Our hands need as much care as our faces. They carry out most of our daily chores and handle several harmful products. So, we have listed 10 beauty tips for hands to make them look smooth, soft, and nice. Keep reading to know the best ways to pamper your hands at home.
In This Article
What Causes Dry Hands?
Dry skin, also called xeroderma, can affect the skin on different body parts and may result from numerous reasons (1):
- Environmental factors like cold weather, low humidity, and excessive exposure to sunlight can lead to moisture loss.
- Excessive handwashing, especially with harsh alkaline soaps or sanitizers, can strip the skin of natural oils.
- Exposure to chemicals, such as detergents or cleaning agents, can also contribute to dryness.
- Certain health conditions like eczema, psoriasis, or thyroid disorders can manifest as dry, irritated skin.
- Insufficient hydration, poor nutrition, and a lack of vitamins A and D, and minerals like zinc and iron can impact skin health and may lead to dryness.
- Friction from rough materials or frequent hand contact can lead to skin irritation and dryness.
- Overuse of hand sanitizers with high alcohol content can exacerbate dryness.
The next section gives you easy tips on how to care for dry hands and make them soft and beautiful again. Check them out!
10 Simple Beauty Tips For Hands
Check out here what are the basic steps you need to follow to get beautiful and soft hands.
1. Moisturize your hands
Use a good quality hand moisturizer and apply on hands at least thrice a day after you have washed it thoroughly. In the summers use a light non greasy moisturizer and in the winters opt for something heavier like body butter. Winters tend to dry out the skin, so you can do with the extra moisturizing.
2. Pamper the hands
Indulge in a manicure at least once a month. With a manicure your hands get cleaned, exfoliated and massaged. It’s thorough nourishment that your hands get.
3. Wash your hands
When you wash your hands, ensure that you wash your hands in lukewarm water all year round. Too hot water or too cold water tends to damage the skin (2). Never use normal dish soap because it is harsh on the skin and it also dries the skin easily (3). Avoid antibacterial handwashes as they contain harsh chemicals, are highly perfumed, and strip the skin of its natural oils.
Hailey, a YouTuber, shared the importance of washing hands and especially under the nail. She explains, “I want to mention how important it is to make sure that you don’t have food residue on your nails, makeup residue; you need to wash your hands all the time. What I do after eating is I actually take a paper towel and I will stick it under all of my nails and clean them out and then when I get a chance to wash my hands I will (i).”
Scrub your hands at least once a week with a good exfoliating agent to get rid of any dead skin. No time to buy one? Make one at home. Take a teaspoon each of fine sugar and olive oil and mix it well with the juice of half a lime. If you want to try something different, add one drop of your favorite EO and you are done! You have your homemade exfoliating scrub ready.
Tip: You can use this scrub without the olive oil too. If you’ve used the oil, wash your hands with a mild soap and lukewarm water. If you’ve used it without the olive oil, just rinse your hands in lukewarm water and pat dry.
Massage your hands at night for at least five minutes to let the goodness of the moisturizer soak in. For very rough hands, mix your moisturizer with a bit of Vaseline so that they are protected all through the night.
6. Protect your hands
When you are washing dishes, gardening or carrying out any chore that allows your hand to interact with chemicals, grease or dirt, ensure that you are wearing rubber gloves to protect your hands.
7. File and Trim
When you file your nails, file them in one direction rather than a seesaw action. A seesaw action can separate the layers of the nail and if water finds its way between those nail layers, it can lead to nail peeling. Trim your nails at least once in two weeks or as required.
8. Paint your nails
When you paint your nails, always use a base coat so that your nails are not stained. Using a base-coat will also help the nail-polish last longer.
9. Protect your cuticles
To maintain proper cuticle care, use a good quality cuticle cream or oil to prevent the cuticles from roughing out or drying. Looking for an alternative you can do at home? Apply a few drops of glycerine to your hands overnight at least twice a week and wash off with lukewarm water in the morning. You will wake up with softer hands.
10. Eat right
What you eat is very important. Proteins, Vitamin B, Vitamin E supplements should be a part of your diet to get healthy, strong nails and to keep your hands supple and soft (4).
Infographic: 5 Beauty Tips For Hands
Constant exposure to harmful chemicals leaves our hands feeling dry and coarse. Our hands deserve the same amount of care as any other part of the body. The infographic below lists tips to help restore their glow.
