Losing weight in a week is possible if you make the right changes in your habits and adopt a healthy way of living. Although quick weight loss is not a sustainable approach, it is a good start to motivate you to continue on your weight loss journey.
These simple tips to lose weight in one week can help you lose water weight but not overall fat. This article also contains expert tips to lose weight in one week. Scroll down to get started.
Table Of Contents
How To Lose Weight In A Week
Following a few healthy practices can help you lose weight in one week at home easily (1).
A. Change Your Lifestyle Habits
Our habits go a long way in determining the quality of our life and health. Embrace the good ones and chuck the bad ones, and you will see yourself opening the doors to healthfulness.
1. Set A Realistic Goal
Yes, goals are necessary to motivate yourself to lose weight. But while setting goals, you must be realistic. Unrealistic goals can only be deterrents in your quest for weight loss (2).
Marzia Prince Sometimes you may feel that you will never be able lose weight. But that could be because you haven't set goals for yourself. Of course, goals are important. They help one focus on the task at hand. Irrespective of what you are striving for, setting realistic goals always helps you reach your destination. And the same applies for weight loss.
2. Set A Time
Reinvent yourself as a slow eater. Cherish the food you are eating. Set a timer for 20 minutes, and ensure you are spending each minute savoring the dish before you. Mindful eating and chewing well can help in losing weight (3). Hogging on your food can only lead to overeating, as your stomach doesn’t have the time to tell your brain that it is full.
Tim Ramirez Move it or lose it. You must set time everyday for your workouts. Ideally, you can walk or jog for 45 minutes twice a day – once in the morning and once in the evening. Invest time in yourself because you are worth it!
3. Reduce Your Portions
It is always important to check what is there on your plate – quality as well as quantity. Portion control is not only a good practice to lose weight, but it also reduces excessive energy intake (4). Cut the portions in half and ensure you are choosing smaller portions.
A study conducted at The Pennsylvania State University shows the link between large portions and obesity. It also says that for weight management, you can eat larger portions of low-energy-dense foods (5).
Lisa Tanker Potts Use portion control. This helps you control calories. When you practice portion control, you no more would be tempted to overeat or binge. This ultimately reduces your calorie intake and aids in weight loss.
4. Don’t Eat In Front Of The Television
Merging television time with your dining time can lead to mindless eating. You tend to focus on what is happening on the television screen and become unaware of what is going on inside your mouth and stomach. Ultimately, you end up overeating.
A study published in the American Journal of Clinical Nutrition showed that watching television and snacking could have a negative impact on health status and increase energy intake (6). Eat at the dining table and concentrate on what you are eating.
5. Eat Cautiously
You must start eating before you feel too hungry and stop before you are full. This is because when we starve, we tend to eat more than we actually should. This is the reason people who starve themselves to lose weight only end up gaining more. Remember to eat slowly and not when you are starving. Also, remember to end your meal just before you are about to be satisfied.
6. Get Good Sleep
Your sleeping patterns have a lot to do with your weight. Lack of adequate sleep can eventually lead to weight gain.
A study showed that people who slept less than 5.5 hours tended to consume more carbohydrate-rich snacks than people who slept for 7 hours (7). Practice deep breathing exercises and get good sleep to regulate your hunger-satiety hormone.
David Kirsch Get sufficient amount of sleep in order for your body to recover. Your body repairs itself during sleep, and most of the healing also happens during this time. Hence, if you want a resilient body, sleep is as important as anything else.
7. Follow The 80/20 Rule
This rule is very interesting to follow to lose weight. This rule allows you to eat nutritious food 80% of the time, leaving 20% of the time to indulge in your favorite foods. This way, you can binge less and control yourself when you feel like binging.
8. Maintain A Positive Attitude
Maintain a positive outlook throughout, and always say to yourself that you are healthy and active. Most don’t understand, but what you do to yourself can have a dramatic impact on your mind, and ultimately, on your life. Reduce stress and learn not to take everything too seriously.
B. Change Your Food Habits
As the popular saying goes, you are what you eat. You are also what you don’t eat! What you keep consuming plays the most important role in keeping you fit and healthy and helping you lose weight in a week.
