You know that perfect beach hairdo with slightly tousled waves that everyone wants during the summer? That’s type 2A hair! While 2A hair looks fine and thin, it has natural volume that makes it look lovely in its natural state. In this article, we give you the 411 on type 2A hair. Read on to know how you can style it and take care of it!
In This Article
What Is 2A Type Hair?
Did you know that your hair type is determined by your hair follicle? Wavy hair is formed when the follicle is slightly bent. There are many hair types ranging from 1A to 4C. Type 2 hair refers to wavy tresses.
If you have hair that is straight from the roots to near the eyes and then falls into gently tousled waves, you have 2A type hair. It is best described as not quite straight and slightly curly hair. The slight S-shaped bends in the hair provide a natural bounce and body.
Here are some tips to help you give your 2A waves some TLC!
How To Take Care Of Type 2A Hair
- Use products that cater to your wavy hair needs. While wavy hair might not have heavy frizz like curly hair, it does require some frizz control. So, invest in some frizz-control leave-in products.
- Another factor to consider is that wavy hair requires more hydration than straight hair but lesser than curly hair. So, it is important to use products that are specifically made for wavy hair. Wavy hair requires some essential hair products like volumizers and moisturizing hair masks.
- Oil your hair once every week or two with oils that improve your hair texture. Coconut oil, jojoba oil, and argan oil are the best for wavy hair. But remember, oiling your hair too often can weigh it down and fall flat. The best option is to oil your hair an hour or two before shampooing it so it does not leave your hair looking greasy. This moisturizes your hair and prevents the shampoo from stripping it dry.
- Using heat styling tools, like straighteners and curling irons, regularly can damage your hair. You can leave your wavy hair unstyled as it has a natural bounce and body.
- Opt for light hair products like foams, mousses, and serums instead of oil- or cream-based products that can weigh down wavy tresses.
- Get regular trims as wavy hair is prone to split ends.
Wondering how to style your 2A hair so you can flaunt it at its best? Scroll down to find out!
How To Style 2A Type Hair
- While 2A hair looks naturally styled, you can always invest in a 1.5-inch curling iron. It gives your hair a more elegant flow and enhances the waves just a bit more, offering more volume and bounce.
- If you use heat styling tools often, make sure you apply a heat protectant beforehand. Heat protectants shield your hair from the heat damage caused by curling irons and straighteners.
- If you want to enhance your waves, apply a curl-defining product. Then, scrunch your hair with your hands. You can use a finishing spray or hairspray to seal the hairdo.
- While 2A hair has natural volume, it can often look thin and fine. Use a volumizing product that can enhance your hair’s natural body.
- Another easy way to enhance your waves is to tie your hair in braids overnight. Wash your hair and let it air-dry until it is damp. Then, divide your hair down the middle and weave both sections in braids. The tighter the braids, the wavier your hair will be.
- Invest in wavy-friendly hair products like frizz-control mousses or serums as they reduce frizz and static substantially. Use a detangling serum that helps prevent hair breakage or damage while combing or styling wavy hair.
- Keep a dry shampoo handy. Wavy hair becomes oily at the roots and often needs regular hair cleansing. Shampoos can dry out and damage your hair if used excessively. Instead, use a dry shampoo that reduces excess sebum and imparts texture to your hair.
- When styling your hair, opt for a styling mousse or foam instead of styling gels and creams. Styling gels and creams can make your hair look greasy and weighed down.
- The concentrated hot air from the blow dryer can cause serious heat damage to your wavy hair. When drying your hair with a blowdryer, use a diffuser as it spreads the hot air evenly and prevents heat damage.
- Instead of rubbing your hair dry with a terrycloth towel, use a soft cotton towel to pat or scrunch it dry. This prevents wavy hair from getting damaged, frizzy, or tangled.
- If you wash your hair before going to sleep, wrap it in a satin scarf or a thin cotton T-shirt. This prevents your hair from becoming frizzy.
While embracing your natural hair texture is important, there is nothing wrong with wanting curlier hair. Read on to know how!
How To Make Wavy Hair Curlier
There are many ways to make your 2A wavy hair curly:
- Apply a curl-defining to wet hair, scrunch it with your fingers, and plop it in a T-shirt until it dries. This will give you loose curls without applying heat.
- You can temporarily curl your hair with a curling iron or hot rollers as well.
- Use a blowdryer and a round brush to enhance your wave structure.
- If you’re looking for a more permanent option, consider getting a perm that uses chemicals to change the structure of your hair and make it curlier.
Did you know that the brush you use can affect your hair texture? Read on to find out the right brush to use for 2A hair.
Brushes For 2A Type Hair
Choosing the right hair brush for your 2A hair can enhance its texture apart from detangling it. You need a brush that will build volume, reduce frizz, detangle your hair, define its texture, and prevent flyaways.
- For removing tangles or knots, you will need a detangling brush. A detangling brush can also help air-dry your hair faster instead of using a blow-dryer.
- You can use a wide-toothed comb to just comb your hair. It does not flatten out your natural waves and helps remove tangles. Another plus point is that it does not cause frizz.
- A vented ceramic brush can help increase hair volume and enhance wave shape.
- A vented round brush can help distribute hot air when using a blowdryer.
The best thing about 2A hair is that it naturally looks styled. Those slight S-shape bends make it look perfectly tousled and just right! With the right care and minimal styling, your wavy locks can look salon-styled! Just make sure you moisturize it well and control its frizz.
- 11 Best Products For 2B Hair
- How To Improve Your Hair Texture Naturally – 9 Ways
- 7 Best Products For Type 2A Hair
- What Are The Different Hair Types? How To Determine Your Hair Type?