You must have heard a lot about Acai berries and their health benefits. But have you ever thought about the side effects of Acai berries? Yes, there are few side effects that we will discuss in this post.
But before getting into the side effects of Acai berry, first let’s briefly discuss about Acai berry:
The Acai palm tree is native to the northern area of South America and is grown widely in Brazil and other African regions. Botanically, Acai berry is referred to as Euterpe oleracea. It bears small reddish-purple fruit which is an important food source for Brazilians and people of the Amazonian tribes. The berries grow in bunches and resemble small grapes, which are green when young, and turn purple as they ripen. The fruit has a single seed inside and is surrounded by an oily coating. The puree of the Acai fruit is widely used in the preparation of ice-creams, desserts and jellies.
Acai berry has gained an immense popularity owing to their multitude of health benefits. The berries are used for making medicines, which help to treat various digestive and skin problems. Pure and unprocessed Acai fruit juice and puree are relatively free from any side effect. It is the addition of ingredients like caffeine, sugar, tobacco, toxic fillers to Acai berry supplements which make it unsafe for consumption.
Some Of The Acai Berry Side Effects Are:
1. Consuming processed Acai berry supplements can lead to the buildup of plaque and toxins in the body, which can cause a host of health problems ranging from acne to Candida to fatigue.
2. Acai berry supplements contain herbs like garlic, gingko and Feverfew, which can cause the blood to thin, leading to severe bleeding. In fact, any health supplement containing these ingredients must be avoided.
3. Echinacea, a herb used in Acai supplement can cause liver inflammation, leading to liver damage. It may also suppress the immune system if consumed for more than a week.
4. Excess consumption of Acai berry enhances the effect of vasodilator in the body, causing significant reduction in the blood pressure. This can sometimes become fatal, especially for people who suffer from cardiac problems.
5. People who are underweight should avoid consuming Acai berry as it suppresses appetite and promotes weight loss.
6. Acai berry can interact with pain killers and non- steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs like aspirin and aleve. Never combine Acai berries with other antioxidant supplements without your doctor’s knowledge. It can also block the effectiveness of cancer medications. Acai fruit may affect the results of the MRI scan.
7. Acai berry may cause the transmission of Chagas disease. It contains the remnants of tritomines- a blood sucking insect native to South America, which carries a parasite called Trypanosoma cruzi. It is this parasite which causes Chagas disease.
8. Eating Acai berries may cause swelling of the mouth, lips, tongue and throat. It may also cause wheezing or other respiratory problems.
9. Some people who are affected by pollen allergies may have trouble with Acai products. People suffering from pollen allergies have reported that their allergies were aggravated by Acai berries. Visit your doctor immediately if the problems persist.
10. Lactating women should avoid consuming Acai supplements as it can be harmful to the infant.
[Read:Best Acai Berry Supplements]
11. People, who are allergic to Acai or any other plant in the Arecaceae family, should refrain from consuming Acai berries.
12. Acai berry can also cause irritation in the colon and intestinal tract, causing diarrhea.
13. Other side effects of Acai berry include headache, partial deafness and reduced vision.
To conclude, Acai berry is an amazing fruit with incredible remedial properties, but the use of unhealthy additives and ingredients in the preservation process dilute its benefits. So always consume Acai berries in its original form.
Hope you liked the article on the Acai berry side effects warnings. Don’t forget to leave your comments below.