Have you recently got your hair permed? Well, no guilt there! All of us want a unique hairstyle, and permanent waves are just one way to give yourself a quick makeover. But are you aware how long after a perm you can wash your hair? Well, it is important to know the answer because you do not want this special hair treatment to go to waste. Without the right information, you can ruin your curls. Let us dive into the truth behind washing permed hair and explore what is good for your curls post-treatment.
Table Of Contents
How Soon Can You Wash Your Hair After A Perm?
If you are wondering how long you should wait to wash your hair after a perm, it should be at least 48 hours. Some stylists suggest a gap of 36 or 72 hours before washing your hair after a perm. But this depends mostly on your hair type.
Your hair achieves a permed look due to the action of ammonium thioglycolate and disulfide bonds. The waving lotion might get deactivated if acted upon by water. Hence, it is best to let your hair rest and wash it 2-3 days after the procedure to be on the safer side.
Does this mean you can wash your hair with any shampoo? Find out in the next section.
Can You Wash Your Hair After A Perm With Any Shampoo?
No. The perming process might dry out your hair and increase the need for natural moisture. Therefore, it is important to use shampoos, conditioners, and serums meant specifically for wavy and curly hair. Use a dry shampoo instead of rinsing your hair for a couple of days beyond this time.
Do You Need To Moisturize The Hair After Washing?
Yes. Your permed hair needs moisture eternally, no matter how less or frequently you wash it. Your hair goes through a lot of protein damage during the process. This might leave your strands prone to dryness and damage. Add some hydrating products to your hair care routine and apply nourishing hair masks to keep your permed hair moisturized.
Let now find out what happens if you wash your hair right after a perm within 36 hours.
Can You Wash Your Hair 36 Hours After A Perm? What Will Happen?
Perming uses certain chemicals that change the keratin structure of your hair. It takes 3-4 days for your hair to lock the shape of the curls. During this time, if you apply water and shampoo to your hair, it may degrade the keratin and loosen your curls.
Hence, as stated earlier, it is important to wait for at least 48 hours before giving your hair the first wash. This gives the perming chemicals sufficient time to work on your hair and make it evenly curled.
Here are some useful tips for caring for your fresh perms.
Excellent Tips To Maintain Beautiful Permed Hair
- Always choose hair care products meant for permed hair. Use them as directed.
- Do not shampoo your hair more than once a week. Using shampoos frequently may strip your natural hair moisture.
- Sometimes, you can wash out your hair with a conditioner and skip the shampoo.
- Avoid brushing your wet hair as it may be lead to breakage.
- Do not wring your hair with a towel to dry it. Pat dry and use microfiber towels to absorb the moisture.
- Use a wide-toothed comb to detangle your hair.
- Do not swim in chlorinated water within three days of perming your hair.
- Tie your hair with a silk scarf while sleeping to prevent friction and frizz.
- Indulge in a luxurious hair spa treatment every month to keep your curls moisturized.
Perming is a popular hairstyling treatment, but the curls require proper care and maintenance to remain intact. You should ideally wash your hair only after 48 hours of getting a perm. Anything before that may compromise the effectiveness of the treatment.
Expert’s Answers For Readers’ Questions
Does a hair perm lead to damage?
Yes, a perm treatment may result in damaged hair.
Can you shampoo your hair before a perm?
Yes, perming begins with the application of shampoo as a pre-treatment.
- 15 Best Shampoos And Conditioners For Permed Hair (2021)
- 8 Simple And Effective Tips To Take Care Of Your Permed Hair
- 11 Best Products For Permed Hair
- 11 Best Shampoos For Permed Hair