1. Eat Plenty Of Fruits And Vegetables
Fruits and vegetables play a vital role in weight management and health. They are low in calories and contain water and fiber (8). The abundance of water and fiber can make you feel full, thereby discouraging overeating or binging on junk food (9).
In an American study, it was established that there was a link between the consumption of fruits and vegetables and increased weight and fat loss (10).
Andrea Metcalf Up your fruits and veggies. Opt for 9 – 11 servings a day. Having more servings of fruits and vegetables not only gives you the required nutrients, but also keeps you full and discourages.
Marzia Prince It doesn't matter if you are a vegetarian, vegan, or a meat eater. Eating a diet majorly consisting of plant-based foods will nourish and heal your body. Try to eat more of raw and fresh fruits and vegetables. This way, you can reduce inflammation and detox your body on a regular basis. Also, when you nourish your body, you don't crave for the unhealthy stuff.
2. Drink Soup Regularly
Having a soup at the beginning of a meal can curb your appetite, and you will end up eating less. Also, soups can be highly nutritious but low in calories – precisely something every person who wants to lose weight needs.
In a study conducted at The Pennsylvania State University, it was found that consuming low-energy-dense soup can help decrease your calorie intake and enhance weight loss (11).
You can ideally go for vegetable-based soups, soups made of chicken or beef broth, and tomato soups without cream – these will fill you up with fewer calories (12). Make sure you prepare soups without using thickeners or fats.
3. Consume Whole Grains
Whole grains are one of the healthiest foods you will find in your kitchen. These grains get digested slowly, ensuring you feel full for long. Eating whole grains decreases body weight and visceral fat, which is important to improve insulin resistance (13).
4. Eliminate Sugar Intake
In a study conducted by the Harvard School of Public Health, it was found that consumption of beverages sweetened with sugar can cause weight gain in women (16).
Sara Haley Make sure you give up on your favorite drinks that are high on sugar. Trust me, it will do good to you in the long run and you will be happy you took that decision. If you want to have a sweet drink, you can do so by making your own flavored water by adding slices of your favorite fruit. For a quick recipe, you can check out my At-Home Spa Water Recipe. I also love HINT water so you can try one of those as well.
Kyle Brown When my clients need to drop weight quickly in a week, we use a lot of biohacks to get them camera-ready.One of those is having them take FIT365 shakes(www.fit365.com)for 2 of their meals daily.These are not only delicious, but are also low on calories and sugar.It is important that one stays away from sugar whenever possible, if he wants to lose weight.
5. Avoid Bacon
Bacon contains a lot of fat – 68% of the total calories you get from bacon actually come from fat, and about half of that is saturated fat (17).
According to a Canadian study, a diet rich in saturated fat can contribute to the development of obesity (18). It can have severe repercussions, and the best way to avoid them is by avoiding bacon. You can, instead, replace it with some veggies or eggs.
6. Drink Green Tea
Health experts across the world vouch for green tea for a reason – it is amazingly healthy. Green tea is known to boost the calorie-burning mechanism in our body.
According to a study, green tea can help you lose weight (you might have to drink about seven decaf cups a day). Green tea contains loads of antioxidants, the most potent of them being the catechins that have been found to boost metabolism and reduce body fat (19).
7. Eat Healthy Snacks
Choosing a healthy snack is challenging when you are trying to lose weight. According to multiple studies, snacks that are high in protein and fiber are beneficial to curb hunger, impart satiety, and aid weight loss (20).
Fruits, granola bars, or a packet of plain popcorn, oatmeal, fruits with yogurt – anything similar can serve the purpose. These contain fewer calories and are far better than high-calorie snacks.
Tom Holland Try to eat the same snack every day. By doing so, you would be knowing the caloric value of the snack you are taking in. And ensure your snacks are healthy.Even lean sources of protein at every meal would do the trick.
8. Say No To Anything Crispy, Creamy, And Cheesy
A big no to sauces, fried foods, and high-calorie eats. You can skip the cheese while having sandwiches. Refrain from adding mayonnaise or butter while you are cooking something at home. Lemon and pepper make a great combination for zest. Ditch the creamy soups and embrace the broth-based ones. Creamy and cheesy foods are possibly one of the best sources of saturated fats, and hence, carry the recipe for self-destruction. They increase bad cholesterol and make you vulnerable to weight gain and heart disease (21).
