The moment you meet a new friend, you are eager to learn as much as possible. If you are unsure how to get the conversation going, here are some questions to ask a friend to learn more about them.
This mix of reflective questions and silly questions will help you dig deeper and get to know them like the back of your hand. Here are 101 questions to ask friends that range from silly ones to serious issues. Getting to know them through these questions will strengthen your relationship.
So, put an end to your curiosity about them, and just do it. Drop-in with a coffee or pizza and go over the list together. You will definitely learn some things about each other that you didn’t know before. So let’s get going!
Don’t know what to talk to your friends about? Check out this interesting video of 20+ questions to get the conversation going and strengthen your friendship!
Let’s get started!
In This Article
151 Questions To Ask Your Friends
- What do you usually do to avoid an uncomfortable situation?
- What makes you most charged up?
- Which emotion drives you the most?
- What annoys you like crazy about your life?
- What do you see me as?
- Who is the bravest person according to you?
- If you could change your life, how would it be?
- What makes you feel most loved?
- Do you like loving publicly?
- How would you want a stranger to perceive you as?
- What is your biggest dream?
- Have you ever lied to make anyone happy?
- If you had the chance of renaming yourself, what would it be?
- What makes you the jolliest?
- When do you feel the most vulnerable?
- Do you dread dying?
- What comes to your mind when I say funniest?
- What are you most afraid of?
- What would you choose – money or love?
- What is your biggest fear?
- What is your childhood fantasy?
- Would you be able to stay with someone who has opposite beliefs?
- Do you listen to your heart or your head?
- Have you ever been heartbroken?
- Where do you see yourself in 10 years?
- What was the craziest nickname you got?
- What experience changed you as a person?
- Whom do you take after?
- What did your last relationship teach you?
- If you had to choose between your family and friends, who would you choose?
- Do you believe in love?
- What do you want your future relationship to be like?
- What are you most grateful for in life?
- What would you change about your past if you had a time machine?
- What do you not like about yourself?
- What inspires you the most?
- What is the funniest movie you have seen?
- Who is the one person who has changed your life?
- Do you think confessions make a relationship stronger?
- Would you judge anyone by the secrets you know about them?
- Who would be the first person you would call in case of an emergency?
- If you could ask anyone to marry you, whom would you ask?
- What is your biggest dream?
- What is the strongest childhood memory you have?
- Who was your first childhood friend?
- What would be your last wish?
- What would be your superpower if you could choose?
- What do you regret the most?
- Which is your most romantic moment?
- How do you express your anger?
- What is your opinion on soulmates?
- Do you think you could keep secrets from your best friend?
- Do you like solo trips or going out with everyone?
- How religious are you?
- Which was the worst phase of your life?
- Would you like to live on after your death as a ghost?
- What are the things no one would know about you?
- If you had to give up on the love of your life for your best friend, would you?
- What are your opinions on world politics?
- What was the best phase of your life?
- Which movie do you connect to?
- Did you ever regret falling in love?
- Do you prefer looks over brains?
- What is the most expensive thing you own?
- Would you ever forgive someone who has cheated on you?
- What is one thing you would want to tell your parents about your life?
- Would you share your password with your partner?
- According to you, what is the perfect age for marriage?
- What kind of a parent do you think you will become?
- Who is the person you would share everything with?
- Would you stay friends with your ex?
- Have you ever lost someone you loved?
- If you are hurt, would you rather be left alone or be hugged tight?
- What is your ideal weekend?
- Did you ever break someone’s heart?
- Do you believe in karma?
- Did you ever cry yourself to sleep?
- What was the biggest misunderstanding between you and someone?
- Where would you like to go for a vacation?
- What tops your bucket list?
- Who was your biggest celebrity crush?
- Did you do something that seemed good to do but worked out the contrary?
- What do you like cooking the most?
- When did you make yourself the proudest?
- Which was the most embarrassing moment of your life?
- What is the first thing you would do if you were the president?
- Which is your favorite place on earth?
- What is that one thing you would never exchange in your life for anything?
- Which is your favorite song?
- Do you believe in ghosts?
- Did you ever prank someone?
- What would you do if a murderer asked help from you?
- Would you eat really hot chili for the one you love?
- Which song could make you cry?
- Have you ever broken a bone?
- Which was the moment you were a hero?
