9 Tips To Make Your Baby’s Skin Glow
Give your child the gift of a healthy, dewy glow to complement their adorable cheeks.
Most people search for tips to make the baby’s skin fair even before delivery. As the saying goes-‘well begun is half done,’ it is best to start taking care of your baby’s skin from the initial days itself. It will benefit them with a lifelong gift of bright and healthy skin. Read on to know some tips to make your baby’s skin happy and healthy.
How To Make Your Baby’s Skin Glow – Our Top 9 Tips
1. Go For A Hot Oil Massage
Hot oil massages with olive oil or almond oil are excellent for your baby’s skin. Warm the oil slightly and rub it into your munchkin’s skin gently. These oils are known to deeply moisturize, protect, and enhance your baby’s skin (1) .
Coconut oil too is a great option to try as a massaging oil. It dramatically improves the skin tone of your baby and makes it glow. Try some gentle exercises after massage for better growth of the body and peaceful sleep.
2. Try A Homemade Mild Body Pack
Body masks are perfect for improving your baby’s skin health and protecting it from infections. One such ideal body pack for babies is sandalwood, turmeric, and saffron paste. (2), (3), (4).
Apply the paste to your child’s skin and leave it on for 10 minutes. Then, gently wipe it off with a moist cotton cloth.
This body pack brightens your baby’s skin tone and removes dirt effectively.
3. Use Water At Optimal Temperature For Bathing
Dr. K.Harish Kumar, MD, DVL, states that the temperature of the water you use to bathe your baby plays a crucial role in the condition of their skin. Make sure that the water is not too cold or hot. Maintain a comfortable, warm temperature that wouldn’t cause discomfort to the baby. Extreme temperatures can cause dryness and dullness and can damage the texture of your baby’s delicate skin.
4. Don’t Use Soap
Dr. K.Harish Kumar, MD, DVL, recommends not using commercially available soaps on your little one’s skin. They are harsh and can dry it out.
Instead, opt for natural skin cleansers like gram flour, which enhance the skin texture. Soaps are harsh and full of chemicals that make your baby’s skin dry and dull.
5. Try Fruits
Nothing like feeding your baby fresh fruits (consult your doctor first). Fruits are a great addition to their everyday diet as they are full of nutrients and fiber, and help cleanse your baby’s body from within, thereby helping in the overall improvement of their skin.
6. Use A Mild Moisturizer
Using a moisturizer is essential. It locks the moisture into your baby’s skin and prevents it from drying out (5).
Choose a moisturizer that is gentle on the skin and designed to use on babies. It is recommended to moisturize the skin of your baby every 4 hours for best results.
7. Ensure Your Baby Is Hydrated
Keep a check on your baby’s hydration level. Drinking water helps to flush out toxins, and so is the case with your baby (6). However, check with your doctor for what the right amount is for him/her.
8. Opt For A Mild Sunbath
Sunlight is a source of life energy. Letting your child soak in the early morning sun is great for his/her skin. Your baby will get a good dose of vitamin D, which will enrich his/her skin and protect it from infections and disease (7). . Also, opt for baby sunscreen for better retention (consult your doctor regarding this).
9. Get Baby Wipes
Babies tend to play with everything, whether it is their food or dirt. Therefore, it is important to be very conscious about their hygiene and cleanliness. Cleansing their skin is something that you need to do often, and using soft and natural baby wipes is a good idea.
Also, baby wipes come handy during travel and help keep your baby’s skin clean and rash-free. Baby wipes that are rich in glycerin are a good option to keep allergies at bay (8).
The tips mentioned above are quite simple, aren’t they? If you follow them diligently, they will give you amazing results and your baby’s skin will start to glow. Now, let’s take a look at some precautions to keep in mind while taking care of your little one’s skin.
Precautions To Keep In Mind
- Always, always handle your munchkin’s skin gently. Do not rub too quickly or scrub too hard.
- Do not leave his/her skin wet. Dry it up using a clean, soft towel.
- Never use products meant for adults on your baby’s skin.
- Always conduct a patch test of any scrub or pack that you wish to use on your little one’s skin.
- Keep in mind the weather conditions and adjust your baby’s skin care regimen accordingly.
- Dress your baby in clean, comfortable, and breathable clothing to avoid skin irritations.
Infographic: 4 Best Natural Ways To Make Your Baby’s Skin Glow
We all know that a baby’s skin is extremely delicate and susceptible to infections, but there are some practices you can follow that will make your child glow. Check out the infographic below to learn some easy and natural ways to make your baby’s skin appear fair, soft, and glowing.
Tips to make baby’s skin fair are among the most searched things by new parents. It is believed that your child will have healthy and happy skin if you start taking care of it right from the beginning. So, most people try several home remedies to keep the baby’s skin bright and radiant. Hot oil massages, homemade mild body packs, mild moisturizers, and sunbaths help improve your baby’s skin. Also, cleanse dirt and protect your baby’s skin from infections, pollution and diseases. Always use water at optimal temperature for bathing your baby, and use natural skin cleansers instead of soaps. Follow the tips mentioned in our article to provide your baby with healthy and bright skin.
Frequently Asked Questions
When do I begin to start a skincare regime for my baby?
Take the advice of your doctor and do accordingly.
Is it better to use natural homemade products or market-bought ones for my baby’s skin?
Whatever is convenient for you and whatever works well for your baby’s skin is the better option. The advantage of using homemade products is that you know what goes into them.
Does breast milk affect a baby’s complexion?
There is a lack of evidence suggesting that breast milk affects a baby’s complexion.
Who determines the skin color of a baby?
The genes of both parents determine the skin color of the baby.
How long does it take for a baby’s skin color to come in?
It can take anywhere between 6 to 20 months for a baby’s complexion to come in.
- Avoid using harsh chemical soaps and moisturizers for the baby. Also, rub gently and do not scrub the baby’s skin.
- Expose your baby to fresh air and early morning sun for a dose of vitamin D for infection-free skin.
- Plan a routine to massage the baby with natural oils before a bath.
- Apply the homemade pack to the baby for ten minutes before bath for supple skin.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- The Effect of Massage with Oils on the Growth of Term Infants: A Randomized Controlled Trial
- Evaluation of the efficacy and safety of “Baby Powder” in infantile hyperhidrosis, miliaria rubra and bad body odor
- Prevalence and perceptions of infant massage in India: study from Maharashtra and Madhya Pradesh states
- Dermoprotective Effects of Saffron: A Mini Review
- A Randomized Pilot Clinical Assessment Of Three Skincare Regimens On Skin Conditions In Infants
- Water, Hydration and Health
- Sun Exposure in Children: Balancing the Benefits and Harms
- Effect on skin hydration of using baby wipes to clean the napkin area of newborn babies: assessor-blinded randomised controlled equivalence trial