9. Consume Good Fats
Consuming good fats helps nourish the cells and keeps the body functioning at optimum levels. Sources of good fats include foods rich in omega-3 fatty acids, avocados, walnuts, a mixture of seeds, etc. They are found to help in losing weight by improving satiety and curbing hunger pangs (22).
April Sutton Not all fats are bad. There are bad fats, and then there are good fats. Replace the bad fats with good fats such as nuts, avocado, olive oil, coconut oil, etc. These will not only help you maintain your health, but can also aid in weight loss.
10. Take Vitamin C
It is not unwise to consider vitamin C as one of the ideal nutrients for weight loss. The fruits that are replete with vitamin C, like oranges, grapes, kiwis, etc., maintain your health and stop you from binging. They make you feel full without adding too many calories.
Vitamin C helps to burn more fat and is inversely related to body mass (23). Hence, consuming vitamin C-rich foods can aid in weight loss.
Theresa Longo Just like vitamin C, there are several other vitamins and minerals that can aid in weight loss. Specifically magnesium, which is an immune booster, reduces inflammation and supports digestion (and it is something women don't get enough of). Magnesium works wonders for skin and waistline.
11. Drink Plenty Of Water
Make it a habit of drinking a glass of water before (to prevent overeating) and after (to aid digestion) a meal. People who drank more water and less soda or other high-calorie beverages were more successful in losing weight (24). Numerous American studies have also backed the efficacy of water in aiding healthy weight loss (25), (26), (27).
C. Change Your Exercise Habits
How you shape your body more or less determines how you shape your life. No wonder people who wake up and run in the morning end up being healthier and happier. Do you also want to be like them? Then, better keep your body moving.
1. Do Yoga
Yoga benefits all the parts of your body. If done regularly, it can also aid weight loss and get you back in shape. Yoga forges a strong mind-body connection. You will be aware of what you are eating, and you will know when you are full. This encourages mindful eating, a practice that can go a long way in keeping you fit and healthy.
2. Burn Extra Calories
You can burn a few extra calories every day by doing a few quick and easy exercises. Simply walk a mile within 20 minutes or clean your house for 30 minutes. All such activities can help burn calories.
Fabrice Reduce your daily calorie intake by at least 500 to 1,000 kcal depending on how much you wish to lose. If you want to lose 1 pound of fat, you will need to burn 500 kcal everyday for a week. In other words, if your current plan is to consume 2,500 kcal daily and you want to lose at-least 2 pounds in a week, your diet must be restricted to 1,500 calories during that week.
3. Exercise In The Morning
Morning exercise helps to control appetite and prevent excess calorie intake and is more effective in helping you lose weight compared to evening exercise (29). It also improves the quality of sleep at night. This, eventually, could also promote weight loss.
Eric When you make the vow to do something active each day, preferably first thing in the morning, you will increase your overall circulation and rev up your metabolism – these 2 factors are necessary for weight loss. Ensure you break a sweat at-least once a day.
Lea Waide Exercise regularly. Instead of crash-dieting, which is not a long term solution and can even damage your metabolism, just exercise regularly. Eating properly and exercising regularly are the secrets.
4. Lift More Weights
If there is any smart way of losing body fat, it is lifting weights. Weightlifting burns body fat and helps build lean muscles (30). It is also effective in reducing belly fat. More muscles means quicker metabolism – something that every individual who wants to lose weight must aim for.
Lisa Raleigh If you want results in a week, you must step up a bit. Your workout must have strength sessions where you are lifting heavy weights, along with your intense cardio routine.
Losing weight is not very tough if you are focused and disciplined and adopt the right approach to achieve your goal. You can easily lose weight in a week at home if you complement it with lifestyle improvement, healthy eating practices, and exercise at least 150 min/week.
Frequently Asked Questions
How much weight can you lose in a week?
Weight loss depends on your body type and medical conditions. You can lose up to 6 to 10 pounds, which would be water weight and not fat.
