What do you envision when you think about your skin in summer? Smooth, firm, and glowing skin with a hint of tan, giving you that perfect sun-kissed look. But, the reality can make it difficult to get glowing skin in summer. Here’s why
Summers can be brutal. When the temperature soars, the heat and humidity can make your already active oil glands hyperactive. You eventually end up with excessive sebum around the T-zone, itchy rashes, sunburn, and premature signs of aging. This is why you need a proper skin care routine as your first line of defense. Scroll down to find out how to get glowing skin in summer naturally.
15 Tips For Glowing Skin In Summer
These beauty tips are a combination of lifestyle tweaks and including a few skin care products in your routine. Find out how to make your skin glow in summer.
1. Consider Changing Your Face Wash
Cleansing your face is the most basic skin care routine that you need to follow, irrespective of the season. During summers, the climate is already hot and humid. Your face tends to produce more oil during this time, so you need to change your cleanser accordingly.
Oily skin takes the maximum beating as your pores can get easily clogged and cause acne. Get a foaming cleanser that contains salicylic acid for summers.
If you have dry skin, you may experience redness and rashes. Use a non-soapy face wash to clean your face twice a day. The same is applicable for those with combination skin.
Those who have normal skin can switch to a gel-based face wash during summers.
Wash your face twice or thrice a day to feel refreshed.
[ Read: Best Face Washes For All Skin Types ]
2. Do Not Forget Sunscreen
This is something that you absolutely cannot forget during summers. Sun protection for your face, hands, legs, and any other exposed parts of your body is vital. Excessive UV exposure can permanently damage your skin and cause sunburn, wrinkles, fine lines, and premature aging. Invest in a sunblock or sunscreen that has a broad UV spectrum (at least SPF 30). Apply it twice a day on all the exposed parts of your skin.
3. Add A Punch Of Antioxidants
Invest in serums, moisturizers, and sunscreens that come with an additional punch of antioxidants. For instance, vitamin C protects your skin from environmental damage and boosts collagen development. Creams and serums loaded with natural extracts and antioxidants reduce inflammation (which is pretty common in summer), neutralize the harmful free radicals, and repair your skin.
4. Add Antioxidants To Your Diet
Applying antioxidants topically is not enough. To maintain radiant skin, you need to nourish it accordingly. Healthy eating is a must during summer. Consume lots of seasonal foods, such as pineapples, citrus fruits, fresh berries, seafood, and vegetables. These contain essential vitamins, nutrients, and antioxidants that boost collagen production, reduce inflammation, and protect your skin from the damaging effects of the sun.
5. Keep Yourself Hydrated
Drink lots of water and don’t forget to carry a water bottle with you wherever you go. Keep sipping from your bottle. This is important to keep your skin hydrated, flush out toxins from your body, and feel refreshed during the hot summer days.
[ Read: Water Therapy To Get Glowing Skin ]
6. Go Easy On Makeup
When it comes to makeup during summer months, go minimal. That’s because your skin needs to breathe when the weather is super hot and humid. If you absolutely cannot do without your foundation, go for a tinted moisturizer with SPF and layer it with face powder to avoid any patchy spots. Do not forget your lips. Instead of lipsticks, use tinted lip balms with SPF. Avoid heavy eye makeup. Stick to a simple kajal instead.
During summer, your skin works hard to keep itself healthy and heal any irritation or sunburn. Help your skin in this process by exfoliating it gently. Exfoliation helps buff away the dead skin cells, leaving your skin looking radiant. You can use homemade sugar scrubs to exfoliate your skin or simply grab a washcloth and use it to scrub your skin gently. However, make sure that you do not over-exfoliate your skin.
8. Tone Your Skin
Toners are a must-have during the summer months. A good toner keeps your skin oil-free and clean. It also reduces the appearance of pores. When applying toner, pay attention to your T-zone as it is the part of your face that secretes the maximum oil during summer.
9. Update Your Moisturizer
If you think your skin doesn’t need a moisturizer during the summer months, you are wrong. The only difference is that the heavy moisturizers that you used during the winter months will work during summer. You need to use a light moisturizer when the weather is warm. Pick a non-greasy and lightweight moisturizer (pick one with SPF for daytime use) that will help to lock in the essential moisture of your skin.
10. Do Not Forget Your Feet
Your skin doesn’t end at your neck. Most of us tend to forget our feet. Now that you have replaced your winter boots with summer sandals, you need to take care of your feet as well. Give yourself a pedicure at home. Use a scrub to remove the dead and dry skin cells. Moisturize your feet them and don’t forget to apply sunscreen lotion on your them.
