To Choose A Primer For My Skin Type?
Make sure you understand your skin type before heading out to buy a primer because you don’t want to pick out the wrong one for your skin. Here’s how you can do that.
- If you have dry or flaky skin, choose a hydrating primer. Look for words like “soothing,” “hydrating,” and “replenishing.”
- If your skin is oily, use a mattifying primer to reduce your skin’s oil production and minimize shine.
- If you have acne-prone or very sensitive skin, opt for water-based primers because silicone-based ones may clog pores and cause breakouts or irritation.
- Use a primer with nourishing ingredients and one that’s infused with antioxidants for mature or aging skin.
It’s also a great idea to try before you buy! If you walk into Sephora, you can pick up a few samples of the primers you’re interested in. A little trial and error is necessary to find your best pick. That was all about the benefits of primer and how to use makeup primer. Do you have a go-to primer or tricks to help your makeup stay in place for longer? Let us know in the comments section below.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
How long will the makeup last if I use a primer?
A good primer will lock your foundation in place and extend its staying power by 8 hours or more. Some long staying primers promise an impressive 15 hours of makeup wear.
Should I apply primer before or after moisturizer?
Always apply your primer after you moisturize your face. It will create a barrier between your hydrated skin and your foundation.
Is it better to use a primer without silicone?
Silicone-based primers help blur out the appearance of large pores and fine lines more effectively. But if you have acne-prone or sensitive skin, it’s better to steer clear of a primer with silicone and opt for water-based options.
Are there separate primers available for eyes and lips?
Yes. An eyelid primer generally has a thicker consistency than a face primer. These help products apply more vividly and prevent eyeshadow fallout. You can try the Benefit Stay Don’t Stray eye primer. A lip primer ensures smoother and even application of your lip color and prevents the color from bleeding out. Try the Becca Lip Priming Perfector.
- Top 10 Lip Primers Available In India
- Top 10 Eye Primers Available In India
- Top 5 Face Primers for Oily Skin
- Best Primers For Dry Skin
- MAC Prep + Prime Skin Refined Zone
Latest posts by Esha Saxena (see all)
- 25 Best Foundations For Dry Skin - March 31, 2021
- The 12 Best Eyebrow Trimmer For At-Home Grooming – 2021 - March 26, 2021
- 25 Best Nude Nail Polishes - March 18, 2021
- 12 Best Makeup Products From Kylie Cosmetics - March 17, 2021
- 15 Best Drugstore Lip Liners - March 10, 2021