Is it possible to lose 10 pounds in 1 week?
Yes. It is possible to lose 10 pounds in 1 week if you follow healthy practices. However, this is a drastic weight loss and is not advocated by experts. You can lose a maximum of 2 -3 pounds per week in a healthy way. Else, it can have adverse effects and also rebound after some time.
- Relationship between muscle water and glycogen recovery after prolonged exercise in the heat in humans, European Journal of Applied Physiology, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Setting targets leads to greater long‐term weight losses and ‘unrealistic’ targets increase the effect in a large community‐based commercial weight management group, Journal of Human Nutrition and Dietetics, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Effectiveness of mindfulness training and dietary regime on weight loss in obese people, Journal of Medicine and Life, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Increasing the portion size of a packaged snack increases energy intake in men and women, Appetite, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- What is the role of portion control in weight management? International Journal of Obesity, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Television watching increases motivated responding for food and energy intake in children, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Lose Sleep, Gain Weight: Another Piece of the Obesity Puzzle, Environmental Health Perspectives, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Health Benefits of Fruits and Vegetables, Advances in Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Can eating Fruits and Vegetables Help People to Manage Their Weight? Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
- Increased vegetable and fruit consumption during weight loss effort correlates with increased weight and fat loss, Nutrition & Diabetes, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Soup preloads in a variety of forms reduce meal energy intake, Appetite, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Eat More, Weight Less? Department of Health and Human Services Centre For Disease Control and Prevention.
- Whole grain cereal food in prevention of obesity, Acta Chimica Slovaca.
- Sugars and Health Controversies: What Does the Science Say? Advances in Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Intake of sugar-sweetened beverages and weight gain: a systematic review, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Sugar-sweetened beverages, weight gain, and incidence of type 2 diabetes in young and middle-aged women, JAMA, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Nutritive Value of Pork, cured, bacon, unprepared, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
- A highly saturated fat-rich diet is more obesogenic than diets with lower saturated fat content, Nutrition Research, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Ingestion of a tea rich in catechins leads to a reduction in body fat and malondialdehyde-modified LDL in men, American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Snack Food, Satiety, and Weight, Advances in Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Facts about saturated fats, Medline Plus, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Long-term associations of nut consumption with body weight and obesity, The American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Strategies for healthy weight loss: from vitamin C to the glycemic response, Journal of the American College of Nutrition, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Drink water to curb weight gain? Clinical trial confirms effectiveness of simple appetite control method, American Chemical Society, Science Daily.
- The impact of water intake on energy intake and weight status: a systematic review, Nutrition Reviews, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Water consumption increases weight loss during a hypocaloric diet intervention in middle-aged and older adults, Obesity, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Water Consumption Increases Weight Loss During a Hypocaloric Diet Intervention in Middle-aged and Older adults, Obesity, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Yoga practice is associated with attenuated weight gain in healthy, middle-aged men and women, Alternative Therapies in Health and Medicine, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Comparison between the effect of 6 weeks of morning or evening aerobic exercise on appetite and anthropometric indices: a randomized controlled trial, Clinical Obesity, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- American College of Sports Medicine Position Stand. Appropriate physical activity intervention strategies for weight loss and prevention of weight regain for adults, Medicine and Science in Sports and Exercise, US National Library of Medicine, National Institutes of Health.
- Effective Diet Plan To Lose Weight In 30 Days
- Effective Diet Plan To Lose Weight In 30 Days
- The GM Diet Plan: How To Lose Weight In Just 7 Days?
- 7 Unbelievably Simple Ways For Teenage Girls To Lose Weight
Latest posts by Priyanka Sadhukhan (see all)
- What Is The Noom Diet And How Does It Work? - July 27, 2020
- How The SlimFast Diet Works – Pros, Cons, And A Sample Meal Plan - July 21, 2020
- 15 Best Shampoos For Hair Loss Due To PCOS - June 15, 2020
- 11 Best Antibacterial Soaps For Tattoos (2020) – Reviews And Buying Guide - June 1, 2020
- Heat Protectants For Fine Hair – 13 Top Picks For 2020 - May 20, 2020