Is Milk Good For Hair? Benefits And How To Apply
Learn about all the wonderful things milk can do as a hair care ingredient.
Milk is a popular traditional hair care remedy used to soften and condition hair. But the benefits of milk for hair don’t end there. It is also said to reduce split ends and manage dryness. Milk may also curb frizz, smoothen hair, and improve hair texture. It can also be paired with other ingredients like eggs and fruits to make hair masks and packs. Using these masks replenishes hair and offers a visible transformation in your hair condition. Keep reading to explore the benefits of using milk on your hair and understand how to use it effectively.
In This Article
Benefits Of Applying Milk On The Hair
Milk is rich in proteins, vitamins, and antioxidants and is beneficial for health (1). It is often used in traditional recipes to keep the hair soft and smooth. While there is no scientific evidence to prove the efficacy of topical application of milk for the hair, anecdotal evidence claims that it conditions the hair and restores its natural shine. Let’s check out the other benefits of washing your hair with milk.
1. Reduces Split Ends
Excessive exposure to UV rays can damage your hair, affect the hair color and shaft’s integrity, and cause protein loss (2) This may make your hair brittle and cause split ends. Applying milk and milk cream can moisturize the hair and minimize split ends.
2. Conditions The Hair
If you have dry and frizzy hair, you can wash your hair with milk. The cream in milk smoothens the hair cuticles, moisturizes the strands, nourishes the scalp with milk nutrients, and works as a deep conditioner to keep your hair manageable, soft, and smooth.
3. May Help Control Hair Loss
If you want to try applying milk to your hair and see if it works for your hair type, you can follow the methods discussed below.
How To Apply Milk On Hair
Note: Use full cream milk or coconut milk for maximum hair benefits (if you are allergic to milk)
1. Milk As Hair Wash
You Will Need
- 200-300 ml of milk
- Detangle your clean and dry hair with a wide-toothed comb.
- Pour and massage the milk into your hair and scalp.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with a mild cleanser.
- Let it air dry.
2. Milk As Spray
You Will Need
- 200-300 ml of raw milk
- A spray bottle
- Pour the milk into the spray bottle. Adjust the quantity as per your hair length.
- Detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb and section it.
- Spray the milk covering your hair from root to tip.
- Repeat with all the strands.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and rinse thoroughly with water.
- You may use a mild shampoo to wash your hair.
Infographic: Amazing Benefits Of Applying Milk On The Hair
Milk is rich in proteins and antioxidants that offer many benefits. This traditional hair care remedy is used to condition and smoothen the hair. Applying milk to the hair minimizes split ends, nourishes the hair, and reduces hair loss. Click on the infographic below to learn more about the amazing benefits of applying milk to the hair.
The topical application of milk or its cream is believed to moisturize and condition the hair, thus eliminating the risk of split ends and dryness. Traditionally, it has been a common ingredient in hair masks and packs and used along with other ingredients like egg, fruits, and coconut milk to improve hair texture and shine. Therefore, use this natural and cost-effective remedy to give your hair the right nourishment and pampering. However, if you are allergic to milk, do not use it or go for alternatives like coconut milk.
Frequently Asked Questions
Can we apply milk to hair daily?
Yes, you can apply milk as a pre-wash treatment for an hour daily for soft and smooth hair.
Does milk cause gray hair?
No, milk does not cause gray hair. Gray hair may be caused by vitamin deficiencies (5). Milk contains essential vitamins and minerals which may slow down the graying of your hair (6).
Does milk increase dandruff?
Milk is rich in vitamins and minerals that may hydrate the scalp which may keep dandruff at bay.
Can we apply milk on oily hair?
Milk is rich in fat which may make your oily hair look more greasy. You will have to shampoo well afterwards if you apply milk on your hair.
- The Nourishing properties of milk may help improve hair texture and manage frizz.
- It may also control hair loss, minimize split ends, and deeply condition your tresses.
- You can use milk as a hair wash or use it as a spray.
- You can also add it to hair masks to enhance their benefits.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- Antioxidant properties of Milk and dairy products: a comprehensive review of the current knowledge
- UV damage of the hair
- Honey in dermatology and skin care: a review
- Evidence for Clinical Use of Honey in Wound Healing as an Anti-bacterial
Anti-inflammatory Antioxidant and Anti-viral Agent: A Review
- Three Streams for the Mechanism of Hair Graying
- Milk, whole