Cellulite is the result of excess fat buildup in your connective tissues, leading to those wavy dimpling of skin appearance. While there are many treatment options, creams, and lotions are commercially available to help get rid of it, have you tried using coconut oil for cellulite? Yes, you got it right! The simple, nutrient-rich coconut oil is all you need to get rid of those stubborn fats. Read on to know how coconut oil can help you achieve that silky smooth skin without any bumps or marks of cellulite!
In This Article
What Is Cellulite?
Cellulite is formed when fat accumulates around our thighs, hips, butt, and abdomen. This results in the dimpling of your skin (resembling cottage cheese). It looks really unattractive and makes you very conscious of what you wear. This skin condition becomes highly visible when the connective tissues holding the skin and muscles underneath produce a distinct fat layer in between, making a sandwich. The dimpling is caused due to the pushing of the excess fat onto the skin (1).
Cellulite isn’t very uncommon. A lot of women, especially those who are in their teens and middle age, are prone to it. It might sound a bit surprising, but genetics play an important part in the formation of cellulite. And it goes without saying that overweight people are more prone to it as compared to the healthier ones.
So, what makes coconut so useful in treating cellulite? What is the relation between coconut oil and cellulite? Let’s take a look.
Ways To Use Coconut Oil For Cellulite Removal
- Consuming Coconut Oil
- Application On Cellulite-Affected Areas
- Dry Brushing With Coconut Oil
- Coconut Oil And Coffee Scrub
- Coconut Oil And Essential Oil Mix
How To Use Coconut Oil For Cellulitis
You can use coconut oil in more than one ways to reduce cellulite. Here’s how:
1. Consuming Coconut Oil
One method to use coconut oil is to consume it daily. You can either have two tablespoons of coconut oil daily before your workout or use it in your cooking.
While everyone may not be comfortable with the idea of ingesting coconut oil, it is not so difficult either. You can use coconut oil for cooking. Besides, you can also mix coconut oil with beverages and foods.
2. Application On Cellulite-Affected Areas
The topical application of coconut oil is the easiest way to get rid of cellulite.
Massage virgin coconut oil every day on the cellulite-affected parts of your body. This oil gets absorbed by the human skin easily, and it breaks the fatty deposits in cells. It also nourishes the skin and makes it softer, smoother, and younger-looking (2), (6), (7).
3. Dry Brush and Coconut Oil For Cellulite
This is a very popular method to remove cellulite.
In this method, coconut oil is applied to the cellulite-affected skin areas. Then, the areas are massaged with a dry brush. For best results, choose a natural, preferably vegetable-based brush. Avoid using the ones made with artificial fibers. Applying coconut oil immediately after a hot shower and then rubbing your skin with a brush stimulates your body’s lymphatic system (8).
This method further helps in eliminating toxins and fats accumulated in the cells by opening up the pores. Dry brushing also helps to get rid of dry skin on the kneecaps, elbows, and ankles. This ensures tighter skin, proper lymphatic drainage, and improved blood flow to all the organs (8).
The Perfect Way To Dry Brush
Slather your body well with coconut oil. Now, brush your body in circular motions, starting from the feet and then to the legs, chest, abdomen, and arms. Make sure you brush counterclockwise on your stomach. Brush in long sweeps and totally avoid going all back and forth. Try not to scrub too hard as it may cause redness and burns. The best time for a dry brush is just before taking a shower. This way, you can easily wash off the excess oil. You can make use of this technique twice a day.
4. Coffee and Coconut Oil For Cellulite
Another method to reduce cellulite is to make a homemade coffee and coconut oil scrub. This scrub will also make your skin soft and smooth.
Mix coconut oil with sugar and coffee beans to make a natural scrub that will help reduce cellulite (9). The rough and raw texture of coffee and sugar will work as an exfoliant, opening up the clogged pores while coconut oil will ensure proper hydration in the skin. This mixture also stimulates proper lymph/blood flow in the body. Using warm coconut oil to make this mix is a good idea.
What You Need
- Coffee grounds – 1/4 cup
- Normal/brown sugar – 3 tablespoons
- Hot melted coconut oil – 2-3 tablespoons
What You Need To Do
Mix the ingredients to form a paste. Store it in a glass jar, and heat it just before using. The rough and raw texture of coffee and sugar will work as an exfoliant, opening up the clogged pores, while the coconut oil will ensure proper hydration of the skin. The smell of coffee also has an invigorating effect.
