Don’t you wish to go back to the time when you weighed 10 pounds less? Are you bored of wearing loose clothes, dark jeans, and body shapers to hide your figure flaws? The fact is, these clothes cannot protect you from obesity-related diseases such as PCOD, diabetes, cardiovascular disease, and infertility. But losing weight can. So, if you are serious about getting back in shape, do more than just eating healthy and exercising. Having supplements can speed up the process and one such natural weight loss supplement is Spirulina. This blue-green alga is branded “Best Food for the Future” by the UN for many reasons, weight loss being one of them. Read on to find out how spirulina aids weight loss, where to buy it, dosage, and much more.
How Spirulina Aids Weight Loss?
Spirulina and weight loss – the magical connection. Before we delve in further let me first give you a brief introduction to Spirulina. Spirulina is a floating microalga found mostly in the water reservoirs of Africa, India, Mexico, and America. Spirulina is highly nutritious, a reason why it was promoted by the Intergovernmental Institution for the use of Micro-algae Spirulina Against Malnutrition (IIMSAM) to fight starvation and malnutrition in the 70s. Even the NASA recommends spirulina as food for astronauts on a space mission. It is also consumed by soldiers during wars that last long. And here is how spirulina benefits weight loss.
1. Low Calorie
One tablespoon (7 g) spirulina contains only 20 calories. Consuming low-calorie food is critical if you want to lose weight. It will help create a negative energy balance. Therefore you can add it to your morning smoothies or juice without having to worry about consuming too many calories (1).
2. High Protein
When it comes to weight loss, a low carb and high protein diet work for most dieters. Spirulina contains about 60-70% protein and comprises all the essential amino acids. Proteins take longer to digest than simple carbs. Spirulina can keep you full for longer. Also, proteins help build lean muscle mass thereby making you look toned and increasing your muscle power and endurance (2) (3).
3. Highly Nutritious
Spirulina is rich in vitamins C, B1, B6, B5 and E and minerals such as copper, zinc, manganese, useful enzymes and dietary fiber that makes it a perfect weight loss supplement. These minerals, vitamins, enzymes, and dietary fibers help in digestion, metabolism, removing toxins, and preventing fat absorption (4).
4. Antioxidant & Anti-Inflammatory Properties
Spirulina has antioxidant and anti-inflammatory properties. The antioxidants help to nullify the harmful oxygen radicals and prevent the body from producing proinflammatory molecules. This prevents the body from being in a state of stress and avoids inflammation. Toxic buildup and inflammation are two leading factors of weight gain, which spirulina can clearly protect you from (5).
5. Suppresses Appetite
6. Hypolipidemic Properties
Many scientific studies conducted to find the benefits of spirulina has confirmed that spirulina possesses lipid lowering properties. It helps to lower the bad cholesterol (LDL) and triglyceride levels in the blood and increases good cholesterol (HDL) in the blood. So consuming spirulina will boost fat mobilization, which is what is critical for weight loss (8) (9).
7. Lowers Blood Sugar
High blood sugar can increase the risk of developing insulin resistance, obesity, PCOD, and diabetes. Spirulina helps to lower the blood sugar levels in Type 2 diabetes patients. Therefore, if you include spirulina in your diet you can prevent insulin spikes, and further protect yourself from diseases and prevent weight gain (10).
8. Lowers Blood Pressure
Spirulina also helps to lower systolic and diastolic blood pressure thereby making it a potent antihypertensive agent. High blood pressure and stress leads to weight gain, and spirulina supplementation can guard you from becoming plump, especially in your tummy area (11).
So, those are the 8 reasons why spirulina is considered one of the best weight loss supplements. Now, let’s find out how you can consume spirulina.
How To Consume Spirulina For Weight Loss
Let’s have a look at the spirulina dosage for weight loss both in powder and tablet form.
- You may stir a tablespoon of spirulina powder into your juice or smoothie.
- You may stir a tablespoon of spirulina powder into a glass of water.
- You can add a tablespoon of spirulina powder to your salad, soups, homemade salsa sauce, curries, and stir-fried veggies.
- You may add ½- 1 tablespoon spirulina to your cakes, pastries, and homemade energy bars.
- If you want to take spirulina tablets, then it is safe to take 500 mg tablet 3-4 times a day.
Now, the one most important question is if consuming spirulina is safe? Here’s the unbiased answer.
Is It Safe To Consume Spirulina?
Spirulina is approved by the FDA as safe for consumption. But that said, I suggest that you consult a doctor before starting spirulina. That’s because you may be allergic to spirulina or you may do much better by consuming any other natural weight loss supplement, or you may not even need to consume spirulina. Also, avoid consuming spirulina if you are allergic to seafood or suffer from hypothyroidism. Though it is safe for consumption, you may feel feverish or fatigue after you consume spirulina. Again, it depends on the individual.
Here is a list of things you should consider before buying spirulina for weight loss.
Things To Consider Before Buying Spirulina
You may buy spirulina online or at any pharmacy nearby. Check the label for the expiry date, buy from a known brand, and it should be organic.
You may not take an instant liking to the taste of spirulina in one go. So, here are few recipes that will help you to consume spirulina powder without feeling uneasy. Check out the recipes.
Spirulina Weight Loss Recipes
1. Spirulina In Veggie & Fruit Juice
- 1 tablespoon spirulina
- ½ cup orange
- ½ cup pomegranate
- ¼ cup carrot
- 2 tablespoon lime juice
- Pinch of Himalayan pink salt
How To Prepare
- Toss the fruits and carrot into a blender and give it a spin.
