A new hack for hair growth is in town, and everybody is raving about it! Vicks VapoRub can stimulate and boost hair growth in both natural and relaxed hair. But wait a minute! Isn’t Vicks VapoRub meant to decongest a blocked nose or soothe a headache? Is there a grain of truth in its potential hair growth capabilities? Let’s dig deep and find out if Vicks VapoRub works for hair growth. Scroll down to know more!
Table Of Contents
Does Vicks VapoRub Really Work For Hair Growth?
According to many vloggers, Vicks, a topical gel applied to the chest, neck, nose, and temples to help with a blocked nose or headache, may also help in hair growth. Let’s take a look at their process of applying Vicks and the results.
- Felicia Mesadieu tried the Vicks VapoRub treatment for 6 weeks and documented the before and after pictures that showed hair growth in her hairline.
She mixed Vicks with a rosemary mint cleansing conditioner by Renpure Solutions and applied it to the scalp once a week. However, she also used oil treatment every night by mixing rosemary, castor, lavender, and tomato oils.
- Sonya Beonit tried the Vicks treatment on her daughter for 4 months. She mixed Vicks Vaporub with 5-6 drops of black seed oil and massaged it onto the scalp. She applied some leave-in conditioner on the scalp and hair. The later treatments also included taking steam. And her hair did grow a lot in 4 months.
- Conecia, a YouTube vlogger tried the Vicks treatment on the edges of her scalp for 5 weeks. She applied the Vicks directly and left it on for 15 minutes before washing. Here’s the before and after picture:
Many other vloggers have also tried the Vicks VapoRub treatment and witnessed hair growth. What is it in Vicks that makes the hair grow? Let’s find out in the next section.
Vicks Vaporub Ingredients That May Cause Hair To Grow
The active or medicinal ingredients in Vicks are:
- Camphor – Has antimicrobial properties and helps heal wounds (1).
- Menthol – May unclog the pores on the scalp. It also relieves pain (2).
- Eucalyptus Oil – Helps enhance hair luster (3).
The inactive or non-medicinal ingredients in Vicks are:
- Cedarleaf oil – Has antimicrobial properties.
- Nutmeg oil – Helps relieve chronic inflammatory pain.
- Petrolatum – May help lock in moisture.
- Thymol – Helps heal wounds and stimulate hair follicles (4).
- Turpentine oil – May prevent fungal infections (5).
The ingredients in Vicks may seem to be beneficial for hair growth, but there is no scientific evidence to prove that it works. Vicks VapoRub is formulated for topical application during cold, headache, and sore throat.
If you are curious to know how to apply Vicks, check out the following section.
Ways Beauty Vloggers Have Used Vicks For Hair Growth
Note: There is no guarantee that it will help your hair grow. Also, it might tingle, so avoid applying in excess.
- Method 1 – Massage Vicks directly onto your scalp. Leave it on for 15 minutes and wash with a shampoo.
- Method 2 – Mix Vicks with black seed oil and massage onto the scalp. Leave it in for 15 minutes before washing your hair and scalp.
- Method 3 – Mix Vicks with a conditioner and apply it to the scalp. Leave it on for 10-15 minutes and wash your hair with a shampoo.
While people are gushing over this new hair growth hack, there are some significant concerns. Check out the next section for the complete picture.
What Are The Concerns Of Using Vicks On Your Scalp?
- Regular use of petrolatum or petroleum jelly is related to adverse health effects with estrogenic or antiandrogenic activity, which may lead to prepubertal gynecomastia (6).
- Turpentine oil is linked to renal failure, gastroesophageal hemorrhage, vomiting, chest pain, and loss of vision. (7).
- Leaving Vicks on the scalp for too long can irritate it.
All the vloggers used oils and followed a hair care routine while applying Vicks to the hair. Thus, it cannot be concluded that Vicks contributed to their hair growth. Moreover, why apply Vicks when it can harm in the long run? Do the following instead. Scroll down!
What Is The Best Way To Boost Hair Growth?
- Take Care Of Your Nutrition: Consume omega-3 fatty acids, legumes, nuts, green leafy veggies, carrot, beetroot, fruits, seeds, and dates for healthy hair growth.
- Have A Hair Care Routine: Oil your hair once a week, shampoo your hair twice a week, apply a hair mask once a week, and comb your hair daily to improve the blood circulation of your scalp.
- Reduce Stress. Stress can also prevent hair growth and cause excessive hair shedding. Take deep breaths whenever you are stressed out. Listen to music, take a walk, talk to a confidant, or seek professional advice. Adequate sleep is also recommended to reduce stress-induced body inflammation.
- Tie Your Hair While Sleeping. Keep your hair protected from chafing on the pillow while asleep. Comb your hair, tie it into a braid or bun, and cover it with a satin cap.
There is no scientific evidence to prove that Vicks VapoRub stimulates hair growth or strengthens the hair. Proper nutrition, a healthy lifestyle, and a good hair care routine using natural hair remedies can promote healthy hair growth. If you are experiencing hair loss or bald patches, consult a dermatologist. Relying on hacks that contain proven harmful ingredients like petroleum jelly and turpentine oil is not beneficial in the long run.
Expert’s Answers for Readers Questions
How long do you leave Vicks in your hair?
According to the vloggers who have tried this hack, you can leave Vicks on the hair for 10-15 minutes.
How do you get Vicks out of your hair?
Apply a clarifying shampoo and wash thoroughly to remove Vicks from your hair.
How often should I massage my scalp for hair growth?
Massage your scalp with pure coconut oil or herbal oils for hair growth.
Does Vicks VapoRub help grow hair?
No, there is no scientific evidence to prove that Vicks VapoRub can help the hair grow. Those who have tried Vicks VapoRub used it with other oils and hair care products.
- Camphor Induces Proliferative and Anti-senescence Activities in Human Primary Dermal Fibroblasts and Inhibits UV-Induced Wrinkle Formation in Mouse Skin
- The role and mechanism of action of menthol in topical analgesic products
- Changes in hair properties by Eucalyptus extract.
- Effects of Carvacrol, Thymol and essential oils containing such monoterpenes on wound healing: a systematic review.
- Influence of different oils on penetration of human hair by fungi.
- Estrogenic and anti-estrogenic activity of off-the-shelf hair and skin care products.
- A lethal danger in the home: turpentine poisoning
Latest posts by Charushila B (see all)
- Bleaching Brown Hair Safely At Home – Tutorial - March 4, 2021
- 15 Easy And Effective Homemade Avocado Face Masks - March 1, 2021
- How To Detangle Matted Hair Painlessly Without Cutting - March 1, 2021
- How To Wash Your Braids At Home - March 1, 2021
- 15 Best Enzyme Masks To Get Clear And Glowing Skin - February 28, 2021