Growing your hair is not an easy task, especially for those who have had short hair most of their lives. With each season affecting your hair differently, keeping your hands off the scissors can become a very hard thing to do. The biggest concern that most people have while growing their hair is keeping it damage-free and healthy. This includes intensively caring for your hair on a regular basis by oiling it, treating it with hair masks, cleansing it, and preventing potential damage.
While relying on commercial products does the job for some, using natural ingredients can be much friendlier to your budget. Not only that, but when making your own hair care solutions, you know exactly what is going into your hair mix, and why.
Rosemary is one such ingredient. The herb has been in use for ages as an effective hair care ingredient that stimulates your scalp, thereby promoting the growth of healthy hair.
Benefits Of Rosemary For Hair
According to the University of Maryland Medical Center, Rosemary has been used for centuries to not only stimulate hair growth but also delay graying. Listed below are the different ways in which the herb promotes healthy hair growth.
- When you are suffering from hair loss, growing your hair or keeping it long may seem a difficult task. Rosemary oil can counter hair loss by stimulating blood circulation in the scalp, which, in turn, promotes hair growth (1).
- Its high nutritional value and anti-inflammatory properties make it an excellent ingredient for nourishing the hair follicles and soothing the scalp. It also has analgesic properties that make it a good remedy for soothing inflamed scalps (2).
- It is known to thicken hair and add shine, and is often used by people who have thin, lusterless hair (3).
- The oil from the herb helps clean the hair follicles by unclogging them. Clogged follicles often lead to problems like dandruff, and, in extreme cases, hair fall.
- Rosemary oil is renowned for its ability to prevent and stop the spread of gray hair (4).
- It moisturizes a dry scalp, and prevents flaking and dandruff (5).
- It repairs damage while removing dirt and grime that may keep the hair weighed down (6).
How To Use Rosemary For Hair Growth
Rosemary is best known for its growth-boosting ability when it comes to hair care. The extra benefits it offers are an added bonus.
Following is a list of ways in which you can include rosemary in your hair care regimen to boost hair growth and prevent graying.
1. Rosemary Hot Oil Treatment
Hot oil treatments are a great way to deep-condition your hair. The process is time efficient and requires minimal ingredients. It is one of the best ways to tackle dry and damaged hair while improving scalp health.
- 2-4 drops of rosemary essential oil
- 2 tablespoons of a carrier oil (such as coconut, olive, almond, etc.)
- How towel/ Shower Cap
- Mix the rosemary oil and the carrier oil of your choice (coconut oil works well because of its penetrative properties) and heat it until it is warm. Do not heat the oils in a microwave as it may result in nutrition-loss.
- Section your hair and massage the oil into your scalp for about 10 minutes.
- Work the oil along the length of your hair until the roots and tips are well covered.
- Wrap a hot towel (use a blow dryer to heat your towel) around your oiled hair. Alternatively, you can cover it with a shower cap.
- Wait for a minimum of 30 minutes with the towel wrapped around your head before you wash the oil out. The warm environment will allow for maximum penetration and absorption of nutrients.
- Rinse the oils out of your hair with your regular shampoo. If you have oily hair, you can skip conditioning.
- End the wash with a cool water rinse to seal your cuticles.
You can treat your hair to a hot oil treatment up to 2 times a week. This will keep your hair conditioned while stimulating hair growth.
- Do not overheat the oil as it may not only burn your scalp but also result in nutrition loss.
- Do not be afraid to oil your hair if it is greasy to begin with. More often than not, greasy hair is a result of a lack of moisture.
2. Rosemary Leave-in Conditioner
Using rosemary as a leave-in conditioner will leave your hair feeling glossy and soft while it improves the blood circulation in your scalp, promoting hair growth. This is also a good treatment for people who have itchy or dandruff-ridden scalps.
- 1 tablespoon of Rosemary leaves/ 15 drops of Rosemary Essential Oil
- 1 cup of water
- Tea infuser
- Spray bottle
- Measure out a cup of water and boil it.
- To the boiled water, add about 15 drops of rosemary essential oil. Alternatively, if you are using dried rosemary leaves, you can steep the leaves in the boiled water using a tea infuser for 10 minutes.
- The essential oil and water mixture will carry no color while the steeped rosemary tea will have a pale green color.
- Pour the mixture into a spray bottle.
- Wash your hair and spray it with the rosemary infused water while your hair is still damp. Ensure that you cover most of your hair and scalp.
- Let your hair air dry.
- Alternatively, if you are suffering from hair loss, you can also drink the rosemary tea to improve blood circulation and promote hair growth.
You can use this leave-in treatment every time you wash your hair, and also in between washes to freshen your hair up.
Do not use this treatment in case you have high blood pressure, or are pregnant.
3. Rosemary Water For Hair Growth (Rosemary Hair Rinse)
Using a rosemary hair rinse will make your hair shiny and manageable. It will also stimulate your scalp, preventing hair loss.
- 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary leaves
- 2 cups of water.
- Boil the water and add the rosemary leaves to it.
- Let it boil for 15 minutes before you strain it.
- Strain the liquid and set it aside to cool.
- Wash and condition your hair as usual and then pour the rosemary infused water through your hair as a final rinse.
- Massage your scalp for a couple of minutes after pouring the rinse through your hair.
Use this rinse once a week for best results.
Ensure that the rosemary water has completely cooled before you pour it through your hair. Warm water can open you cuticles, resulting in moisture loss.
4. Rosemary Shampoo For Hair Growth
Using a rosemary shampoo is one of the easiest ways to promote hair growth. What’s better when you can make the shampoo yourself at home? Throw in a few of your favorite essential oils and you have your own personalized hair growth boosting shampoo.
