If you have not used spinach for hair growth, it is probably time to include this leafy green in your diet and hair care routine. Hair requires special attention and nutrients to stay healthy. Spinach is high in iron, protein, vitamins A and C, and other micronutrients, all of which can keep your hair healthy, nurture the follicles, and stimulate hair growth. This article discussed the benefits of spinach for hair growth and how to use it to maintain your hair health. Keep scrolling to learn more.
In This Article
Benefits Of Using Spinach For Hair Growth
Most of us grew up watching Popeye pump his guns after swallowing a can of spinach. But did you know that spinach is good for more than just gaining unreal strength? The green leafy vegetable has a high nutritional content and is extremely rich in antioxidants. Is spinach good for hair growth? Yes, here are the different ways in which spinach boosts hair growth:
- Spinach is rich in vitamins K, A, C, B2, B6, B1, E, manganese, zinc, and iron (1). These nutrients help nourish your scalp and hair, ensuring healthy hair growth.
- The high content of antioxidants in spinach helps prevent hair damage and boosts scalp health.
- Vitamin B and C are excellent for encouraging healthy hair growth (2), (3). They speed up the rate of hair growth by increasing collagen and keratin levels.
- The rich iron content helps increase the supply of oxygen to the hair follicles, ensuring that they stay in top health.
- Spinach has anti-inflammatory properties (4). This helps soothe an aggravated scalp.
How To Use Spinach For Hair Growth
Now that you know spinach is an excellent hair care ingredient, here’s how you can use it to promote hair growth:
1. Spinach Hair Pack
You Will Need
- 1 cup Spinach Leaves
- 1 tbsp Honey
- 1 tbsp Carrier Oil (Olive, Coconut, Castor, etc.)
30 minutes- 1 hour
- Throw the ingredients into a blender and blend until you get a smooth, consistent paste.
- Apply this paste all over your scalp and work it through the entire length of your hair.
- Once your hair and scalp are both covered in the spinach mixture, leave it on for 30 minutes to an hour.
- Wash the spinach hair pack out with cool/lukewarm water and a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
1-2 times a week.
How This Helps
The honey and oil in this pack help seal the nutrients and moisture in your hair, keeping it healthy and damage-free. It also helps soothe your scalp, and improve circulation to boost healthy hair growth.
2. Spinach Oil
You Will Need
- 1/2 cup Spinach
- 1/4 cup Carrier Oil (Olive, Coconut, Castor, etc.)
- Blend half a cup of spinach until you get a smooth paste.
- Use a cheesecloth to separate the pulp from the juice.
- Mix the pulp with your choice of carrier oil. If you have oily hair, use a light oil like jojoba or olive oil. For dry hair, use coconut or castor oil.
- Massage the oil into your scalp for 15 minutes and then work it through the whole length of your hair.
- Leave the oil on for an additional 45 minutes.
- Wash out the spinach oil with cool/lukewarm water and a mild sulfate-free shampoo.
2-3 times a week.
How This Helps
A spinach and oil massage can help improve blood circulation while unclogging your pores and balancing oil production. This helps boost scalp health for healthy hair growth while conditioning your hair and tackling issues such as dryness or frizz.
3. Spinach Smoothie
Not everybody likes to apply spinach to their hair and if you are one of those, here’s a spinach smoothie recipe for you to try. You can’t even taste the spinach when it’s blended in with the delicious fruits.
You Will Need
- 1 Large Ripe Banana
- 1 cup Spinach
- 1 cup Papaya
- 1 cup Almond/Coconut Milk
- Chop up one cup of papaya and one large Banana
- Throw these into a blender and to it add the spinach and almond/coconut milk.
- Blend the ingredients until you get a smooth mixture.
It should be consumed 2-3 times a week for best results.
How This Helps
What you put inside your body is just as important as what you’re putting in your hair. For your hair to grow out strong and healthy, your body has to be well-nourished. Using the topical spinach treatments in combination with consuming this smoothie will ensure that your hair remains healthy root to tip as it grows.
Note: Consuming raw spinach every day is not good for one’s health. It should be consumed in moderation only as you may develop kidney stones.
Spinach is among those green veggies that contain the highest amount of oxalic acid. Eating too much spinach may result in the formation of calcium-oxalate, which can cause kidney stones. It can also lead to hyperoxaluria i.e., excessive urinary excretion of oxalate.
You probably didn’t think you could use spinach for hair growth but research suggests otherwise. Spinach is rich in vitamins K and A, manganese, iron, and zinc which prevents hair damage, boosts scalp health, and stimulates hair growth. With a few ingredients such as spinach, honey, and carrier oil, you can make your own spinach hair mask at home. If the idea of putting spinach on your hair does not sound appealing, you can make a delicious spinach smoothie for breakfast to get healthy and strong hair.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is boiled spinach good for hair?
Yes. Spinach is good for the body, but it also contains oxalate, which can lead to kidney stones if it accumulates. Boiling is a good method to reduce oxalate levels by up to 87% (4).
Is spinach good for hair fall?
Possibly. Spinach is packed with iron and vitamin C, which may help boost hair growth and reduce hair fall (5).
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Use of spinach powder as a functional ingredient in the manufacture of UF-Soft cheese
- The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review
- The Roles of Vitamin C in Skin Health
- Effect of different cooking methods on vegetable oxalate content
- ALOPECIA: HERBAL REMEDIES