Spinning is the new Inception for a fit body and mind. No, I’m not talking about the bizarre superhero spins that can make you dizzy just watching them. Spinning is an indoor stationary bike exercise that burns 600 calories in just 45 minutes! This high-intensity interval training (HIIT) stationary bike has a resistance knot to simulate the outdoor cycling experience. And it is more effective for weight loss than a cycle. So, if you are struggling to get a fit, slender, and toned body and a confident mind, give this post a read. It has everything you need to know about the spinning exercise. Swipe up!
Difference Between Spinning And Cycling
According to Mary Beth Knight, a certified personal trainer, the difference between spinning and cycling is “not so much and a lot.” Both cycling and spinning help strengthen your heart and body muscles, but there are a few differences between the two:
- Cycling is an outdoor activity that can be done on a pleasure bike, road bike, or a mountain bike. But spinning is an indoor activity on a stationary bike.
- Cycles have gears to help in pedaling, but spinning bikes have resistance knots to apply resistance to help work your muscles.
- To get a good calorie burn from cycling, you need a traffic-free stretch of road, which can be hard to find in some locations. But with a spinning bike, you just get on it and start working out almost immediately.
- Spinning exercises are led by a certified instructor while you can do cycling on your own.
- The spinning exercise lasts for about 40-45 minutes. But you can cycle as long as you want.
- Spinning is an efficient whole body workout in a short amount of time while cycling is not as efficient.
- Spinning is a group exercise with music to keep you motivated and going when the going gets tough.
So, you see, spinning has its own advantages. Not that cycling is terrible, but if you want to see results in a few weeks’ time, go for spinning exercises instead of cycling. Take a look at the 10 benefits of spinning exercise to understand why spinning is better than running on the treadmill.
10 Benefits Of Spinning Exercise
1. Maximum Calorie Burn In A Short Time
Spinning is the best exercise to burn about 600 calories in 45 minutes. The resistance, time duration, and speed of the spinning bike help use up the calories consumed and mobilize the stored fat. Any other form of cardio – say, running, sprinting, swimming, or dancing – will only burn 300-500 calories in 60 minutes. So, if you are ready to shed some flab, go for spinning.
2. Improves Heart And Lung Health
Your heart and lungs are two of the most important organs. Leading a sedentary life and consuming unhealthy food can cause serious damage to these organs. But you can reverse this damage and protect these organs by adding spinning exercise to your workout regimen. Just sit on the bike, set your resistance and speed, and start spinning. Your heart rate will go up, which will increase lung function as well. Regularly doing it for 20-30 minutes will show a significant increase in your heart and lung functions.
3. Tones The Muscles
Cardio has the bad reputation of causing muscle loss. Well, not this form of high-intensity cardio. Spinning works on your glutes (hips), hamstrings (back of your thighs), quadriceps (front of your thighs), calves (back of your lower leg), and lower abs. It targets fat loss from these areas in your body and the high-intensity of this exercise makes sure that you also build some muscle. And by “building muscle,” I do not mean you will start to look muscular. It will add definition and tone your lower body.
4. Strengthens Your Muscles
Muscle strength is something that comes with practice. The more you contract and relax your muscles, the more wear and tear they undergo, and the stronger muscles you build. And spinning exercise is perfect for building lower body muscle strength.
5. Increases Stamina
Spinning exercise helps tone and strengthen your muscles. It also helps improve your heart and lungs. As a result, your stamina or endurance level goes up. Which means, with strategic practice, you will be able to spin faster and for a longer duration without feeling fatigued. This will help you in various endurance exercises like running a marathon, biking competitions, swimming, dancing, and pilates.
6. Increases Core Strength
Your core is comprised of all your body parts except your limbs (arms and legs) and head. Your chest, upper back, lower back, abs, and upper part of your glutes are a part of your ‘core.’ These muscles help you stand, sit, walk, play, and do various other movements without breaking or twisting your spine. Spinning exercise targets and strengthens the lower abs, glutes, and lower back muscles. As a result, it improves the condition of your body and posture.
7. Stress Reliever
There are days when you are stressed and don’t want to go out for a walk or a run. Get on a spinner and start spinning. The upbeat music will keep you from worrying, and the calorie burn will make you feel better. Try it – it works.
