If you are dealing with frizz and using conditioners but do not feel much difference in your hair texture, why not try washing your hair with milk? Milk is widely used in traditional home remedies to soften and condition the hair. It has no potential side effects and can help you manage split ends and dryness. When it is mixed with other products like fruits or egg yolk, the benefits are visible within no time. Read on to know how milk is good for your hair and how to apply it to get maximum benefits.
In This Article
Benefits Of Applying Milk On The Hair
Milk is rich in proteins, vitamins, and antioxidants and is beneficial for health (1). It is often used in traditional recipes to keep the hair soft and smooth. While there is no scientific evidence to prove the efficacy of topical application of milk for the hair, anecdotal evidence claims that it conditions the hair and restores its natural shine. Let’s check out the other benefits of washing your hair with milk.
1. Reduces Split Ends
Excessive exposure to UV rays can damage your hair, affect the hair color and shaft’s integrity, and cause protein loss (2) This may make your hair brittle and cause split ends. Applying milk and milk cream can moisturize the hair and minimize split ends.
2. Conditions The Hair
If you have dry and frizzy hair, you can wash your hair with milk. The cream in milk smoothens the hair cuticles, moisturizes the strands, and works as a deep conditioner to keep your hair manageable, soft, and smooth.
3. May Help Control Hair Loss
If you want to try applying milk to your hair and see if it works for your hair type, you can follow the methods discussed below.
How To Apply Milk On Hair
Note: Use full cream milk or coconut milk (if you are allergic to milk) for maximum hair benefits
1. Milk As Hair Wash
You Will Need
- 200-300 ml of milk
- Detangle your clean and dry hair with a wide-toothed comb.
- Wash your hair with milk.
- Leave it on for 30 minutes.
- Wash off with a mild cleanser.
- Let it air dry.
2. Milk As Spray
You Will Need
- 200-300 ml of raw milk
- A spray bottle
- Pour the milk into the spray bottle. Adjust the quantity as per your hair length.
- Detangle your hair with a wide-toothed comb and section it.
- Spray the milk covering your hair from root to tip.
- Repeat with all the strands.
- Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and rinse thoroughly with water.
- You may use a mild shampoo to wash your hair.
Milk is widely used in traditional recipes to condition the hair. It is a cost-effective and natural remedy to keep your hair healthy, soft, and shiny. If you want to give this age-old remedy a try, follow the methods shared in the article. For added benefits, you can also use milk in your DIY hair mask recipes. However, if you are allergic to milk, you may use alternatives like coconut or soy milk.
Frequently Asked Questions
Is honey and milk good for the hair?
Yes. Honey and milk are excellent conditioners for the hair. You can mix them or use them in DIY masks to keep your hair healthy and shiny. Honey has antimicrobial, anti-inflammatory, and wound-healing properties and can help moisturize your scalp and keep it healthy (3), (4).
How long should I leave milk in my hair?
You can leave it on for 30 minutes and wash it off.
Can milk straighten hair?
There is no scientific proof for it. Moreover, the hair pattern depends on the shape of the follicles and the disulfide bonds
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Check out our editorial policy for further details.
- Antioxidant properties of Milk and dairy products: a comprehensive review of the current knowledge
- UV damage of the hair
- Honey in dermatology and skin care: a review
- Evidence for Clinical Use of Honey in Wound Healing as an Anti-bacterial
Anti-inflammatory Antioxidant and Anti-viral Agent: A Review
- How To Use Coconut Milk For Hair Growth?
- 5 Methods To Straighten Your Curly Hair
- Top 10 Garnier Hair Straightening And Smoothing Products In India
- Hair Straightening Cream – Our Top 18
- How To Use Hair Straightening Cream?