Very Low-Calorie Diet For Weight Loss – Benefits & Side Effects
While VLCD may help shed pounds, it may have adverse effects if followed for too long.
A planned and supervised low-calorie diet for weight loss can benefit people with BMI over 30. This 500-800 calorie diet replaces one or two of your meals with liquid shakes or smoothies. The National Library of Medicine reports that going on a VLCD helps lose 3-5 pounds per week (1). It can also reverse diabetes type 2, according to a breakthrough study by scientists at Newcastle University (2). Also, a VLCD helps lower cholesterol, blood pressure, and keeps the heart healthy. But VLCD is not for everyone. It is not safe for a perfectly healthy person. Read this post to know about VLCD, a VLCD diet plan, benefits, and side effects. Scroll down!
In This Article
How Does A VLCD Aid Weight Loss?
A VLCD lowers blood sugar, detoxifies the body, and improves insulini XA hormone created by the pancreas that is responsible for regulating the amount of glucose in the blood. sensitivity, thus doubling the flab loss in a short period. After the scientists at the Newcastle University proved that VLCD can reverse diabetes type IIi XA chronic condition in which the body does not produce enough insulin or respond to it, which results in unusual blood sugar levels. in human beings, scientists at Yale University used rat models to find out the way VLCD helps reverse diabetes type 2 (3). They found significant proof, and here are the details:
- VLCD Lowers Plasma Glucose: Being on a very low calorie diet for a few days can help lower your blood glucose/sugar levels. When your blood glucose levels are low, the cells will be less likely to store the unused glucose as fat.
- VLCD Improves Insulin Sensitivity: Improving insulin sensitivity can help the cells take up glucose from the bloodstream and use it as usable energy. This increases the satiety levels, lowers your food intake, and prevents you from gaining weight (flab).
- VLCD Reduces Gluconeogenesis: Gluconeogenesis is the biochemical pathway that leads to the synthesis of glucose (sugar) from non-carbohydrate sources, like protein. By reducing gluconeogenesis, your body will lower the amount of sugar in your blood and prevent the accumulation of excess sugar in the form of fat.
Other Ways A VLCD Aid Weight Loss
- Low In Calories: A very low calorie diet, as the name suggests, is very low in calories. When you consume fewer calories, the chances of storing the extra calories as fat are reduced. This leads to fat loss and eventually, slimming of the body.
- Consume Healthy Food: Say goodbye to junk food loaded with unhealthy refined carbs and trans fats, and learn to exercise food control. Healthy foods, cooked well (blanched, boiled, sauteed, baked, grilled or raw), are full of flavor and nutrition and will help you keep your calorie consumption low and lose weight without compromising your health.
- Detoxifies The Body: When you follow a VLCD, you will replace a solid meal with a liquid meal. And the best part of this change is that this liquid diet will help detoxify your body by adding a powerful dose of antioxidants. These scavenge the harmful oxygen radicals and lower the stress levels in your body. And this, in turn, leads to weight loss.
- Improves Gut Health: Replacing one or two meals per day can help improve your gut health. It will help clean your colon, improve digestion and absorption, and relieve constipation. When your gut starts to function normally, your metabolic rate will get a boost and help you convert the excess calories into energy.
So, it is clear that the VLCD works for weight loss. But is it for everybody who wants to lose weight? Well, here’s what you need to know.
Who Should Follow A Very Low Calorie Diet?
A very low calorie diet is NOT meant for everybody. It should be followed under the guidance of your doctor and a dietitian. And you can follow it if:
- Your BMI is over 30.
- Your obesity is threatening your life.
- You are not losing weight anymore, i.e., your weight loss has plateaued.
- You have already started following a sustainable and healthy lifestyle change by only healthy eating, meal planning and focusing on regular exercise and want to be on a “fast” once or twice a week.
If you fall into this category, the next question is, for how long should you be on a VLCD? Find out in the next section.
For How Long Should You Be On A VLCD To Lose Weight?
Depending on the amount of flab you need to lose, your doctor will recommend you to be on a very low calorie diet anywhere from 1-3 months to 4-12 weeks for weight management. A dietitian will work with you to see if you need to be on a VLCD for all the 7 days of the week, or 3-4 days per week will get you the desired results.
NOTE: Be careful about overdoing a very low calorie diet. If your doctor suggests following a 3-day VLCD for 2 weeks, adhere to your her/his instructions.
If you are on a very low calorie diet, how much weight can you expect to lose by the end of your VLCD term? Find out next.
How Much Weight Can You Lose On A VLCD?
As mentioned at the beginning, you will lose 3-5 pounds per week. If you adhere to eating healthy, focus on fitness regularly, and follow a better lifestyle, by the end of 4 weeks, you will lose about 20 pounds. VLCDs can result in significant weight loss and improvements in metabolic health markers, such as blood pressure and blood sugar changes in body composition, including the loss of muscle mass and bone density. And by the end of 12 weeks, you will lose 60 pounds. But since the frequency of being on VLCD may change after a week or a month, you may lose an average of 44 pounds by the end of 12 weeks. Before beginning, you must also possess self-discipline, motivation, and accountability till you achieve your goals.