8. Easy On Your Joints
While running on the treadmill can help relieve stress, it can also hurt your joints. Spinning, on the other hand, does not put your ankles, knees, and pelvic bones in danger. So, a spinning bike is safer and more effective than just walking or running on the treadmill.
9. Improves Your Willpower
If you are a beginner, you will train with a certified trainer and a group of other people with similar fitness goals. Your trainer will push you to achieve new goals every week. Plus, when you see other people improve their fitness levels, you will be motivated to improve yours as well. This will test your muscle strength, endurance, and willpower. As you progress, you will develop stronger willpower and be surprised to see what you can achieve if you set your mind to it.
10. Enjoy While Losing Weight
This is the best part of the spinning exercise. You can do it at home or at the gym with music. If you are feeling too bogged down, you can also watch your favorite show while doing the spinning exercise and burn those calories.
So, you see, there is no reason you shouldn’t do the spinning exercise. But you must maintain the timing to reap the best benefits. Here’s a spinning exercise workout routine for you.
45 Minutes Spinning Exercise Routine
|Time (Minutes)||Speed (RPM)||Resistance||What To Do|
|3-8||70-80 (moderate)||Moderate||Stay seated and pedal for 1 minute.|
Stand up and pedal for 1 minute.
|8-12||90-100 (fast)||Light||Stay seated and pedal.|
|12-15||90-100 (fast)||Light||Stand up and pedal (simulate the action of jogging).|
|15-20||60-70 (slow to moderate)||Moderate to Heavy||Sit down and pedal and increase resistance every 30 seconds.|
|20-24||40-50 (very slow)||Very heavy||Stand up and pedal.|
|24-34||40-100(very slow to fast)||Light to Very heavy||Repeat minutes 8-24.|
|34-40||100-120 (very fast)||Light||Stand up and pedal.|
|40-45||50-70 (slow-moderate)||Light||Stay seated, decrease speed, and cool down.|
Feel the burn? Well, this is the ideal spinning exercise routine. You can make it a little easier by taking 10-second breaks or slowing down and putting less resistance. But do so only when you are new to this exercise. You must be following this routine by the time you are in the second week of spinning exercise if you want to see some results.
Now, you have to be careful about a few things when you do spinning exercises. Here’s a checklist.
Ways To Do Spinning Exercise Correctly
- Set your seat and handles at the right height.
- Hop on the seat and see if the handlebar is at the perfect distance for you to hold it comfortably.
- Make sure your knees are not hitting the emergency brakes. If they are, your seat is too close to the handlebars. Adjust it accordingly.
- Do not set your resistance too low or too high.
- Follow your instructor’s directions to get a good workout in 45 minutes.
- When you stand up and pedal, avoid holding the handlebar. Keep your hands close to your body so that you actually work your glutes and not the shoulders.
- Keep breathing all the way till the end of the spinning exercise. Holding your breath will only prevent you from achieving your calorie burn goal.
- Always warm up and cool down before and after the spinning exercise to prevent injuries.
Do not overdo the spinning exercise as it can weaken your muscles. Mix it with other HIIT and strength training exercises to balance your workout.
To close, the spinning exercise can be life-changing if you do it correctly. Follow the instructions, eat healthy, and live an active life. You will see results soon as you lose weight, feel less stressed, sleep better, and improve productivity. So, Google gyms near you that have spinning bikes or buy one and get shredded. Good luck!
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Is spinning a good way to lose weight?
Yes, spinning is a great way to lose weight.
Is spinning good for toning your bum?
Is spinning good for losing belly fat?
Spinning will help you burn a lot of calories, and, therefore, you will lose fat from the entire body. So, yes, spinning will help you lose belly fat. But you will see better results if you include belly toning exercises like planks and Pilates in your exercise routine.
What muscles are worked in spin?
Spinning exercise targets your quads, hamstrings, calves, hip flexors, lower back, and lower ab muscles.
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- Mila Kunis “Black Swan” Weight Loss Diet - June 30, 2018
- Emilia Clarke Diet And Fitness – Get A Hot Body Like Khaleesi - June 29, 2018
- Revealed! Gal Gadot’s “Wonder Woman” Workout And Diet - June 29, 2018
- Jennifer Lawrence’s Diet And Workout Plan For Weight Loss And A Toned Body - June 29, 2018
- Mama June’s 300 Lb Weight Loss – How She Dropped To Size 4 From Size 24 - June 28, 2018