Our hands need extra care and pampering to make them soft and smooth. Moisturizing your hand regularly, going for a manicure at least once a month, maintaining nail care, washing your hands with lukewarm water, protecting your hands from harmful products and chemicals, indulging in hand massage, using hand scrubs weekly for a gentle exfoliation, wearing gloves while gardening, and trimming the nails and following proper nail file technique at least once in two weeks are different ways to keep your hands healthy, soft, and supple. Eating the right foods with enough proteins and vitamins is also good for your nails and hands. So, follow these beauty tips for hands to help you get those soft and supple hands.
Frequently Asked Questions
How can I lighten my hands naturally?
Here are a few home remedies to lighten your hands naturally.
- Take a bowl with warm lemon juice.
- Soak your hands in it for 20-25 minutes.
- Rinse your hands with cold water.
- Moisturize your skin.
- Extract some fresh aloe vera gel from the leaf.
- Apply it to your hands.
- Allow it to sit overnight before washing it off in the morning.
How can I get rid of wrinkles on my hands?
There are a few easy ways to get rid of wrinkles on your hands:
- Apply sunscreen.
- Drink a lot of water.
- Wash your hands thoroughly.
- Moisturize your hands with a hydrating hand cream or hand lotion.
- Maintain a proper nighttime routine.
What can I do to make my nails stronger and healthier?
Follow the tips below to make your nails healthier and stronger-
- Avoid using harsh chemicals on nails.
- Apply nail-strengthening nail products
- Keep your nails clean and trimmed
- Don’t chew on your nails and cuticles
Are there any specific treatments for dry or cracked skin on hands?
Use skin-specific hand creams with nourishing ingredients like shea butter, glycerin, hyaluronic acid, and vitamin E. Protect your hands from harmful chemicals, and wear gloves before touching chemicals.
How often should I exfoliate my hands, and what products should I use?
Exfoliate your hands once or twice a week to remove dead skin cells and keep them soft. Use gentle scrubs including natural ingredients like sugar, and salt, or make your own DIY scrub at home.
What are some effective remedies for treating discolored or stained nails?
You can go for nail whitening treatments or soak your hands in warm soapy water every day for 5 minutes and scrub gently.
Are there any specific techniques for shaping and filing nails?
Use a nail filer to shape your nails in one direction. Avoid going back and forth as it can weaken the nails and make sure to file from sides to center in one side swipe. Use a gentle buffer to smoothen the surface of the nail.
What are the best practices for cuticle care and maintenance?
Use cuticle oil and massage your cuticles with it. Avoid cutting your cuticles close to the skin to avoid infections. Push your cuticles back gently using a cuticle pusher and avoid biting or chewing your cuticles.
How can I prevent and treat hangnails?
Keep your hands moisturized, avoid biting or picking at your cuticles, clip off the hangnail using appropriate clippers, and apply antibacterial ointment to prevent infection.
What are some tips for preventing and reducing the appearance of wrinkles on hands?
Follow the tips below for preventing and reducing hand wrinkles-
- Keep your hands moisturized
- Use sunscreen
- Scrub your hands gently twice every week
- Wear gloves while working with water
Are there any specific nail polish colors or designs that can make hands look more elegant?
Nudes, pastels, French manicures, and light pinks make your nails look healthier and can hide stained nails easily. Pick a nude nail color based on your skin tone.
Can you suggest any hand exercises or massages to improve blood circulation and maintain youthful-looking hands?
Hand stretches, finger massages, wrist rotations, and hand clapping are effective exercises for youthful hands.
- Use a gentle hand wash to cleanse your hands.
- Moisturize your hands with a non-greasy formula in summer and a heavier moisturizer in winter.
- Always wear protective gloves while handling chemicals or tools.
- Trim, file, and clean your nails to avoid bacterial and fungal growth.
- Avoid using nail polish or wearing nail art for a long time as the toxins present in them can cause brittle, dry nails.
- Use a cuticle oil or cream to keep your cuticles from drying.
Say goodbye to dull and aging hands. Check out this informative video to learn about five simple yet effective techniques to rejuvenate your hands.
Personal Experience: Source
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Impact of Water Exposure and Temperature Changes on Skin Barrier Function
- The influence of daily dish-washing with synthetic detergent on human skin
- Vitamins and minerals: their role in nail health and disease.