11. Get Enough Exercise
If the summer heat, sweat, and humidity are keeping you off the treadmill, don’t give up. I know that staying inside and watching a movie while sipping iced tea is a tempting option, but exercise is equally important for maintaining healthy skin during summer. Physical activity improves blood flow, which means your skin cells get more oxygen. Thus, your body heals any tissue damage (like a sunburn or acne) easily. You think exercising in the gym is monotonous? Add some fun to your workout routine and try Zumba instead. Even better, go cycling, play volleyball with your friends, or try hiking. Any form of exercise is good for your health
12. Don’t Cut Down Your Resting Time
Your body needs time to repair itself and maintain healthy skin. That’s why no matter what schedule you maintain, try to take out enough time to rest. This is crucial because, during the summer months, the days are longer, and most of us tend to be active for longer. While your body rests, it boosts melanin development, repairs any damage to the skin cells, and revitalizes your immune system so that it can fight off acne-causing bacteria and other germs that might damage your skin.
13. Do Not Forget The Eye Area
The area around your eyes is more delicate than the rest of your face. Therefore, it needs special care. Whenever you are stepping out in the sun, do not forget to wear sunglasses. This will prevent the formation of wrinkles around your eyes. Don’t forget to apply a moisturizing eye cream both during the day and at night. Use products that contain hydrating ingredients such as hyaluronic acid, honey, and cucumber. Massage the area around your eyes every night to relax the muscles.
14. Cool Off With A Face Mist
A cool face mist works wonders on a hot and humid summer day. It helps in soothing sunburns and inflammation and makes your skin look fresh and dewy. You can buy a face mist or even make one at home. Check out the recipe in the following section.
[ Read: Best Hydrating Face Mists ]
15. Always Take Cold Water Showers
Avoid hot showers and steam baths during summer as they dehydrate your skin. Take a cold water shower instead. It keeps your skin pores unclogged and prevents acne breakouts. It is also much more refreshing.
Check out these simple skin care recipes that can help you get glowing skin in summer at home
Home Remedies For Glowing Skin In Summer
1. Cooling Cucumber Face Mist (For All Skin Types)
You Will Need
- 1 cucumber
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon mint juice
- ½ cup rose water
- 1 cheesecloth
- Grate the cucumber and strain the juice with the cheesecloth.
- Mix it with rosewater, mint and lemon juice in a spray bottle and shake it well.
- If the consistency is too thick, add more rosewater.
- Spritz it on throughout the day.
2. Gentle Coffee Body Exfoliator For Tan Removal (For All Skin Types)
You Will Need
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- ½ cup coffee grounds
- 2 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- ½ teaspoon eucalyptus essential oil
- 1 tablespoon sea salt
- Mix all the ingredients well to make a paste.
- Store this paste in a glass jar.
- Use this mixture as a body scrub.
- Massage it all over your body for 15 minutes before washing it off.
3. Soothing Cucumber And Mint Eye Mask
You Will Need
- ½ cup grated cucumber (with the skin)
- 6 mint leaves
- 1 teaspoon rose water
- 2 cotton pads
- Blend the mint leaves and strain the juice.
- Strain the juice from the grated cucumber and mix it with the mint juice.
- Add rosewater to dilute the juice (adjust the amount as per your preference).
- Soak the cotton pads in the juice for a few minutes.
- Flatten the cotton pads, place them in separate zip-lock pouches, and freeze them for 10-15 minutes.
- Place them on your eyes and relax for 25-30 minutes.
4. Strawberry And Lemon Face Pack
You Will Need
- 3 strawberries (mashed)
- 1 tablespoon yogurt
- ½ teaspoon lemon juice (diluted with rosewater)
- 1 teaspoon honey
- Combine all the ingredients to make a paste.
- Spread the paste evenly on your face and neck.
- Leave it on for 20 minutes.
- Wash it off with cold water.
- Follow this routine thrice a week.
5. Pore Tightening Egg White Face Mask
You Will Need
- 1 egg white
- 1 teaspoon orange juice (freshly squeezed)
- ½ teaspoon turmeric powder (cosmetic grade)
- Mix all the ingredients in a bowl.
- Use a brush to apply the paste on your face and neck (avoid the area around your eyes).
- Leave it on to dry.
- Gently wash off the mask with water.
- Use this mask twice a week.
The sultry summer days are numbered. However, the rashes and patches that your skin develops during this period will stick around for a long time unless you take good care of your skin. These tips and recipes will help you restore your skin’s natural balance and keep it well protected in the heat.
Try these simple tips for glowing skin in summer naturally and leave your feedback in the comments section below. Also, don’t forget to tell us how you love to pamper your skin during summers.
- 17 Best Beauty Tips To Follow In Summers
- How To Get Glowing Skin In 7 Days – With Instructions
- 5 Summer Face Packs For Combination Skin
- How To Take Care Of Your Skin In Humid Weather?
Latest posts by Ramona Sinha (see all)
- Ichthyosis Vulgaris – Causes, Symptoms, And Treatment - March 14, 2019
- Does A Vegan Diet Benefit Your Skin? - March 12, 2019
- 10 Best Essential Oils For Wrinkles – Anti-Aging Oils For Younger-Looking Skin - March 6, 2019
- What Is Your Fitzpatrick Skin Type? - February 27, 2019
- Crepey Skin: What It Is, Causes, And Treatments - February 25, 2019