That’s a lot of flab you will lose in a short period. But what is it that you are allowed to eat? Here’s a sample very low-calorie diet chart for you to understand what you must avoid and what is considered healthy while you are on a VLCD.
Sample Very Low-Calorie Diet Chart
|Meal||What To Eat|
(7:00 – 7:30 a.m.)
|1 cup warm water with juice of half a lime and 1 teaspoon organic honey|
(8:00 – 8:15 a.m.)
|Spinach and avocado smoothie|
|Pre Lunch Snack|
|Tuna/tofu salad + 1 cup buttermilk|
|Post Lunch Snack|
|1 cup green tea + 2 saltine crackers|
(7:00 – 7:30 p.m.)
|1 cup blended chicken/mushroom soup|
Total Calories: 632
You will be replacing any of the two meals (breakfast and lunch, lunch and dinner, or breakfast and dinner) with a liquid diet. The very low-calorie diet chart includes all healthy foods like fruits, veggies, healthy fats, nuts, seeds, grains, herbs, spices, and natural beverages. Avoid consuming high-sodium, high-sugar, and trans fats. Also, be careful with the hidden calories in packaged foods like ketchup, packaged drinks, sauces, etc. And also don’t forget to incorporate physical activity in your everyday routine.
After following this diet for a few weeks, you will notice a gradual progress in your appearance and energy levels. And that’s because when VLCD is followed under the guidance of a professional, you will reap the following benefits.
Very Low Calorie Diet Benefits
- Lowers High Blood Pressure – Following a guided very low calorie diet can help lower high blood pressure.
- Lowers LDL Cholesteroli XAlso known as “bad cholesterol”, waxy, fat-like substances that increase the risk of heart diseases and stroke. – Restricting your calorie intake can help lower the levels of bad or LDL cholesterol. This helps improve your heart health.
- Helps Reverse Diabetes Type II – A very low calorie diet can help you lose weight by lowering your blood glucose levels. As a result, this improves insulin sensitivity, leading to reversing diabetes type II.
- Makes Life Easier – VLCD is meant for morbidly obese adults and adolescents. After following a very low calorie and balanced diet for a while and losing a few pounds of fat, patients feel healthier and better. Life becomes better, and day-to-day tasks become easier.
- Improves Mental Health – Being overweight takes a toll on your mental health as well. VLCD helps patients lose a lot of weight quickly, increasing their confidence and self-worth.
- Increases Energy Levels – Once you start losing the flab, you will feel energetic and be active all day long. This, in turn, will help you lose more weight.
There is more to losing weight that just looking good. But, you should always be careful with these extreme diets. Let’s see the side effects of a very low calorie diet.
Very Low Calorie Diet Side Effects
- Hair loss
- Dry mouth
Now, here’s the fact. If you are not supposed to be on a VLCD, but you still are, you will be in the soup. Check out the next section to find out who should avoid being on a very low-calorie diet.
Who Should Avoid A Very Low-Calorie Diet?
- Pregnant and lactating women
- Women or men over the age of 50
- Mildly obese women/men who can lose weight by eating right and exercising
- Morbidly obese individuals who are not guided by a doctor/dietitian to go on a VLCD
- Perfectly healthy individuals who want to lose weight without exercising or eating healthy
A very low-calorie diet, or VLCD, involves restricting calorie consumption between 500 to 800 calories and replacing one or more meals with liquids. It is not a long-term weight loss plan and can last between one and three months, depending on the amount of weight that needs to be lost and other factors such as age, and health conditions. A very low-calorie diet for weight loss should only be done under medical supervision and following strict guidelines to prevent negative health consequences. This diet has been studied to improve insulin sensitivity and cause substantial weight loss when practiced correctly.
Frequently Asked Questions
What does an 800 calorie day look like?
An 800 calorie diet meal plan for a day involves portion control, which includes small portions of nutrient-dense foods that are low in calories. For reference, you can have 1 boiled egg, 1 cup fat-free milk and half an apple for breakfast. For lunch, you can have a portion of tuna salad dressed with olive oil and lime. Dinner can be a cup of baked black beans accompanied by sauted vegetables. You are allowed to have unsweetened and dairy-free green tea or coffee in between meals.
How do I create a calorie deficit?
You can create a calorie deficit by consuming fewer calories than you use, performing activities that burn more calories than you have consumed or doing a combination eating less calories and doing more activities. The idea is to have more calories out than in.
- VLCD replaces one meal with a smoothie or shake and benefits people with a BMI of over 30.
- This diet improves insulin sensitivity, increasing the cells’ ability to use glucose from the bloodstream as usable energy.
- Following this diet may help improve gut health and digestion, clean the colon, and relieve constipation.
- Children and pregnant or lactating women should avoid VLCD.