Massage this scrub effectively on the affected areas applying firm pressure. Wash it off after 15 minutes. You can use this scrub two to three times a week for best results. You will be able to witness positive results within one or two weeks.
5. Coconut And Essential Oil Mix
We all know the concept of carrier oils and essential oils, but did you know that mixing them can help us get rid of cellulite?
Well, that’s true. You may mix pure coconut oil with essential oils like pine or limonene and apply it on the cellulite-affected skin parts (10). Animal studies suggest that essential oil blends work wonders in dissolving excess fat stored under the skin layers (11).
So, what are you are waiting for? Try one of these natural ways to bid farewell to stubborn cellulite.
Ways To Augment Cellulite Removal
Consuming and applying coconut oil topically will help reduce cellulite to an extent. However, you should not think that these methods alone will suffice in removing it entirely. It is important that you undertake measures to get rid of cellulite and prevent its recurrence. There are various ways to do that. Take a look.
- Go Alkaline – Include alkaline foods like green leafy vegetables and fresh fruits in your diet. These foods help prevent the formation of acidic atmosphere in the body that paves way for cellulite formation.
- Fluids Are The Best – Drink plenty of water and fresh fruit juices. This helps discard toxins from the body cells. You also need to stop the intake of caffeine-laced drinks and OTC energy drinks.
- Sweat Your Fat Out – Working out is very important if you want to eradicate cellulite. If you cannot hit the gym daily, resort to biking or running. Aerobic exercises are also helpful in this regard. Try to do workouts that target your legs, abdominal muscles, and the pelvic region in particular.
- Ask Your Doctor – You may also take medical help to create a suitable diet plan that helps in cellulite removal. For people who have cellulite running in their genes, getting rid of it may require multiple approaches.
A Word Of Caution
Now that we know how to utilize coconut oil to reduce cellulite, we should also be aware of the risks involved in using this oil. Take a look.
- People with super sensitive skin need to test the oil on the underside of their wrist or feet to look for any allergic reactions. If your skin becomes red, patchy, and scaly, it is better to skip using these methods altogether.
- Having more than the desired quantity of coconut oil can lead to loose motions and high levels of cholesterol. So, don’t overdo it.
- Scrubbing too harshly can lead to a broken epidermal layer and dryness. So, be gentle with your skin even while scrubbing.
Coconut oil for cellulite reduction is the newest trend. This nutrient-rich oil has several skin benefits, and massaging or consuming coconut oil may help reduce or reverse cellulite. The oil is also known for its moisturizing and healing properties. Applying coconut oil to the affected areas and dry brushing with coconut oil may reduce the fat layer. However, people who allergic to coconut should avoid using the oil for cellulite reduction. In addition, people with sensitive skin need to perform a patch test before using it.
Frequently Asked Questions
How long does it take for coconut oil to work on cellulite?
It depends on how you use it. For example, using coconut oil and coffee scrub on the affected areas may help improve the condition in one or two weeks.
What is the quickest way to get rid of cellulite?
Using DIY coffee scrub, drinking lemon water, and dry brushing are a few simple hacks to get rid of cellulite.
How can I get rid of cellulite on my thighs?
You can get rid of cellulite on your thighs by staying hydrated, maintaining a healthy weight, doing squats and lunges, and taking collagen peptides.
Articles on StyleCraze are backed by verified information from peer-reviewed and academic research papers, reputed organizations, research institutions, and medical associations to ensure accuracy and relevance. Read our editorial policy to learn more.
- (PDF) Insights Into the Pathophysiology of Cellulite: A Review
- (PDF) Medicinal benefit of coconut oil
- An Open-Label Pilot Study to Assess the Efficacy and Safety of Virgin Coconut Oil in Reducing Visceral Adiposity
- Effects of dietary coconut oil on the biochemical and anthropometric profiles of women presenting abdominal obesity
- Effect of coconut oil on weight loss and metabolic parameters in men with obesity: a randomized controlled clinical trial
- Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils
- Moisturizers: The Slippery Road
- (PDF) Lymphatic Drainage techniques
- (PDF) THE APPLICATION OF CAFFEINE AS ANTI-CELLULITE COMPONENT OF BODY LOTION
- Development, Characterization, and Stability Evaluation of the Anti-Cellulite Emgel Containing Herbal Extracts and Essential Oils
- Effects of Essential Oils and Some Constituents from Ingredients of Anti-Cellulite Herbal Compress on 3T3-L1 Adipocytes and Rat Aortae