- A rosemary shampoo bar
- 1 tablespoon of dried rosemary
- 3 cups of water
- Grate the shampoo bar and add it to a saucepan with the water and dried rosemary.
- Cook shampoo water on a low setting until the shampoo bar has completely dissolved.
- Let the mixture cool and then transfer it to a shampoo dispenser.
- Use this in place of your regular shampoo.
Use this shampoo not more than 3 times a week to promote hair growth.
Use the shampoo for longer than a week for your hair to adapt to it. It may look greasier than usual during the first week.
5. Rosemary Vinegar
Sometimes, slow hair growth can be caused due to building up of dirt and product residue. The dirt and product build up may clog your follicles and also form deposits on your hair shaft. A good way to tackle this is using a rosemary vinegar rinse.
- 1 cup of apple cider vinegar
- 3-4 sprigs of fresh rosemary
- 2 cups of water
- Crush the sprigs of fresh rosemary and soak it in the apple cider vinegar in a cool and dark place for at least 2-4 weeks.
- After 4 weeks, take 4 tablespoons of the rosemary vinegar and mix it with 2 cups of water.
- Use this mixture as a final rinse after you shampoo and condition your hair.
Use this rinse once a month in addition to other rosemary treatments.
Do not use too much of the rosemary vinegar. If you have dry hair use a smaller amount to keep your hair from getting dehydrated.
Other Ways To Use Rosemary To Improve Hair Growth
Rosemary can be used in combination with several other carrier and essential oils. Following is a list of oils and the different ways in which they help promote hair growth.
1. Olive Oil
Olive oil works well as a carrier oil when using rosemary. Its moisturizing nature makes it perfect for dry hair. It conditions the hair and seals the cuticle without weighing it down. It also strengthens your hair and nourishes your scalp, ensuring that the new hair that is growing is strong and healthy.
2. Coconut Oil
Coconut oil is a coolant and does a tremendous job at soothing your scalp. When used in combination with rosemary, it acts as the ultimate hair care solution for maintaining scalp health. Its penetrative properties nourish the hair shafts from within, increasing their tensile strength. It also contains fatty acid chains that nourish the follicles and hair.
3. Sage Oil
Sage oil has been in use since ancient times as a remedy for hair fall. It has been shown to tackle the effects of male and female pattern baldness. This essential oil can be used in combination with rosemary to prevent hair loss and promote hair growth.
4. Peppermint Oil
Peppermint oil is another essential oil that is known to maintain scalp health, improve blood circulation, and promote hair growth. Combining rosemary, sage, and peppermint essential oils will give you the ultimate hair thickening solution. You can combine these oils with a carrier oil such as olive or coconut and use it up to two times a week.
5. Castor Oil
Castor oil is said to double the rate of hair growth with regular use. However, the oil is not commonly used for hair care because of its sticky nature. To work your way around this, you can combine 1 tablespoon of castor oil with 2 tablespoons of a lighter oil like olive or coconut. To this, add a few drops of rosemary essential oil to make the perfect hair thickening oil blend.
6. Lavender Oil
Lavender oil is known for its lovely fragrance that is often used in aromatherapy. It is a well-known stress reliever and is also used in hair care. It, like rosemary oil, improves blood circulation to the scalp which, in turn, promotes hair growth.
7. Tea Tree Oil
Tea tree oil has anti-inflammatory, antibacterial, and antiseptic properties that make it another effective ingredient for topical use on the scalp. The essential oil is usually combined with a carrier oil. Use tea tree oil in combination with rosemary and carrier oil to tackle issues of the scalp such as dandruff.
8. Jojoba Oil
Jojoba oil is a wax ester that is known to have a similar structure to that of the natural oil sebum, which is secreted by your scalp. It is the perfect carrier oil to use in combination with rosemary if you have an oily scalp. It calms down the overzealous sebaceous glands by tricking them into thinking that there is enough oil being produced in the scalp.
9. Almond Oil
Almond oil is another favorite carrier oil that is a well-known hair care ingredient. It contains nutrients that are essential for healthy hair growth like omega 3 fatty acids, vitamin E, magnesium, and phospholipids. When used in combination with rosemary oil, it will improve blood circulation and provide nutrition for better hair growth.
How Long Does It Take To Notice The Effects Of Rosemary On Hair Growth?
You will start to notice boosted hair growth shortly after a month of using the herb. Regular use of the herb will boost the rate at which your hair grows and also increase its volume. Do not switch between too many ingredients. Because everyone’s hair is different, figure out what works best for your hair and stick to it.
Growing your hair is a long process, and there are no shortcuts to it. While you can use ingredients such as rosemary to meet your hair goals, there is no miracle solution that will give you long hair overnight. With a proper hair care regimen in place and a little bit of patience, you will get the gorgeously long hair that you want.
Do you have any hair growth secrets that you would like to share? Let us know in the comments section below.
- 34 Powerful Home Remedies For Hair Growth That Work Wonders
- Onion Juice For Hair Growth – 6 Amazing Ways To Use It
- How To Use Castor Oil For Hair Growth
- 7 Ways In Which Lemon Helps Hair Growth
Latest posts by Meenal Rajapet (see all)
- 10 Best Ear And Nose Hair Trimmers – 2018 - January 30, 2018
- Lice Vs. Dandruff – How Do I Know If I Have Nits Or The Flakes? - January 23, 2018
- 15 Best Hair Dryers to Buy In 2018 – Top Rated Hair Dryer Reviews - January 23, 2018
- BBLUNT Salon Secret High Shine Crème Hair Colour Review - December 19, 2017
- Melblok Review – The Wonder Pigmentation Cream For Bright, Clear Skin! - December 6, 2017