Sunflower oil is among the most popular vegetable oils, but did you know that it helps improve hair as well? This oil is extracted from sunflower seeds and contains vitamins and minerals that can benefit hair. In this article, we delve into the benefits of sunflower oil for hair. Keep reading!
Table Of Contents
Is Sunflower Oil Good For Hair?
There is much anecdotal evidence boasting about the umpteen benefits of sunflower oil. The oil is said to treat dandruff, boost hair growth, prevent hair loss, improve hair and scalp cleanliness, and increase hair smoothness. It also could have humectant properties and moisturizes the hair and scalp.
But do these claims have any scientific backing? Read on to know.
Benefits Of Sunflower Oil For Hair
- Has Antioxidant Properties: Sunflower oil is rich in vitamin E that has antioxidant properties (1). These antioxidant properties prevent signs of aging caused by free radicals.
- Has Anti-Inflammatory Properties: Sunflower oil has anti-inflammatory properties and may help treat signs of scalp inflammation like redness, flaking, irritation, and bumps (2).
- Suitable For Head Massage: Sunflower oil is a well-known emollient and can be used to massage the scalp and nourish hair. Research shows that massaging the scalp can stimulate hair growth by improving blood circulation (3).
- Has Antimicrobial Properties: Research shows that sunflower oil also has antimicrobial and antibacterial properties that can help improve scalp and hair health (2).
- Protects And Repairs Hair: Sunflower oil contains linoleic acid that is rich in triglycerides. These compounds repair and protect hair (4).
- Has A Non-Greasy Texture: Sunflower oil is light and non-greasy in texture. These attributes make it an ideal addition to hair care products (4).
- Moisturizes Hair: Sunflower oil is rich in polyunsaturated fatty acids like oleic and linoleic acid that help moisturize hair (4).
- May Treat Scalp Acne: Research shows that sunflower oil can help treat acne (5). This may mean it could help treat scalp acne as well. However, limited research is available in this regard.
- Is Rich In Nutrients: Sunflower oil (seeds) also contains niacin, selenium, calcium, and iron (6). A deficiency of these nutrients can cause hair loss (7).
- Improves Hair Quality: Sunflower oil can penetrate the hair fibers and coat the hair with a thin film to protect it from damage. It also can increase hair shine and decrease surface friction to help fight hair frizz (8).
These are the ways sunflower oil could benefit your hair. The following section lists a few methods of using the oil to derive the maximum benefit.
How To Use Sunflower Oil For Hair
- Deep conditioning treatment: Sunflower oil can be massaged onto the scalp to moisturize the hair and scalp. Warm two to three tablespoons of sunflower oil and apply thoroughly to the scalp and hair. Place a shower cap over the hair and leave it on for 45 minutes to an hour. You can also use a warm towel to wrap your hair. Wash as usual.
- Anti-Frizz Drops: Sunflower can help moisturize hair and prevent frizz. Add a drop or two of sunflower oil onto your palm. Rub your palms together to spread the oil and gently rub your palms over your hair. This adds a light shine to your hair and also prevents frizz.
- Hair Masks: Sunflower oil can be added to homemade DIY masks to improve hair texture and quality. You can pair sunflower oil with honey, coconut oil, essential oils, and eggs.
- Conditioner And Shampoo: Research shows that adding sunflower oil to your shampoo or conditioner can help moisturize hair while cleansing it too (4).
But before you grab a fresh pack of sunflower oil, here is what you must know – the oil may cause certain adverse reactions too.
Side Effects Of Sunflower Oil For Hair
Topical sunflower oil is generally safe. But it may lead to serious allergic reactions in some individuals. These reactions are caused by particular pollen (9). Hence, it is advised to perform a patch test on the elbow or the back of the neck to check for any adverse effects. If you experience any redness, inflammation, rashes, bumps, etc., consult a doctor.
You may continue to use sunflower oil should you experience no allergies. That brings us to a popular question – how is this oil different from coconut oil? Which of the two is better?
Sunflower Oil Vs. Coconut Oil For Hair
Coconut and sunflower oils are both beneficial for hair. However, coconut oil prevents protein loss from hair, while sunflower oil does not (10). While both oils can penetrate the hair fibers, sunflower oil cannot penetrate the cortex. Coconut oil, however, can penetrate the cortex due to lauric acid (8), (10).
More concrete research on the hair benefits of sunflower oil is warranted. While you can use it regularly for some of its advantages, ensure you do a patch test prior. Consult your doctor if you experience any allergy symptoms. But otherwise, adding this oil to your regular hair care routine can possibly help improve your hair shine, decrease frizz, and promote overall hair health.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Does sunflower oil lighten hair?
Sunflower oil is commonly used in many hair lightening masks. However, there is no scientific evidence to support its hair lightening properties. The oil is prone to oxidation because of its high unsaturated fatty acid content (11). While some believe this may lighten the hair, more research is warranted.
How long can I leave sunflower oil in my hair?
Sunflower oil can be left in your hair for a few hours or even overnight. But ensure you do a patch test prior.
- Selected Evidence-Based Health Benefits of Topically Applied Sunflower Oil, Applied Science Reports,
- A Review on Heliotropism Plant: Helianthus annuus L, The Journal of Phytopharmacology,
- Standardized Scalp Massage Results in Increased Hair Thickness by Inducing Stretching Forces to Dermal Papilla Cells in the Subcutaneous Tissue, Eplasty,
- Oil Infused Shampoo: Current Hair Care Trend, International Journal Of Current Engineering And Scientific Research,
- Medicinal Use of Sunflower Oil and Present Status of Sunflower in Pakistan: A Review Study, Science, Technology and Development,
- A review of phytochemistry, metabolite changes, and medicinal uses of the common sunflower seed and sprouts (Helianthus annuus L.),
- The Role of Vitamins and Minerals in Hair Loss: A Review, Dermatology Therapy,
- Hair Cosmetics: An Overview, International Journal of Trichology,
- Sunflower seed allergy
- Effect Of Mineral Oil, Sunflower Oil, And Coconut Oil On Prevention Of Hair Damage, International Journal Of Cosmetic Science,
- Antioxidant activity of sesame seed lignans in sunflower and flaxseed oils, Food Research,
- 7 Amazing Benefits Of Sunflower Oil
- Garlic Oil: Health Benefits And Side Effects
- Almond Oil: The Benefits For Face, Skin, Hair, And More
- How Does Vitamin E Help In Hair Growth?
- How To Use Patanjali Kesh Kanti Hair Oil?
Latest posts by Anjali Sayee (see all)
- Postpartum Hair Loss: Causes And Tips To Prevent - March 1, 2021
- 20 Best Drugstore Anti-Aging Products - March 1, 2021
- Oil Slick Hair: What Is It And How To Get It - February 23, 2021
- 9 Best Deodorant Soaps To Help With Body Odor - February 22, 2021
- Malibu Hair Treatment: Benefits and How To Do It - February 18, 2021