Here is a simple trick to stand out when greeting someone – try different ways to say hello! If we meet someone new or after a while, we try to be enthusiastic about our conversation. We typically say ‘Hello!’, ‘How are you?’ or a casual ‘What’s up?’. The only problem with that is that they are extremely boring, as you might expect. Even the usual good morning, good afternoon, and good evening can sound monotonous. It is usually easier to get people’s attention when you greet them funnily and uniquely. If you have trouble coming up with ideas, we have you covered. There is no need to spend all your brainpower trying to make a lasting impression every time you meet someone. Even a simple greeting can be humorous if said in a particular way. Try the following ways to say hello to entertain your friends!
a. Put on an accent – Use a funny or foreign accent while greeting.
b. Use silly voices – This can be entertaining, especially when you talk to a child.
c. Use an impersonation of someone – This will make your greeting even funnier!
d. Tell a joke – Laughter always wins hearts.
e. Greet in a foreign language – Switch it up by greeting in a foreign language, and be classy!
It is time to give the traditional greetings and conversations a rest! Instead, take a look at these ideas and get creative. Hopefully, this list of fun and quirky greetings will help you sound less generic. Continue reading for more inspiration!
World Hello Day is celebrated on the 21st of November every year to celebrate peace and the importance of resolving issues through open communication.
In This Article
Different Ways To Say Hello To People
- Hello, sunshine! How are you? Oh, your rays are already making my day brighter!
- Howdy, partner!
- Hey, howdy, hi! How is it going?
- What’s kicking, little chicken?
- Howdy-doody! Tell me what’s new!
- Hey there, freshman! Wassup? (While at high school or university).
- My name is (your name), and I think we can be great friends!
- Hi, mister! What is going on?
- I come in peace! Chow chow.
- Ahoy, matey!
- Hiya! Hi!
- Hello, governor!
- Top of the morning to ya! What’s going on?
- What’s cracking, bestie?
- GOOOOOD MORNING (the name of the person you are greeting)!
- Wassup, homey?
- Tring tring…this call may or may not be recorded for training purposes.
- Howdy, howdy, howdy, mister!
- Strangers are just friends we’ve never met. So hey! Wassup friend?
- Hi! At least we meet for the first time for the last time!
- Hello-hello! Who’s there? It’s me (your name) talking.
- Knock knock…(who is there?) It’s me, (your name)!
- Ghostbusters, watcha want?
- Yo! Wassup.
- Whaddup bro?
- Greetings and salutations, my man/woman!
- ‘Ello, matey. Wassup?
- Hiiiii, baaaaaby!
- Hi, honey bunch!
- Yoooouhoooo! Toodle doo, toodle dum.
- How you doin’?
- Hello Queen! Your entire look screams “slay”!
- What’s cookin’, good lookin’?
- Howdy, missus! How are ya?
- Hello there, daddycool!
- Hey, boo. Wacch ya doing? You just brightened up my day!
- Aloha princess! (Hawaiian)
- Hola paapi! (Spanish)
- Que pasa, madam! (Spanish)
- Bonjour monsieur! (French)
- Hallo miss! (German)
- Ciao babydoll! (Italian)
- Konnichiwa! (Japanese)
- Bing bing! How’s it going?
- Good day, young man!
- Morning! So good to see ya, good looking!
- Hello! There is my pumpkin! I miiiissed you
- What’s up with you, old soul? Wanna chat?
- Hello belle! You are glowing!
- Hey, munchkin! Why so chweet?
- Hey, hiiii. How is your weekend going? Mine just got better.
- Hey there, sunshine! Your rays have already brightened my day! How are ya?
- Hey love!
- Hi, cutie pie, sugar bun!
- This is where my bae is at!
- Hi, butterfly! Holaaa!
- Wassup, homie? How’s it going?
- Hello, babycakes! How are you?!
- Just where have you been all my life?
- Tough day? Need a hug?
- Waddup chica!
- Welcome to the club, boss!
- Hey homey! Welcome!
- Hey beautiful!
- Here comes the sun!
- Whatcha up to, dude?
- Bro, hey, how are you doing?
- Hi, lost buddy! Long time no see!
- Yo man, where were you?
- How are you doing, old man?
- How have you been, crazy coo?
- What’s sizzling?
- Hey mistaa, how do you do?
- What’s new? Tell me everything!
- What’s good in the hood?
- Ogenki desu ka? (Japanese)
- Namaste! How long has it been, dost?
