The trendsetter, French Queen Marie Antoinette in 1775, flaunted a hairstyle a la Pouf for her husband’s coronation. Since then, this hairstyle has sparked an undying craze in the 21st century, so much so that puff hairstyles are always trending!
Let’s learn a bit more about this fashionable hairdo, shall we! Well-known as the puff or the toque, this high coiffure became a symbol of extreme extravagance during the 18th century. So, who created such a heavenly masterpiece? That credit goes to Leonard Autie, the royal hairstylist, a particular favorite of the queen, at the time. The pouf-fascination came back tenfold during the Victorian era as well. Nowadays, the pouf is used to add height to hairstyles or a more outlandish feel during fashion shows or red carpet events.
It should come as no surprise that the high coiffure was a trend. Its height gives the illusion of a longer and leaner face. It is a versatile hairstyle that can be paired very well with literally any other hairdo, be it a braid, updo, ponytail, or loose locks. It can also be custom-styled to suit any attire, whether your regular look, a newly pressed pant-suit, or a heavenly gown. And it steers up your confidence, so you start strutting everywhere you go! No matter the style, event, season, or day, the toque is sure to amp your look with elegance and royalty. Here’s a secret – it is also a great way to style overgrown bangs! Licensed hair expert Jessica Shults adds, “Puff hairstyles are a great style for natural texture as the curls do all the work to make your hair look amazing! It’s a fun, easy style that won’t damage your hair.” Not to mention that the puff can be used to enhance your facial features and face shape, so you look and feel thoroughly beautiful! No wonder so many celebrities, men and women, are sporting this hairstyle! Keep reading to check the trending pouf hairstyles you can try for yourself! Scroll down, or swipe up, now to know more.
- Puff hairstyles require a lot of practice. So, do not be impatient.
- From skinny denim to flamboyant evening gowns, puff hairstyles go perfectly with any outfit.
- These chic hairstyles have the ability to balance out the roundness of your face. It gives the illusion of a slimmer, longer face.
You Will Need:
- A Comb
- Bobby Pins / A Tiny Clutch
- Hair Spray (Only if you are combining the pouf with an elaborate hairstyle)
How To Make Puff Hairstyle Step By Step
It is simple and easy, and you will need all of five minutes to get this right. Take a look:
1. Comb your hair, and make sure it is detangled.
2. Take a small section of the hair at the front, and pull it back.
The width that you choose depends on the shape of your face. If you have an oval face, you can take a larger section, and you will have a broader pouf. If you have a round face, make sure you pull a smaller section of your hair. You could also section your pouf using the width of your eyebrows.
3. Roll the section, as shown in the image.
Around 2-3 times is ideal, but rolling it more than 3 times could make it tighter than necessary. The rolling helps keep the pouf intact, and also gives a better shape.
4. Using the roll as a grip, push the hair in the front such that it puffs up.
The height of the pouf is up to you. The higher you want the pouf, the more you push. Just make sure your hair doesn’t get messy in the process.
5. Use a tiny clutch or bobby pin to keep the pouf intact.
If you are combining the puff with another hairstyle, you can use some spray, otherwise it isn’t advisable.
Choosing the perfect hairstyle for your wedding day is difficult. After choosing your clothes and jewelry, deciding on a hairstyle that complements your whole look can be difficult. Knowing how to make puff hairstyles make life easier in this situation. It’s easy to do, takes little time, and is one of the most adaptable hairstyles that go with anything. So what are you waiting for now that you know how to create a puff hairstyle at home? Let your imagination go wild with the various hairstyles available. You may give it a shot. It appears to be difficult, yet it is not at all.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are puffs a protective style?
Afro puffs are one of the easiest and simplest styles to achieve on natural hair that is long enough. Although the puffs technically leave your hair out, this look is still considered protective.
How do you put 4c hair in a puff?
To make an Afro puff on 4c hair, follow the steps given below:
• Moisturize and braid your hair.
• Remove the braids after a few hours. By now, the hair ought to be stretched.
• From the tip to the root, brush out each section of hair.
• To create the puff, comb your hair up to the desired height.
• Put a band on your hair and tie it up.
• Use gel to smoothen your edges.
• If you like, add a hair wrap as an accessory.
- Wispy Medium Hairstyles
- Best Retro Hairstyles – Our Top 10
- Top 10 Best Looking Dreadlock Hairstyles
- Best Jessica Alba Hairstyles – Our Top 10