Youngsters, especially those currently enrolled in schools, colleges or universities, often experience a state of listlessness while studying. It is a sense of boredom and impatience that prevent one from concentrating on studies. For all those affected by this sort of a condition, it is important to build your mental stamina that is required to study and understand the study materials well.
How To Improve Your Stamina For Studying?
Check out the following tactics to help improve your stamina while studying:
1. Remove Distractions:
Distractions create nuisances when you are trying to study. The best way to deal with them is to avoid them as much as possible.
- Switch off your phone. If that is absolutely impossible, keep it in silent (not on vibrate) mode and check only at a pre-decided interval.
- Pick a room, which is less noisy. Choose a room that is far away from the street. Keep away the children from the room where you are studying.
- Close the door when you are studying and ask members of the house not to disturb.
2. Make A Flexible Schedule:
There is nothing more depressing and de-motivating than failing to stick to a schedule. So it is best to make a schedule that allows room for such setbacks.
- Do not plan down to the minute. Make a list of things to be done and in the right order. Roughly estimating the amount of time and stipulate the hours of the day for each task. For example, ‘Geometry – morning, Spanish – afternoon, Chemistry – evening’.
- Make a chart of the things to be done and put it up on the wall. Tick whatever you are done with. This gives you a good idea of what is still left to be done, and the increasing number of ticks will keep you motivated.
3. Think Positive:
Thinking positive makes studying and almost everything in life less complicated.
- Instead of taking everything head on, portion your studies. Make small goals, such as ‘I’ll finish this chapter in the next three hours’.
- Do not ponder on mistakes; concentrate on how they made you a better student.
- Do not think about exams, even if they are just round the corner.
- Try studying with friends once in a while. When you study alone, a false sense of under-preparedness may haunt you. By studying and discussing with friends, you can actually gauge yourself and find out that you are not in any way less knowledgeable than them in your subjects.
Exercising is very important for building your stamina. It helps increase your physical as well as mental endurance.
- Exercise boosts neurotransmitters in your brain, which in turn makes you more alert.
- It helps in boosting your memory. A study in Neurobiology of Learning and Memory showed that people learned new words 20% faster after intense exercise.
- Exercising also reduces stress, which in turn helps you learn better.
5. Rest Adequately:
There is no use in slogging hard for 18 hours a day before the exams. Rest is necessary to keep your brain in a healthy state because:
- A sleep or rest-deprived individual cannot focus or concentrate on anything. So, studying in this state is quite useless.
- Sleep helps in consolidating your memory. Unless you sleep adequately, the new information you acquire by studying is simply going to leak out.
6. Use The 50-10 Rule:
This is the best way to increase your stamina for studying. This rule suggests that you study for 50 minutes and take a 10 minute break, and repeat. By adding a 10-minute break, you will allow your brain to relax before focusing again. In this 10 minute break, try to do something relaxing. Do a little yoga or meditate or just have a mini food break. You can also just lie on the bed with your eyes closed.
Did you find the information helpful? Would you like to add your own tips? Leave us your comments below.
Latest posts by Maanasi Radhakrishnan (see all)
- How To Remove Hair Color With Baking Soda? - July 20, 2017
- 33 Marvelous Benefits Of Jaggery (Gur) For Skin And Health - August 31, 2015
- 15 Best Selling Brands Of Rose Perfumes, Fragrances And Scents - August 19, 2015
- Is Hydrogen Peroxide A Cure For Sinus Infection? - August 10, 2015
- Is Prune Juice Effective For Weight Loss? - August 10, 2015