- Which food could you eat all year long?
- Buying what keeps you the happiest?
- Has anyone saved your life?
- Would you adopt a child left at your doorstep?
- Have you ever been so hurt that you wanted to take a drastic step?
- Which is your favorite TV show?
- Which food could you never say no to?
- What is your most prized possession?
- What is your easiest ticket to fame?
- Which is your favorite sport?
- Are you a morning person or a night owl?
- Do you like observing people?
- Did you ever get drunk and do something stupid?
- Which car would you like to own?
- What is the one thing you are terrible at?
- What is your best skill?
- How would your perfect room look like?
- Which is the most used app on your phone?
- Until what age would you want to live?
- Which art do you like the most?
- Which activity consumes most of your time?
- What intrigues you?
- How do you usually start a day?
- What was the turning point in your life?
- Which date would you never forget?
- Which is the farthest place from your home you have been to?
- Which is your dream city?
- Which was the worst accident you had?
- What would be the one thing you would do to be popular?
- How would you choose to relax after a tiring day?
- Which fictional character would you want to replicate?
- What is the cutest thing you have been attracted to?
- Would you kill to save anyone you love?
- What was your favorite pet?
- Which outfit would you never be tired of wearing?
- When did you feel you got the luckiest?
- Where would you want to spend every second of your time?
- Who is your favorite person to hang out with?
- What would be your best adventure?
- What is the one thing you always wanted as a child but couldn’t afford it?
- What small things do people do that make your day?
- What is the most annoying thing that people ask you about?
- Were you ever interested in anyone you could not be with?
- What is your favorite hobby?
- What is your favorite band?
- What would your first question be if you woke up after 10 years?
- Did you ever take anything for granted?
- Are you addicted to anything? What is it?
- What would you want to be remembered for?
- What makes you feel free?
- If no one ever woke you up, how long would you sleep for?
- What is the one thing everyone should try at least once in their lives?
- Have you ever been mean to anyone in your life and regretted it later?
- If you got a dollar for every lie you told, how much would you earn?
- Do you exercise regularly?
Infographic: 10 Questions To Ask Your BFF About Yourself To Find Out How Well They Know You
While you are asking questions to your friends to get to know them better, you may also want to ask your BFF to answer a few questions about you—they are supposed to know you the best, aren’t they?
Check out this infographic to find 10 interesting questions to ask your BFF to check how well they know you already.
These questions can be great conversation starters and act as icebreaker questions. You can have a mix of serious questions, deep questions, personal questions, fun questions, thought-provoking questions, open-ended questions, hypothetical questions, would you rather questions, opinion questions, trivia questions, relationship questions, and getting to know you questions to ask your friend and have an interesting chat. Of course, asking only deep questions or fun ones will make your time monotonous. However, always remember to make your friend comfortable. Do not just shoot out outrageous questions. Questions to ask a friend will depend on your dynamics with the friend. The point here is to know your pal better and not make them feel burdened with too many unnecessary questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
How do I ask my friend questions without being intrusive?
To avoid coming off as invasive when asking questions to friends, use open-ended questions, steer clear of embarrassing questions and touchy subjects, ask politely, pay close attention, show empathy and understanding, and break up the talk with statements about yourself.
Is it better to be formal or casual when asking questions to a friend?
Depending on the circumstances and the nature of your relationship with your friend, you should ask questions in a formal or informal manner. A formal approach may be appropriate in professional settings or while speaking with acquaintances. In general, a more casual approach is appropriate for close friends and informal settings.
How do I deal with my own feelings of anxiety or fear when asking my friend questions?
One can practice deep breathing and mindfulness, write down the questions beforehand, pick a supportive environment, remind themselves of the beneficial result one hopes to achieve, to deal with anxiety or fear when asking questions to a friend.
How can I strike a balance between asking questions and sharing about myself?
For a healthy balance, people can take turns asking questions. Also, they must allow the other person for disclosing as much information as they want. But, should avoid inquiring about a subject.
- Meeting a new friend is exciting, but it can be nerve-wracking to keep the conversation going. Create a list of random questions that will allow you to get to know them better.
- Invite your friend for a meal and go over these questions to strengthen your friendship.
- Ask them introspective questions about their dreams, fears, and their opinions on a range of topics to start a deep conversation with them.