- Strain the juice into a cup.
- Add lime juice, spirulina, and a pinch of Himalayan pink salt.
- Stir well before drinking.
2. Spirulina In Smoothie
- 1 tablespoon spirulina
- ½ cup celery
- ½ cup tomato
- ½ cup watermelon
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- A pinch of Himalayan pink salt
How To Prepare
- Blend all the ingredients using a food processor.
- Pour out the smoothie into a glass and add the spirulina, salt, and lime juice.
- Stir well before drinking.
3. Spirulina In Salad
- 1 tablespoon spirulina
- ½ cup grilled and shredded chicken breast / grilled tofu
- 1 cup blanched baby spinach
- ¼ cup blanched and chopped asparagus
- ¼ cup chopped tomatoes
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 tablespoons low-fat yogurt
- Salt and pepper to taste
How To Prepare
- To make the dressing, mix low-fat yogurt, olive oil, lime juice, a pinch of salt and pepper in a bowl.
- Add the shredded chicken or tofu to the bowl.
- Add the spirulina, spinach, asparagus, and tomatoes.
- Toss and turn well. Add a bit of salt and pepper if needed.
You may consume the recommended amount of spirulina daily and not lose an inch if you do not watch what you eat. Here is a sample diet chart to help you figure out what you should eat to lose weight.
Sample Diet Plan For Weight Loss
|Meals||What To Eat|
|Early Morning (7:00 – 7:30 a.m)||1 cup fenugreek seeds soaked water|
|Breakfast (8:00 – 8:45 a.m)||1 egg + fruit & veggie juice with spirulina + 2 almonds|
|Mid- Morning Snack (11:00 a.m)||1 cup green tea or 1 apple|
|Lunch (1:00 – 1:30 p.m)||Tuna/chicken/tofu salad with spirulina|
|Evening Snack (4:00 p.m)||½ cup popcorn + 1 cup peppermint tea|
|Dinner (7:00 – 7:30 p.m)||Chicken/lentil soup with veggies|
Why This Works
This sample diet chart clearly shows that you need to include a substantial amount of lean protein (fish, chicken, mushroom, lentils, tofu, soy, etc.), complex carbs (fruits and veggies), healthy fats (nuts and olive oil), and dietary fiber (fenugreek seeds, fruits, veggies, and lentil), metabolism boosting agents (green tea or peppermint tea), and weight loss supplements (spirulina) to shed the fat. And the best part is, there are other health benefits of consuming spirulina. Here’s they go.
Other Health Benefits Of Spirulina
- Spirulina helps to prevent the growth of Candida.
- It helps to detoxify heavy metals, especially arsenic.
- Helps to fight cancer.
- Spirulina is also found to inhibit the entry of deadly viruses (such as HIV) into the human cells.
- It increases stamina and energy.
- Fights liver disease.
- Improves bone health.
- Spirulina also helps treat anemia.
- It can prevent brain damage and improve memory.
- It is very useful to alleviate symptoms of PMS.
- Spirulina is very effective against sickness caused due to radiation treatment.
- It helps to keep the skin healthy.
Finally, I would also recommend you to keep the following points in mind when you start consuming spirulina for weight loss. Should you ignore these points, you can never lose weight.
Useful Tips For Weight Loss
- Workout regularly. You can train in a gym or exercise at home. Do a mix of cardio, strength training, and weights to get a slim and toned body.
- Avoid stress. Start counting backward starting from 5 (5,4,3,2,1) to stop yourself from getting anxious and worried.
- Try to eat home-cooked food most of the times to avoid consuming hidden calories present in sauces, marinades, salad dressings, etc.
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep every day to help your body repair and rejuvenate the wear and tear in the muscles as well as nullify the harmful toxins.
- Drink water when you feel hungry at an odd time. Your brain gives you the wrong notion of being hungry when you are just thirsty!
- Walk to and from office, take the stairs, stand and work for a few minutes—This will help you use up the calories.
- Say no to foods that are high in calorie, sodium, and sugar such as aerated drinks, packaged fruit and veggie juices, fried chicken, burger, pizza, fries, etc.
- Reward yourself every once in two weeks for adhering to a healthy diet chart. Allow yourself to eat 500 calories extra that day.
- Join a group where you can learn more about how to lose weight. Talk to people who have lost weight or are serious about losing weight to keep yourself motivated.
Weight loss is guaranteed if you follow these tips. Especially if you boost your weight loss by consuming spirulina. It is really amazing how much a single cell organism can do! And now it’s your time to lose the unwanted flab and bring out the confident and sexy woman in you. Start today, start now! Good luck.
Don’t forget to share your spirulina weight loss results with us. If you have any questions, please leave a comment in the box below.
- L-Carnitine For Weight Loss – Diet, Supplements, Benefits, And Side Effects
- Garcinia Cambogia Review – Weight Loss, Benefits, Side Effects
- Does Metformin Help You Lose Weight?
- 25 Best Herbs And Spices To Help You Lose Weight
Latest posts by Charushila Biswas (see all)
- 15 Yummy Low-Carb Side Dishes To Make Your Diet Interesting - April 16, 2019
- Are You Losing Weight Due To Stress? Here’s What To Do - April 4, 2019
- 8 Best MCT Oils You Will Love When You Are On A Keto Diet - March 29, 2019
- 10 Best Fitness Trackers/Fitness Bands You Won’t Regret Buying - March 29, 2019
- 12 Best Glute Exercises To Shape Up Your Buttocks - March 28, 2019