- How are things going, bandhu?
- Comment allez-vous? (French)
- Ni hao ma? (Chinese)
- Como estas? (Spanish)
- Jal jinaess-eoyo? (Korean)
- Wagwan? (Jamaican)
- How farest thou?
- Hi homey! How’s life treating you?
- What’s up, buttercup?
- Hi, I just met you, and yes, this is crazy. Here’s my number – call me, maybe?
- Ua mai oe? (Samoan)
- ‘Sup, my homeslice?
- Hey bud! Mind if we catch up? I saw you like eons ago.
- How is life sailing?
- Hey Einstein, still cracking the old theory?
- Pos eisai? (Greek)
- Come va? (Italian)
- What’s the word, hummingbird?
- Habari yako? (Swahili)
- Como voce esta? (Portuguese)
- What’s smokin’? Tell your pal everything!
- Hey friend! What’s the latest buzz in your world?
Check out the next section for positive and considerate ways to say hello to people.
Classy Ways To Say Hello To People
Greetings can set the tone for a conversation and opting for a more sophisticated approach can make a lasting impression. These warm greetings can make people feel special and appreciated while being courteous in your interactions.
- Pleasure to see you.
- It’s a delight to see you.
- Wishing you a splendid day.
- How is the world treating you?
- I hope your day is off to a wonderful start.
- Hope you are having a beautiful day.
- Buenos dias.
- Well met, kind soul.
- Greetings and good vibes.
- Greetings and good tidings.
- Warmest regards to you.
- Hoping your day is as lovely as your smile.
Marijana, a blogger, shared her experience of living in the quiet town of Makarska and how she greeted people around her apartment building. She shared, “But I know that as soon as I walk down the street, I will cross paths with a stranger, we will look at each other, smile, and say: Bok (i)!”
You might have noticed that nowadays, people would rather look down at their phones, pretending to do something important, just to avoid saying something as simple as a greeting to other people. This is applicable to strangers and acquaintances as well! Greeting people nicely is a common courtesy slowly fading away as we become increasingly obsessed with social media.
In the virtual world, we are so used to talking to people electronically and impersonally that we have forgotten how to do it face-to-face. Just admit it, when a friendly stranger simply smiles and says hello as s/he walks by you, it makes your day just a little bit better. So, pass the kindness on!
Some of the most popular songs containing the word “hello” are “Hello” by Lionel Ritchie, “Hello, Beautiful” by Jonas Brothers, and “Hey There Delilah” by Plain White T’s.
Infographic: How To Say Hello To Folks In Different Countries So That You’re Remembered
The world is our oyster, and a beautiful place it is. There are several countries with innumerable cultures. While we are habituated to just saying ‘hello’ when we meet our acquaintances or friends, that may not be the case across the world’s nations. What if you travel to a different land tomorrow? How can you greet the locals there and build bonds that last? The following infographic makes it easy for you – by telling you how you can greet people in different countries.
An interesting and quirky greeting can be the ultimate ice-breaker. It can set the tone of the entire conversation, add humor to the mix, and make you an entertaining conversationalist. A few ways to make your first impression memorable are greeting in a foreign language, cracking a joke, and impersonating a mutual connection or celebrity. While you may feel a little uncomfortable initially, we can assure you that people will remember you for your interesting personality and charisma if you commit to a style. So, take cues from the ideas above or make a unique signature greeting. Adios!
Frequently Asked Questions
How do you say ‘hello’ in American slang?
Phrases like ‘yo,’ ‘’sup,’ and ‘hey, there’ are used instead of ‘hello’ in American slang.
How do British people say ‘hello’?
The British use phrases like ‘alright,’ ‘How you doing?,’ ‘What’s happening?,’ and ‘Hello, mate.’ to say ‘hello.’
How do you greet your crush?
You should greet them politely like a friend and address them by their name.
What is a Greek hello?
People greet each other with a ‘yassas’ or a more informal ‘yassou’ in Greece.
How do you say ‘hi’ in Korean?
You can greet someone with ‘annyeong haseyo’ or a more casual ‘annyeong.’
How do you pronounce ‘hello’ in Russian?
You can use ‘privyet’ or ‘zdraste’ for informal greetings in Russian.
Learn 30 diverse ways to say hello. Enhance your communication skills and make a lasting impression. Take a look.
Personal Experience: Source
i. The Simple Act of Saying Hello